Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO Shifting ?? What do you think??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2003, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO Shifting ?? What do you think??

I dont know if i am paranoid or not....probably a little of both.

Ive noticed some inconsistant shift going into all gears....sometime its is very smooth almost tooeasy =) other times it seems to be a rough shift...feeling the sychros.... This is at all sorts of different speeds of the car and rpms...no real reproduceable steps.

one time this weekend the tranny even seemed to lock up and not want to go into any gears..when down shifting from 5 to 4th.
I tried going into third and then back to 5th and 4th but it didnt want to go into gear. =( I had to slow down pump the clutch and then everything was fine.

I have a couple of things which i feel it might be but i just want to make sure you guys feel the same way before I get too upset.

I have noticed when I double clucth or puump the clucth a couple times before shifting it seems to be smoother. I m leaning towards at least 1 and 2.

1. low tranny fluid
2. bad slave cylinder. (intermitent low pressure?)
3. Clutch adjustement.
4. B and G synchro shift helped out a lot of 2gs
5. bad tranny

Id be willing to have them swap the fluids and check the clutch and slave unit to make sure that everything is 100%. do you guys think im crazy and should just get used to these ****ty shifts?

thnks
Old Jul 8, 2003, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Rest easy, you're not alone in noticing this. I've experienced everything you have at various points, and like you said there doesnt seem to be any real of way of reproducing it. I simply take it as another quirk of the car.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

I know this may be a quirk of the car....and If Mitsu says this is the way the tranny is gonna act then I guess I just gotta deal....but without any other evos to test,,, its kind of a guessing game to see if youre right or not.,..

Id still like to see about changing the fluid and also checking the presurre in the hydraulics to make sure its correct...

other than that i can probably deal if it normal and I wont have to worry about a failing tranny after the warranty preiod is over...or earlier if i do some mods and they try to void my warrranty..
Old Jul 8, 2003, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

The transmission itself is basically bulletproof as stated on numerous occasions. Our 5spd has been around forever in Japan and is even more reinforced then its JDM counterpart.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 12:32 PM

After reading your post I realized that ..I have encountered this to...I thought maybe I was releasing the clutch before I had it in gear but now it makes sense...Hasnt happened enough for me to think something was wrong though.....

OHH
Old Jul 8, 2003, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

i wish it was shorter, need the Perrin unit

-Shahul
Old Jul 8, 2003, 04:50 PM

i also have the problem with the transmission locking up some times. but i have noticed that it is most apparent when the engine is cold or if the car hasnt been turned on for a while. usually what i do is give the car a long warm up period and the problem is less of a hassle. even then sometimes when i am trying to shift it just wont go and the car behind me is like following me really close. mitsu has got to do sumthing about this
Old Jul 9, 2003, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Here is the email that I sent to the Service Manager....what do you guys think?

Here is a list of the issues that I have noticed with the Tranny and Shifting.

I've noticed some inconsistent shift going into all gears....sometimes it is very smooth; Almost too easy. Other times it seems to be a very rough shift; feeling the synchros (It feels like there are rocks in the gearbox). Most noticeably going into second from first or third. In addition, third and fourth are also choppy. This happens at all sorts of speeds and rpms...no real reproducible steps. This even happens at a stop when moving through the gears.
One time the tranny even locked up when down shifting from fifth to fourth, and did not want to go into gears. I tried going into third, fourth and then back to 5th; It didn't want to go into any gear. I had to slow down, pump the clutch and then everything was fine.

I have a couple of things which I feel it might be;

1. Low tranny fluid
2. Air in the hydraulic system
3. Bad slave or master cylinder. (Intermittent low pressure?)
3. Clutch adjustment.
4. Incorrect tranny fluid.
5. Bad tranny

I have noticed when I pump the clutch a couple times before shifting it seems to be smoother. This does not help 100% of the time.

Thank You,
Old Jul 9, 2003, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've noticed this "problem" on my EVO too. I was wondering the same thing you were...whether or not something was wrong. For the most part in my EVO - the gears engage easily and smoothly, but occasionally, I feel the light crunching of the gears meshing together. Sounds like that's just the way it is and it's nothing to worry about.

Peace,
Old Jul 9, 2003, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Just to let you know they are gonna take a look at my tranny and let me know.....

I really dont think it is something inherant to that car or tranny. If it was they would have come back with a response from the rep stating so.

Ive got an appointment on the 16th and the factory rep will probably let them know what they can/cannot do etc....but Im gonna get a sample of the fluid also. just in case....
Old Jul 9, 2003, 01:27 PM
In Timeout

i have the same problems... sometimes its smooth as a babys ***... sometimes its mad rough and i even hear a little clunk sometimes when i hit the clutch... yall got this 2 right? for me i think 1st to 2nd... and 2nd to 3rd is the worst... but shiftin extremely fast (racing) 2nd to 3rd is the WORST! REALLY REALLY ez to miss 3rd... anyone else have this problem??
Old Jul 9, 2003, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Definitely tell your rep what you just stated about third gear..... =O and you should get a good response.

if not tell him to call the techline and see if others are having the same issue as you.... (2nd hint)
Old Jul 9, 2003, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

biggest problem for me is going into second quickly or from third to second quickly. I just don't get it how a new car can be like this and we are all experiencing it.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 06:29 PM
Account Disabled

I have the same problem also...
and as for bulletproof...im very skeptical
Try drag racing you'll get a 1-2 grind guaranteed...
pisses me off!
Old Jul 9, 2003, 11:19 PM
In Timeout

does nebody else here sometimes kinda clickin noise of metal... not 2 loud at all.. but sometimes when switchin gears..? dont tell me its my drivin...