Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

God%@*& p0300 - need vehicle specific advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2007, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is what I have read, so do I need my tranny rebuilt? Is there an easier fix? Should I talk to a dealership about this? I believe my warranty is up as I have 50k miles.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 09:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
In many cases, particularly 03' and 04' s the input shaft will wear and create reverberations picked up through the cam angle sensor . . .
Are you sure that isn't the crank angle sensor? I ask because typically, all the cam sensor does is allow the ECU to identify which cylinder is on the compression stroke and which is on the exhaust stroke, and this shouldn't cause misfire.

The crank angle sensor however, is what the ECU uses to reference crank position for the purpose of coordinating ignition events. If the ECU gets noise at this sensor, it will attempt to guess the crank position. This puts things into a default mode, where the ECU will just attempt to keep the engine running. Also, the crank is obviously connected to the tranny input shaft via the clutch. This would also explain why clutch changes tend to either initiate or eliminate the issue.

Just wondering.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
The KS is not the problem. If you log your ECU, you should find that the P0300 is not a product of high knock counts.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...e-detected.php
I disagree. i believe that the p300 code is a direct result of consistant knock counts.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by elhalisf
I disagree. i believe that the p300 code is a direct result of consistant knock counts.
I have to disagree, I have made many logs and shown no knock.. Especially when you are just cruising(not boosting)
Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

i saw it in mine as a pending code. when i do multiple pulls with 10+ counts of knock, a p300 pending code will appear. it will then trigger the CEL during normal driving. but i dont get actual misfire.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I know this is out of sequence, but is this code pertenant in IX's also?
Old Sep 11, 2007, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by elhalisf

One is not a result of another. Knock is not causing your car to misfire rather if your knocking bad enough it could change piston speed and trigger the po300 that way. (If you are knocking that bad, tune your car. That is just plain stupid to drive a car while knowing it is knocking like that)

All this talk about the misfire is a well known problem that is not related to KS. Hell, my car will do it idling and there is definitly no knock present.
I never even got it till I had the tranny rebuilt either.

Misfire code is all about crank speed vs cam speed. If the car does misfire, the crank will slow down for a bit and becomeout of phase, triggering the code.

I never looked because I took care of mine with the tune, but has anyone ever looked at the resolution of the crank signal to see if it is clean or maybe even an interference problem?
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:37 PM

I started having this issue once I switch from Stock to Twin PLate clutch. I hate it. I think it happenes because the f&^*& clutch is to light. I got my car flashed and still ahve the same issue. I will try to fix it and post here if I got it.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 02:35 AM
EvoM Guru

It happens with the factory clutch as well. The BAD thing about the dealer reflash is that once you go that route, it apparently has some adverse effect on the user's capability to reflash it for performance reasons.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 02:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you try everything and it's still not fix, i would bet it's your tranny dying, i went through this already. I bought the creader it helps. But after got my shepard tranny. Never miss fire again.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 03:05 AM
EvoM Guru

No, it isn't a problem with the tranny (mine has gone 45k miles after first getting the misfire). It's just something in there happens by pure chance to be generating background noise of a certain frequency and intensity that affects a critical (e.g. crank) sensor.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 04:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, it isn't a problem with the tranny (mine has gone 45k miles after first getting the misfire). It's just something in there happens by pure chance to be generating background noise of a certain frequency and intensity that affects a critical (e.g. crank) sensor.
so you don't think the tranny is dying and can causes certain frequency noises that my trigger the misfire?
Old Sep 12, 2007, 06:00 AM
Former Sponsor

The P0304 has been shown to be a problem with the trans. Basicly excessive noise from the output shaft bearings trigger the P0304.

On my first car this made the P0304 go away (trans build) although the P0300 showed up shortly after.

The stock clutch has some patened pending designs to actually lower drivetrain noise that is emitted. It is an Exedy design if you did not know. Once you switch out to a clutch that has less dampening you may experience the possibility of setting a code.

I have not seen this on a IX yet. Maybe Mitsu upped the 200 times per drive cycle to set off the P0300 code in the IX ECU.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The BAD thing about the dealer reflash is that once you go that route, it apparently has some adverse effect on the user's capability to reflash it for performance reasons.
I dont think so, as AMS just reworked my flash and incorporated the dealer flash and it runs just as good as before if not better. And I have yet to throw a p0300 since the first day of loading the new map....
Old Sep 12, 2007, 06:22 AM
EvoM Guru

There was an issue with this, the specifics therewith I do not recall. It may have involved the method of reflashing and not the reflash itself.

Originally Posted by vboy425
so you don't think the tranny is dying and can causes certain frequency noises that my trigger the misfire?
No, the fact that some transmissions happen to emit a certain frequency of vibration is a product of chance, not because they are 'dying' or because anything is amiss. Some cars have it, some don't.

Quick Reply: God%@*& p0300 - need vehicle specific advice