Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need Advice - Car bucks/ shutters from a stop

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2007, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice - Car bucks/ shutters from a stop

Occasionally when I take off from a start, as I let the clutch out and give gas I am experiencing a bucking / shuttering sensation. It seems as if something if the clutch or differential is not engaging smoothly. Its almost like the shuttering you might expect from a race clutch. And yes, I know how to drive.

Only have 6,000 miles and no abuse or clutch dumps to date. This problem seems to happen more frequently when car is getting warmed up. After driving for a few miles it seems to go away and engagement is smooth.

Any thoughts or similar experiences? Could this be a diff issue, fluid, or clutch?
Old Sep 9, 2007, 05:43 PM

bump
Old Sep 9, 2007, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stock clutch?
Old Sep 9, 2007, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Check your mounts.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

man sounds like me about 2weeks ago,and then the transfer went while i was on the autobahn,dont know if its the same.it was like the car was studdering and the car was jurking,
Old Sep 9, 2007, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Clutch my 03 was doing the same. Replaced the clutch all better.

The stock clutches like to shutter like that after a while. Mine never slipped at high rpm just the shutter taking off
Old Sep 9, 2007, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

I experienced the same thing when first got the Evo, figured out I was going a little too easy on the gas while engaging the clutch. Having only driven 2wd vehicles previously it took a while to get used to.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Does the whole car buck / shudder, or does it feel like it's "internal"?

When I had my '03 (stock clutch) my clutch would sometimes "chatter" "slip" or "shudder" before the car was warmed up. It usually happened on cool, damp mornings (like when there's dew on everything in early spring).

My solution was to briefly put the clutch back in, give it more throttle to up the revs, and then engage again. It was definitely an annoyance, but nothing I couldn't get past...

Cabo
Old Sep 9, 2007, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Also...before I had the EVO I had a 3rd gen eclipse, which exhibited the same behavior. I don't know if there's shared drivetrain parts between the two cars, but they are the only two Mitsus I've owned and the only two cars that have done that...

Cabo
Old Sep 9, 2007, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cabo
Does the whole car buck / shudder, or does it feel like it's "internal"?

When I had my '03 (stock clutch) my clutch would sometimes "chatter" "slip" or "shudder" before the car was warmed up. It usually happened on cool, damp mornings (like when there's dew on everything in early spring).

My solution was to briefly put the clutch back in, give it more throttle to up the revs, and then engage again. It was definitely an annoyance, but nothing I couldn't get past...

Cabo
I do the same. And it's only when it just starts to warm up also and not very often. I get a honing noise when I downshift sometimes also. I just live with it and hopefully when I change my clutch it'll all go away.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
stock clutch does that
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:59 AM

On stock clutch, getting away from that shudder and making a smoother engagement is pretty much a matter of getting out with higher revs (towards 2k?) or slipping more with less gas for a smooth granny takeoff. If I find myself right in the middle and don't slip it right, my clutch shudders just like what you're talking about.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by ziggity
On stock clutch, getting away from that shudder and making a smoother engagement is pretty much a matter of getting out with higher revs (towards 2k?) or slipping more with less gas for a smooth granny takeoff. If I find myself right in the middle and don't slip it right, my clutch shudders just like what you're talking about.
+1

Mine behaves EXACTLY this way. 43k miles on the stock clutch.
I assume that it's only the clutch, but can't say for sure.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

I think its just a matter of giving more gas. I have the stock clutch. Trying to take off in traffic is where it happens the most. probably taking not enough gas. When I drive more agressive its all good. I suppose its me just getting used to more gas and higher revs with the EVO. A lot different than the S2000 I came from. More gas and chatter goes away. After driving more agressively it seems to go away too. The evo just hates rush hour I guess.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

seems to me this is a typical problem people have when they dont let their car warm up after sitting overnight or for a couple of hours. if i just jump in the car start it up and take off i experience the same problems as you. if i let my car warm up for 30-45 sec. and drive easily untill everything reaches normal operating temps i have no problems.