Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO Shifting ?? What do you think??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2003, 04:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On my Camaro, I got into the habit of "open hand" gear shifts. Primarily because it was easy to hit the wrong gear when shifting up (2-1 instead of 2-3 and 4-3 instead of 4-5). When I got the Evo, I continued this habit. I was grinding the 1-2 about 1/3 of the time under heavy acceleration. Someone mentioned changing how you shift and I tried it. I have yet to grind a 1-2 when shifting this way. I have only ground it once in about a month and it happened because I reverted back to my old habit.

The trick for me on the 1-2 is to grip and pull slightly left while shifting. I have not had any problems on the 2-3.

Clicking metal noise. I do hear my linkage sometimes. Is it possible that is what you are hearing. The sound I hear is not really out of the ordinary, it just sounds like the linkage.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

I went through heck and back with my "00" Eclipse's trans (two rebuilds under warranty in less than 15000 miles, 1st at 400 then again at 14000) so I have been leery with my EVO. All I can say is I did not pay 30 grand for a rally car with a trans that grinds or binds and neither did any of you. However, these boxes are new and may need to be worked in a little, that seems fair. So far I have only missed one shift into second that did not feel like it was my fault.

BTW I have used red line lubes in the past with good results (Borg Warner T10, Getrag, and Eclipse GT). You can feel the difference, it seems slipery rather than heavy like most trans oils.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 07:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
... for anyone willing to search, there have been posts about people not having the problem after installing a aftermarket clutch on our EVO VIII's... leads me to believe that it may be a problem with the pressure plate... or the fulcrum points used in the plates???
Old Jul 10, 2003, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Keep in mind your shifts may not always feel the same, because your RPMS/torque are different and as a result your synchro gear has to adjust. That is the noise you probably are hearing. I have heard this on mine and on my other cars.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 07:37 PM

same problem here! what should we do?
Old Jul 10, 2003, 07:42 PM

Four things that will improve shifting in an Evo:

1. Fit a B&M short shifter.
2. Change the transmission oil for Mobil synthetic gear oil.
3. Replace the rubber hydraulic hose to the clutch release cylinder with a braided teflon line and bleed it using the best available brake fluid.
4. Make sure the clutch is not dragging - use a twin plate clutch is possible.

Hope this helps.javascript:smilie('%7Bblob%7D')