Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO9 JDM rear diffusers finished and ready

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2007, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
EVO9 JDM rear diffusers finished and ready

1st picture. This is the diffuser as seen from the back of the car. You can see it is just flat and straight. Looks like a "line" in the picture. I put the diffuser under the cover so any air that does make it over the diffuser can get out.

2nd picture. This is to show the break (bend) I put in the diffuser in the upper area near the rear sway bar. This break is there to keep the air from the control arm area from getting above the tray.

3rd picture. Side view of the completed/installed diffuser. The diffuser is installed with 3/16" aluminum rivets. You will need to buy a rivet gun capable of installing a 3/16" rivet to do the installation. You will also notice the DEI heat shielding that is stuck onto the undertray to keep the exhaust from burning it.

4th picture. This is just a shot of how the diffuser uses the rear two bolts to hold it up and secure it, also to show the cut out around the hanger.

About fitment of the diffuser. IF you are running someone else's exhaust or any style other than what is pictured here then the tray will have to be cut to fit around the muffler.

5th picture. The diffuser off the car and cut how it is shipped. The rivets and adhesive heat shield are also included. If you need to cut the diffuser to fit with a different exhaust the material is easy to work with. Just about any saw will cut it or even good tin snips.

Old Oct 5, 2007, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice!!

Would this be able to work with any exhaust system??
Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

big question, will this work on USDM bumpers
Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

looks good Dave
Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EvO6-RS2
Nice!!

Would this be able to work with any exhaust system??
5th picture. The diffuser off the car and cut how it is shipped. The rivets and adhesive heat shield are also included. If you need to cut the diffuser to fit with a different exhaust the material is easy to work with. Just about any saw will cut it or even good tin snips.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

The one solid piece diffuser pictured here is for our JDM EVO9 exhaust, specifically.

If you have a different type exhaust on the car with a JDM EVO9 rear fascia you will have to cut the diffuser so the exhaust can fit. There is really no way for me to make these for each and every exhaust that there is. The material is easy to work with and the heat shielding comes loose, so if you have a different style muffler you can put the adhesive heat shiel on wherever it needs to be.

This particular diffuser will not work on the USDM 8/9 rear bumper cover. That one is coming out in the next few weeks.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:22 PM
Account Disabled

What is the material of the diffuser made out of?
Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like it! I guess that solves the diffuser problem for us now .
Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

How much are these going for???
Old Oct 5, 2007, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheEvolutioner
How much are these going for???
+1 ?
Old Oct 5, 2007, 01:08 PM

looks bad ***
Old Oct 5, 2007, 02:59 PM

defo interested in the price.

this there are far more jdm 9 bumpers in the UK, will you have a UK distributor?

Also, have you tested these in a wind tunnel or on the track to try to evaluate the advantage?
Old Oct 5, 2007, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

They are $175 each. The material is a high impact urethane. Great to work with.

I do not have a distributor in the UK, you interested? If I make enough of them shipping would work out to not be too expensive.

I do not have access to a wind tunnel. I have however been speaking with a guy named Jim that does work at a wind tunnel and he has been helping me with some ideas and ways to test the parts.

I have been doing testing with "oil" on the parts I am making to see what type of streaks are left on them after driving the cars at speed. This particular part worked out extremely well. The entire diffuser ends up with nice straight streaks on it showing the air is moving under it and in a straight line out the rear of the car. The angled pieces also seem to be working out well as these streaks are also on them and then curve under and onto the main diffuser and straight out the back.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Vendors like you make me so glad I bought my Evo. Can't wait until you come out with the USDM version. Big two thumbs up!!
Old Oct 5, 2007, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Forrest, the USDM version will be a few weeks. I'd like to think I can finish it this coming week but with the shootout on Saturday I doubt it.

Quick Reply: EVO9 JDM rear diffusers finished and ready