Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Making a fast all around Evo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2007, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making a fast all around Evo

I'm planning what to do with my Evo to make it fast and as stock like as possible.
Looking for all around functionality for Autox, occasional Road Racing and Drag Strip. My guess is over 400whp is possible on this setup.

My thoughts has been...

FPGreen/20G LT - I can't really think of a better turbo to maintain that stock look. Flows about the same as a 50 trim type turbo. Spools almost like stock.

SMC Meth kit (trunk) - Can't really go wrong with this. It worked wonders in my STI. It will have a switch so it can be off during autocross.

Forge Red WGA - for higher boost.

GSC S1 cams - supposedly very good idle quality while gaining power through out the entire power band. Install ARP headstuds while I'm at it.

Deatchworks Injectors - basically they modify stock injectors and flow test them. Looking at 660-720cc range.

Fujita UICP - I need this to screw in the meth nozzle and it looks good.

QTP downpipe with stock exhaust attached (sell my Megan exhaust). QTP downpipe has a push button cut out for racing. Its very trick. Basically, its like removing your exhaust for racing.

Other - Ecuflash retune, ACT HDSS clutch w/ss clutch line, small battery kit (already have the tray), ss brake lines w/Hawk pads + motul fluid.

Possibly Add - Zeitronic Wideband with MAFT Pro. It automatically switches to a conservative map when it senses a sudden change in A/F. TTP Engineering in Orlando had a good video demonstrating how it works. They turned off their Meth at WOT to prove it worked. This also removes the MAF.

Things I hate; excessive noise and vibration unless I am actually racing.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

If you want something else to add to that list and keep it stealthy would be to add a 2.3 stroker kit to the mix. You would probably match your horsepower and torque and nobody would know..... one of those intangible things, when I get my next evo I will be doing a 2.3 and a green to keep it as stealthy as possible.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 08:48 AM

who sells that zeitronic wideband. sounds good
Old Sep 8, 2007, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by white lX werx
roadracemotorsports.com sells it. That's where I got mine.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 09:37 AM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo.htm
or
http://www.zeitronix.com/
Old Sep 8, 2007, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

If you must adhere to a stock appearing turbo, then what you mentioned would probably be great. However, if your true goal is all around performance, and auto X. Something in a ball bearing would much better suit your needs. You have to consider response under varying throttle conditions. The transient response that can be had by a DBB turbo will outshine anything else. It doesn't have to be huge. There are many many turbo's out there that would fit what you are trying to accomplish. And cover the middle ground a little better.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

I had considered the DBB turbos, but cost/benefit keeps putting me back to a FP Green.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

The sad part is most BB turbo's are far cheaper and more readily available than the green. Its just the matter of getting it on is when the money comes in...
Old Sep 8, 2007, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Your setup, though not the same as mine, is similar and you want to use your EVO in the same manner as I do. I'd recommend the Green. If you want a "do-it-all" turbo, go Green. I love it. I was supposed to auto-x this weekend but I'm not able to. I can't wait to try it out in an auto-x.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How much does this QTP electric cutout DP cost? Otherwise get a normal 3" or 3.5" DP and a test pipe with a welded on, shorty "Y" dump, and a 3-bolt blockoff plate. When you get to the track, just jack up the car and unbolt the blockoff plate.

Port the stock exhaust manifold, and get a free flowing O2 housing as well. Send your Green's turbine housing to WOT and have him fully port the casting shroud in the turbine housing outlet area. As a last resort send your Green to Turbo Dynamics and have them install their B.B. center section conversion. Ditto on the 2.3 stroker and the higher compression ratio pistons.

Last edited by sparky; Sep 9, 2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

The 2.3 would be a little more then I want to go. I think if I can't do it on the stock block, then I don't want to bother. I'm hoping I can do most of what I plan on a $5k budget. The two biggest expenses will be the upgraded clutch (clutch plus labor) and FPGreen. Everything else I will install myself.

The QTP downpipe is around $450ish new. I'm not sure how much the cutout alone is. I have two downpipes, so I can have the spare one fitted with it.

I already have a megan 02 housing installed along with a megan header that came with the car.

Has anyone actually installed a DBB section on a Green? I'm curious to see how much better it would spool is?
Old Sep 9, 2007, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

The cut out and Y pipe is typically $180. But can be had on egay somewhat cheaper. Some are the badlandz cut outs that are on there. IDK if there is a big quality difference between them and the QTP.

The point of the QTP cut out is NOT crawling under your damn car to take off a blockoff plate. You flick a switch. You can get standard Y pipes from summit for $60 in SS. And they include the blocking plate and gear.

Something tells me you would want a bigger compressor side to match if the green was DBB...
Old Sep 9, 2007, 04:10 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We are the Master Distributor of ZEITRONIX wideband tuning systems.

www.ttp-engineering.com/store
Old Sep 10, 2007, 08:15 AM

anyone in the evo community try slightly DOWNSIZing turbines? as far as street use is concerned, it wouldnt hurt drivability