Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tilton or Exedy Twin disc?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2007, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06MRV8Killer
Have you both had any kind of issues with your clutch, pedal enagement etc? I put about 4k on mine and now it is kind of acting up.... Tough to get in to gears, the car HATES engine braking for some reason, real notchy type of gear changes.... Let me know thanks
No Ive had mine in for about or a lil over a year now with no complaint at all. just a lil rattle with the clutch depressed.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 06:58 PM
Account Disabled

Get the Exedy
Old Sep 30, 2007, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

That's where I'm leaning. But there's a Cer/Org Tilton on here for $1k (TTP's rebuilt one is back for sale)

So if its all the same... I was trying to keep $700 in my pocket. (which would cover the pistons and rods I was going to buy)
Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i have the tilton and i have to say i love the clutch, but on hills it would suck as when im in seattle i have to drag launch the car to get up some of them. the exedy is more streatable so i would say get that and if the car becomes a track beast never to see the street again go with the tilton, just my .02
Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Which variation of the tilton do you have?
Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ceramaltic/cermalitic..bad spellin i know
Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

on 35r..exedy twin disc holds strong and is all around the best clutch for the evo if your not producing more than 700hp
Old Sep 30, 2007, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

But its "rated" weak sauce. 378 ft/lbs SD ~ 450 ft/lbs HD. Where are you getting 700hp from?

Can you readily rebuild the exedy's? If so how much roundabouts?
Old Sep 30, 2007, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by raiceboi697
ceramaltic/cermalitic..bad spellin i know
I wonder if the C/O tilton wouldn't be more streetable. Cerametallic discs have a tendancy to be grabby, and get grabbier with heat.

Just wondering.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Asmodeus6
I wonder if the C/O tilton wouldn't be more streetable. Cerametallic discs have a tendancy to be grabby, and get grabbier with heat.

Just wondering.
the organic discs wear almost 2x faster than the cerametallc. given the smaller dia of the tilton, discs dont last long anyways so if your concerned about service intervals its prob not the way to go even though it may be more streetable
Old Oct 1, 2007, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Asmodeus6
But its "rated" weak sauce. 378 ft/lbs SD ~ 450 ft/lbs HD. Where are you getting 700hp from?

Can you readily rebuild the exedy's? If so how much roundabouts?

you have to take clutch ratings with a grain of salt. clutch manufacturers dont have any set standard on how they rate thier clutches. while some brands may rate them at ecaxtly what the bench test shows, others will take into account the type of use the clutch will see & adjust its ratings based on what they feel best matches the clutch

for instance, i guarantee im over the "rated" limit for my exedy SD if its only 378ft/lbs. but since the only tracks i see have lots of turns & not a light tree the clutch holds up fine & is probably even overkill for what im using it for
Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

No you're right, those were drag numbers. Exedy differentiates on their numbers. Between drag and road course. I listed drag, as,... I drag. Lol!

I think the SD rates in the mid 400's for road course.
And the HD well into 500's.
For road course.

But I do drag. And you raised a good point with the smaller surface area of the discs on the tilton. They're 7" something, the exedy's are 8" something.

Good point. I think the Exedy HD is the WTG for me. I'm going to SBR today. I'll chat up Mike a little and see what he thinks. And what he'll let one go for.

Anything else to add to this I NEED to know about the Exedy HD?
Old Nov 30, 2007, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but what did you go with?

There is an Exedy Twin HD sitting here that i'm contemplating putting in but just wondering if you did or did not go with it?

I'm having the feeling i'll be right at the limit for the clutch once we get the added fp in and 40 psi of boost

The car does see a bunch of the street so i would like something VERY streetable while able to hold the HP/TQ........i know i'm a greey SOB
Old Nov 30, 2007, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
exedy twin holds 600 ft/lbs (according to the manual) and has good street manners, go with that. I have an Exedy Twin with around 2k on it and it's holding up great, shifts like butter at high rpm or on the street.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Ok I have had both clutches and I would say Tilton. For the fact that it held my 45+ launches at 6500 and kept going. You can rebuild them about 12 times so it pays for its self.

And above all, Tiltons customer service is AMAZING. I have never delt with a better company than them. Every single issue I had was taken care of right after I adressed it to them And parts were shipped next day free of charge. Also. When I first installed my clutch kit, I heard some weird noises. So I took some pics and emailed them to kurt. He replied withing an hour and called me. He said that it looked fine, but since I took the time to pull it out and inspect it, he would send me the upgrade kit from hybrid to cermetallic for free!!! And free shipping.

I would go with Tilton cuse the damn things work. Period.

Awesome clutch IMO.

Quick Reply: Tilton or Exedy Twin disc?