Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Racing 3' SS downpipe Install

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2007, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Buschur Racing 3' SS downpipe Install

Recently i bought a 3' BR SS downpipe for my MR, not from them directly though. While installing it i noticed something. BR's downpipe has a flat flange where it connects to the turbo. the turbo on the other hand has a male bell-mouthed flange that kinda slides into the stock downpipe. Because of this, the stock bolts with the springs would not mount the new downpipe. The stock bolts have a stop on them and a spring, as many of you may already know. In order for me to install the downpipe i had to grind the stops off. I also had to cut a coil off of the bolt springs. After finally being able to connect the downpipe successfully, I started the engine and immediately smelled exhaust coming from that bellmouth-nonbellmouth connection.

It's not a bad leak, but a leak is a leak, if you know what I mean. I know RNR makes their downpipes with the female bellmouth for a perfect fit, but i always considered BR to be the experts on 4G63 products. Is there any way I can remedy this leak without having to just sell the dp and going for the RNR? Does BR have some sort of install kit i missed, do they expect everyone to by their o2 housing, or are they going to expect all EVO owners to machine their own parts to make the thing fit right? I emailed jarrod at BR, but I haven't received an answer yet. That's why i turn to you, fellow EVO dudes, for advice. I'm a perfectionist, so even the smallest leak is unacceptable, right?

Last edited by slikdzigns; Sep 21, 2007 at 02:11 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Sep 21, 2007, 06:53 AM

The O2 housing has a rounded gasket on it, often called the "donut gasket," that you're supposed to remove when you install the BR downpipe. It'll probably be on there pretty good, and I destroyed mine getting it off. Once you get the gasket off the turbo has a flat flange.

Also, my BR turbo-back came with new bolts to attach the downpipe to the O2 housing; the stock spring bolts were not re-used. Don't know if they come with the new bolts if you order just a downpipe, though.

Here's a EvoM member's write-up of his Buschur TBE install:
http://www.jonesland.com/evo/Buschur_Install.htm

It shows the donut gasket and what the O2 housing looks like without it.

Last edited by Tom-05-MR; Sep 21, 2007 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Link to writeup
Old Sep 21, 2007, 07:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What name / email address did was this sent from? What day was it sent? What was the address it was sent to? I do not recall seeing any email about this and I try to do all of my emails daily. For the fastest resolution to a problem such as this we recommend calling the shop here.

I will be glad to help you with the issues you are having.

The downpipe should have came with a bag of hardware along with instructions for the installation. Most of the time it is overlooked in the box as it can get lost in the packing material. This would have answered all of the questions at hand.

The donut gasket does come off. You can pry it off with a flat head screw driver. Sometimes it will come off rather easy and sometimes it will fight you. You do not reuse the stock hardware (springs, bolts, etc..). You should also need the spacers provided in the hardware kit for the downpipe to properly fit.

Please take a look through the box the downpipe came in to see if the hardware and instructions were over looked. They would be in a plastic bag.

If you did not recieve this bag of hardware / instructions please let me know. I will get one sent right out to you. Just PM me your name, address, phone # or the number on the top of your invoice.

I apologize about the inconvenience.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 11:29 AM

Yea, I'll probably need that kit, since i didn't buy it directly from you guys at Buschur. I'll be ordering that ASAP, thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2007, 12:09 PM

Have somebody pics from installing the Buschur Racing V-band Turboback Exhaust ?
Old Sep 24, 2007, 07:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steve IX
Have somebody pics from installing the Buschur Racing V-band Turboback Exhaust ?
I dont understand what you're asking.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve IX
DE DE DEEE