Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Raced, in the cold..oil light randomly comming on..car not boosting/running like shi

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2007, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah seems all the USA "comeback" and "Put down" culture is spilling over from Youtube
Old Oct 4, 2007, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Keep political thoughts out of this thread...there's an off-topic forum for a reason.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 06:19 AM

TBH I'm more concerned about water gushing out of the IC spray jets.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The other thing you might want to look into is where the boost cut is set on that car. A properly set boost cut could have possibly saved your engine if it did in fact overboost along with the lean condition. Some tuners effectively completely remove boost cut and some tuners set it to a sensible value.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

^
I've seen some where they're working on boost control in direct correlation to knock sum. As in, it knocks, it pulls boost.

Would have been a life saver here.
GT, check into the ECUflash forum and get the CEL/knock sum patch working. That would have given you a heads up something was terribly wrong everytime you got into boost. (and you knocked and it flashed) Its the first thing I did when it became available. I had the feature with DSMlink and it can be a lifesaver, for when sh** just doesn't go your way. This is a good example of how your tune could be perfect and things still go south on you.

I'm sure you've seen it. But if not, check into it.

Have you decided what you are going to do for the new motor? Built? Crate stocker?
Old Oct 4, 2007, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Well they said that the actual block might be salvageable. The sleeve has a few scratches on it, thats about it. The whole rotating assembly is done. They're waiting on a call back from the guy who built it to see what they can do.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

That's good. That's less money. That's one thing I hate about the evo. Shlupping together a DSM engine I could do out of spare parts I had laying around in my basement. I have cranks, blocks, pistons, rods... pumps... everything laying around just in case I pop a motor. On the evo... that's just not possible due to cost.

Maybe you'll get lucky and most of it can be salvaged so you can try again without really getting your wallet blasted. Seriously tho. Look into the CEL/knock patch. Might save your butt.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

i skimmed through this thread but was your car low on oil?
Old Oct 4, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

I think he just lost the FPR and melted her down under boost.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ONRAILS
i skimmed through this thread but was your car low on oil?
Yes. I actually had about 6qts of fresh mobile 1 in the back seat when this happened.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Finally got down to the bottom of it. I checked the oil a couple of weeks ago and it was fine. It was on the low side of fine. The hole in the FPR was causing mad detonation. The detonation caused it to burn a ton of oil. When I raced, the car had barely any oil, and it spun a bearing, a piston hit the head, one of em disintegrated, the crank shaft is trashed, etc, etc. The only possibly salvageable parts would be possibly, and surprisingly the pistons. Maybe. Short block, rotating assembly, all that is going to be replaced. The clutch is also at the end of it's life so while the cars in there I'm having them throw in an Exedey twin disc. The total price is going to be close to $7000. Ugh. Oh well, live and lean.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running a car hard on cold oil is pretty much the worst thing you can do to it. Sorry about the situation though, that really sucks. GL with it.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BoostedStangGT
Finally got down to the bottom of it. I checked the oil a couple of weeks ago and it was fine. It was on the low side of fine. The hole in the FPR was causing mad detonation. The detonation caused it to burn a ton of oil. When I raced, the car had barely any oil, and it spun a bearing, a piston hit the head, one of em disintegrated, the crank shaft is trashed, etc, etc. The only possibly salvageable parts would be possibly, and surprisingly the pistons. Maybe. Short block, rotating assembly, all that is going to be replaced. The clutch is also at the end of it's life so while the cars in there I'm having them throw in an Exedey twin disc. The total price is going to be close to $7000. Ugh. Oh well, live and lean.
I'm sure it went something like that.
If a piston disintegrated (which probably happened first) the shrapnel took the rest of the motor out in a downward spiral of suck.

How bad is the head? Just bent valves or is there actually damage to the combustion chamber roof?

Is there pitting on the cylinder that melted down? (little missing droplets of aluminum in the head?)

Can you reuse the head? There was a stocker on egay for $300 right now.

Someone post the smilies;
THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!

We've all done it. So lets see it!
I shattered a piston once. The skirt exploded like glass. Car simply went *poomf* under boost. And got all subaru sounding.
I just kept going. I new it was toast anyway.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Actually, I dont think it was. The post was merely denouncing the poor guy for making a bad choice (buying a highly modded car he doesnt understand yet). That is not helping anyone or anything in this thread, especially the thread starter who has a large problem on his hands. Im sure he would rather have some constructive ideas than criticism as this point in time. He already bought the car so lets go from there. This isnt an "Im looking to buy this 2.3L built EVO" thread.
++++++1!!!

Geez is it just me or is it ALWAYS the same people all over the forum giving everyone crap about how they messed up or something was a bad idea instead of actually giving the person with a problem help.

Either give him some good advice or keep your thoughts to yourself your wasting everyone else's time because they have to read through pages of BS
Old Oct 20, 2007, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

welp. my car is almost finished..New short block, new rotating assembly, and a new FPR line (lol). while the cars apart they're also throwing in some crower valve springs and an exedy hyper twin disc clutch and flywheel . just waiting on the valve springs to get here, then there's about an hours work left on the car. lesson learned....