Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil Temp vrs Oil Press - do i need both? how do i interpret them?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2007, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Temp vrs Oil Press - do i need both? how do i interpret them?

how are the number values on an oil temp gauge and an oil pressure gauge interpreted when installed on the evo?

what information should i be able to extract from the readings of both gauges to monitor the correct or proper functioning of my car / engine?

What is best to have oil temp? or oil presS? or both? (I should be able to decided that from your answers but recomendations are welcomend)
Old Oct 1, 2007, 03:22 PM

You will be flamed...people will tell you to search...be prepared

Now to be actually helpful -

Oil Pressure gauge will tell how well oil is flowing, or not flowing, through your engine. Evo's run very low oil pressure when at idle and the oil is hot (approximately 10 psi depending where the sensor is mounted) and should run around 80 to 90 psi at WOT (wide open throttle) (again depending on sensor location). The idea is that if the idle pressure is to low or the WOT pressure is to low, something could be, or is, wrong with the motor (just depends how low).

Oil Temperature gauge will tell you the temperature of your oil. The idea is that you should not be running your car hard (i.e. WOT) until oil temperature has reached a certain point (usually at least 160 - 170 degrees F) and the temperatures shouldn't exceed approx 200 degrees on the street or approx 250 degrees on the track (road course) or during very hard driving.

As far as importance, just depends. If you are tracking the car, both are important. If you are just street driving, both gauges are a good thing to have as first line of defense vs. the "idiot" lights on the dash.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You can live without an oil temperature gauge if you are **** about properly warming up your car before you start working it hard. I'd say an oil pressure gauge is nearly mandatory, if you want to have a good idea what is happening under the hood. An oil pressure gauge with a warning function (like a Defi) is even better, and could save you a bundle if you happen to have a sudden pressure loss...

Remember oil pressure is a function of temperature, and so you want to focus on where you are when your engine is fully warm, and be careful until you get there.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

thank you very much for your responses !!! I did search but I didnt come up with what i was looking for exactly.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Remember oil pressure is a function of temperature
ummm no. yes oil pressure will go down as the oil heats up due to a decrease in viscosity, but oil pressure is not a function of temperature.

i personally believe that an oil pressure gauge is much more important than temperature as long as you properly let your car warm up
Old Oct 1, 2007, 07:19 PM
Account Disabled

i can never pick which is more important...i really like to have egt, boost, oil temp and press and depending on car water temp and maybe fuel pressure...
Old Oct 1, 2007, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

They are both very important. The oil pressure gauge should increase with load. In the evo it will show as low as 20psi while idling and over 100psi at full throtle. If its reading very low under boost then you're probably in trouble. The oil temperature gauge will let you know when its a good time to get on boost after cold starting your car. Also if it increases dramatically while driving. Over 190F for example, you may also notice low oil pressure = low oil/oil leak/oil being burnt = engine about to seize 150-160F is