Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

twin scroll hype?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2007, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crcain
The thing I don't get... is Full-Race is selling a lot of these kits already.

Honestly, how hard would it be to offer someone a kit at discount, if they allowed some back to back testing. Full-Race single scroll GT35R versus twin? It seems to me this would cost Full-Race practically nothing. Just give the customer the kit that performed better at the end of the test at a bit of a discount.
because it's not that simple. With a TS manifold, you're going to want to change turbo configuration, and then cams, and then..... to optimize the setup. If the TS header works better on a 4088 vs. a GT35R for instance, why limit yourself to the GT35R? When swapping to TS, you absolutlely need to pick a hp/spool/driving impression goal. Lock that in, and use turbo, cams, etc. as degrees of freedom to solve your equation. But to say test a GT35R in TS vs. OS is locking in on the turbo, and not necessarily the optimum configuration for a given hp/tq/response need.

discopotatoe03 is right on...... some turbos won't respond as well as others to TS. Some turbos will actually perform better in OS vs. TS depending on how you define "perform". The GT35R by most definitions is better suited to OS manifolds. But if you don't limit yourself to the GT35R, why not slap a "bigger" turbo with a TS manifold in place of your GT35R with OS, get better spool and better top end?

Limit yourself to a GT35R in the equation, and the TS benefit probably won't be worth it.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe

Another came from a 10 flat VW drag car owner. He switched to a t4 .70 open to a t4 .84 divided. He picked up 700 rpm spool with no loss in power. But heres the part you need to pay attention to. This car had an open header and one waste gate off the collector. NO TS MANIFOLD . The swap to the housing simply PROVES what I have been trying to tell everyone here. This car had a large increase in response from an A/R change. TS design had NOTHING to do with it.
It actually completely dis-proves your theory. Even though you arent seperating exhaust p ulses, you are still using the FAR more efficient nozzle design in the turbine housing.

done and done.

how many threads can you be wrong in? lol
Old Oct 4, 2007, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by FatheroftheEVO
It actually completely dis-proves your theory. Even though you arent seperating exhaust p ulses, you are still using the FAR more efficient nozzle design in the turbine housing.

done and done.

how many threads can you be wrong in? lol
And I see you as as not having much knowledge. The test simply showed the setup needed a smaller a/r. 84 divided is a smaller a/r than a 70 open. Race VWs are very light. You would only need 450whp to go 10 flat. He likely uses something like a 60-1 with a p-trim at 22psi to make those numbers. The TS housing simply acted as a smaller A/R. Which is what the setup needed. I know of cars that went high 9s on p-trims inside a 36 a/r exhaust housing. Yes .36 A/R. The twin scroll is more restrictive than open scrolls. Even Jeffs testing with the full race manifolds shows higher back pressures with the TS housings. thats were the extra torque is coming from. Jeff has not done any high HP testing that am aware of. That is where this debate will be settled. Take a 35r car or 37r car that is making big numbers on big boost and then switch to TS and see what happens to the numbers.

You just want to twist around what this test says. The higher efficiency of a TS setup comes from keeping the pulses from interfering with each other. The exhaust housing itself is just more restrictive. Not more efficient. Does welding a divider inside your exhaust pipe make it more efficient?
Old Oct 4, 2007, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by evodan2004
well i have a 30r ts kit. and LOVE it.

my last logs showed 25psi at 3840 rpm's it held 25psi at 8100 rpm. useing a jdm map sensor and evoscan.

i went to the track but i suck at launching the car. 11.5 at 124 with a 1.89 60 foot.
i made 5 passes. three 11.5s one 11.6 and a missed gear so i shut it down. 19.1 or somthing. all 1.89 to 1.98 60s

car is down right now so no more fun. hoping to have it back up for sunday for more track time.
How bout adding some details. Like fuel used? and the rest of your setup?
Old Oct 4, 2007, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LilRico
pm me tomorrow. my dvd drive took a dump and i got to go to a budy's house to do it tomorrow. sorry
Old Oct 4, 2007, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

pm me tomorrow. my dvd drive took a dump and i got to go to a budy's house to do it tomorrow. sorry
Will do and thanks again!
Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, lots of misinformation in this thread.

There's no reason a TS housing can't be used on any of the Garrett BB turbos. If you're looking at trims for some explanation as to why they're few and far between, you're just wasting your time.

TS housings, as explained before, do slightly reduce turbine flow for a given a/r because of the additional boundary layer imposed by the divider wall. We're talking a few percent.

Anyone that says that TS is 'hype' can automatically be disregarded as having anything worthwhile to contribute on the subject. It's that simple.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 03:07 AM
Evolving Member

Hi Jay , the thing I'd really like to know is why some of the later BB GT turbines are going down on trim size ie GT4088R vs GT4088 78T vs 84T , GT3782R (HP) vs GT3782 . People keep telling me that BB T51R's with the T51 turbine seem to be a lot more responsive that the GT42R's with the GT42 UHP turbines , isn't the T51 turbine 76T and the GT42 84T ?

From what I can see all of the above are twin scroll turbochargers with the possible exception of the HKS spec T51R's .

Maybe I've got it all wrong but my idea with the TS housings and A/R vs single scroll housings was the volume of each side or volute the cylinders are exhausting into . If the volume is halved then for the exhause to flow into it wouldn't the pressure rise faster and eventually cause pumping losses reversion etc ? This is where I would have thought the greater volumes from the larger A/R TS housing would have payed off .

As a generalisation could it be that truck diesels with their lower EGT and I suppose lower expansion ratios need different turbine trims to suit their different engine speed and power ranges ?

Thanks in advance Jay , cheers A .
Old Oct 5, 2007, 03:58 AM
Evolved Member

Stock ecu
Cams
Turbo kit
1kcc injectors
All bolt ons
Jestr flashed.

Race day
27spike psi
Pump gas
Crappy driver
Old Oct 5, 2007, 01:17 PM
Account Disabled

10lbs of **** in a 5lb bucket..

Old Oct 5, 2007, 03:27 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SWEET! I see an aftermarket exhaust manifold in classic black and white

Seriously though... this is the most civil, mature debate I've seen in a VERY long time. Please keep it this way guys. There are some very knowledgeable people involved here with varying opinions on personal experiences. I've personally yet to be swayed either way... because some people seem to be arguing two different views of the same fight. I believe both are right in there specific applications. When you've seen a mere spark plug change make a 100whp difference, it comes into perspective for you. Then again that's 4 more cylinders and a little over 4 times the displacement. However, I think the arguing parties understand what I'm talking about.

Wish some of the vendors could have discussions this civilly!
Old Oct 5, 2007, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

hey zeus how you been bud long time no chat.

as requested here are some pics.

for the record
i built my own dump tubes, intake, water/oil line's, licp

again the car has had some more changes and a few other goodies added in. but these pics are what you want to see. ''the turbo kit''

if you want a updated pic of my hole setup let me know. my engine bay is clean and looking good. funny how a few mods go's from this pic to what it is now.

Last edited by EvoDan2004; Oct 5, 2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well anybody with a full race setup that wishes to discuss their findings?
Old Oct 5, 2007, 04:40 PM

94AWDcoupe

I know Scott from freshalloy forums he a very tech head etc.. I allways have been folow his points and the results are always been like this guys stats etc It would nice if you ask him to chime inn over here I really like to read what he have to say about the Ts .
Im still debating of going ts or not.. more opinions with facts its what we need.
thanks.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Wow bro... that's just wow...

Quick Reply: twin scroll hype?