Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HELP Negative effects of Kevlar timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2007, 03:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
my experience with aftermarket belts vs. oem belts when used on 24 hour endurance engines, harder / tougher timing belts accelerated the wear on ALL of our gears: cam, oil pump, crank, etc.

the tougher belts would wear through the hard anodizing.

the oem belts last & are readily avalable. for reliability & ease on components, get the oem.

if your looking to get 1 for the bling factor, then get what makes you happier.

FYI, the tensioner is designed around a particular frequency that the oem belts produce, the aftermarket belts mess with this......

ther eis plenty of belt wrap around the 4g63 layout, so i dont think you'll jump a tooth anywhere, but i have seen some extremely crazy stuff with belts while lookingg @ them with a high speed camera & a strobe light @ various engine speeds.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 09:36 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dynoflash's oil pump failed by using the wrong viscosity and weight oil. Other cases the main tensioner is way overtightened and autotensioner fully compressed. This is one sure fire way for your oil pump gear to experience excessive strain. I even had a customer install a belt so tight it sounded like a supercharger.

Install parts correctly within spec and use the proper weight oil and you should be trouble free.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You would think the OEM autotensioner was engineered to adjust respectively with the OEM belt's characteristics (surface materal, stiffness, thickness), which itself is rather a touchy procedure to adjust properly in the first place. Stock replacement for me - after 50K miles the OEM was still good.

I just changed mine and it took me about a dozen trials before the tensioner was lined up after everything was set. It was about 1 mm off and I said hell with it.

I can't imagine how difficult it would be to line everything up with a belt that is less forgiving and worse, thicker.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:24 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Dynoflash's oil pump failed by using the wrong viscosity and weight oil. Other cases the main tensioner is way overtightened and autotensioner fully compressed. This is one sure fire way for your oil pump gear to experience excessive strain. I even had a customer install a belt so tight it sounded like a supercharger.

Install parts correctly within spec and use the proper weight oil and you should be trouble free.
al just posted that it was due to the belt,he didnt mention anything about what kind of oil was he using,i kind of find it hard to believe the wrong oil would wear a groove into the oil pump.the tensioner being over tightened makes sense,but mines wasnt over tightened either and my pump still failed.dunno maybe just bad luck.....i am using 10-40 non syntetic oil is this ok?
Old Sep 25, 2007, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stay on topic.....there's plenty of "What oil should I use" threads, to ask those kind of questions.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 01:13 PM
Former Sponsor

I used one of my evo, so problems here.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 05:40 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I only used a kevlar timing belt one time and my oil pump took a dump shortly thereafter

I have had a lot of luck with the stock belt revving to 11,000 rpms many times and making 968 whp

AL

i would listen from the boys that work closely with Mr, Buschur,,,, they been there they done that

return that belt
Old Sep 25, 2007, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i run a gates timing belt. no issues here.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering

I install the belts all the time. If the proper tension is set then you will not have an issue. After you set tension make sure your pin goes in and out of the tensioner freely. After you do your rotations and let the belt sit for 15 minutes the pin should still go in freely. You can adjust the tension using the special tool on the tensioner pully and as you set it you will be able to hold onto the pin in the tensioner you can feel where the tension is at. When you have found the right tension tighten the pully bolt to about 33 ft lbs if I recall correctly. Yes you can put a torque wrench on the bolt it will require two people to get this all complete.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 06:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by apagan01
i would listen from the boys that work closely with Mr, Buschur,,,, they been there they done that

return that belt
From what ive seen Buschur uses greddy kevlar belts on his builds, i could be wrong but im pretty sure.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

I also installed a greddy kevlar belt on mine about 1 year ago along wit some cams. Ive never had any problems with it.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

I am running the Greddy Belts no problem so far. 3500 miles trouble free
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:26 PM
Account Disabled

We been there, done that... Record 10.9@130mph on gates kevlar belt.

NO PROBLEMS...
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by WOT
my experience with aftermarket belts vs. oem belts when used on 24 hour endurance engines, harder / tougher timing belts accelerated the wear on ALL of our gears: cam, oil pump, crank, etc.

the tougher belts would wear through the hard anodizing.

the oem belts last & are readily avalable. for reliability & ease on components, get the oem.

if your looking to get 1 for the bling factor, then get what makes you happier.

FYI, the tensioner is designed around a particular frequency that the oem belts produce, the aftermarket belts mess with this......

ther eis plenty of belt wrap around the 4g63 layout, so i dont think you'll jump a tooth anywhere, but i have seen some extremely crazy stuff with belts while lookingg @ them with a high speed camera & a strobe light @ various engine speeds.
Although Aby doesn't post as much as some, I tend to listen when he does. He has lots of experience with cars that endure far more abuse than anything we'll ever put on the street.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 04:23 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mdsevo06
Stay on topic.....there's plenty of "What oil should I use" threads, to ask those kind of questions.
this is on topic,if the kind of oil has something to do with oil pump failure and NOT the kevlar belt that i would say is info people need to know....lot of good info on hee i am learning alot