Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is it ok to dyno in FWD mode?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2007, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't listen to half of these clowns, it's been done before with no ill effects. Drop the driveshaft and go for it.

Just remember that your going to show more WHP than you actually make, since you're losing some drivetrain loss.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

This is not something you should be asking here, it is common sense. AWD means all four wheel are spinning when there is power output, how can you get correct reading on a FWD? if you are a mechanically inclined then I'd forgive you.
If you can't find a AWD dyno, then DON'T DYNO YOUR EVO UNTIL YOU FIND ONE.
My car is costum tuned using mail in flash, and I don't know what my car is making, but I felt big difference that's more important. Just as mentioned before, you can't tow an evo without a flatbed or using the right equipment.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by I'mStock
Don't listen to half of these clowns, it's been done before with no ill effects. Drop the driveshaft and go for it.

Just remember that your going to show more WHP than you actually make, since you're losing some drivetrain loss.
but why? why get incorrect but higher reading? the purpose of going to dyno is to get correct reading, not incorrect one!
Old Oct 7, 2007, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It can be done, just whatever floats your boat. Most prefer not to do it, but people have done it and like I'm stock says it can be done. If you are not worried about hp measurements and just using the dyno as more of a tuning tool to dial in the timing then so be it.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fugiwara
but why? why get incorrect but higher reading? the purpose of going to dyno is to get correct reading, not incorrect one!
It's not that you are getting an "incorrect reading," you are just getting a number that may be higher than if it were an AWD dyno. The purpose of the dyno is to try to mimic street conditions to optimize the tune in a controlled environment rather than going down the street at 140 mph. Since you aren't dealing with the AWD system robbing you of horsepower, you will get a higher number. The number doesn't even matter. You have to remember that there are different types of dynos that read much higher or much lower. The chart that the dyno produces is the only important thing.

By the way, this is exactly how AMS dyno'd their AWD cars for so long up until two years ago or so. So everyone here who says that stuff will break or it won't be accurate or the tune will be off is completely retarded. Just because this is something that not many people are aware of doesn't warrant a stupid response. This guy has obviously done some sort of research on dyno's...enough so that he knows that one is capable of putting an AWD car on a two-wheel drive dyno.

Don't immediately spat off some ridiculous comments when you are so clearly ignorant of a situation. By the way, that's not an insult. Everyone is ignorant of something that they have no knowledge of. It's just so painful to read comments like these just because this topic hasn't been beaten to death like most other threads that litter Evo General and the Newbie section.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just buy a tactrix cable and get Evoscan, it has a built in road dyno that is pretty accurate (similar to dynojet #'s).
Old Oct 7, 2007, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

seems silly
Old Oct 7, 2007, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
why dont you just call ams and get their advice? im sure they know the answer with out a doubt
Old Oct 7, 2007, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by justboosted02
why dont you just call ams and get their advice? im sure they know the answer with out a doubt
I PM one of their representatives about this and awaiting a response. Only reason why I asked the evo public is to see if there was anyone else that may have done it before. I only knew of AMS doing it when they posted a dyno if 775whp in FWD two years back and they also dyno it on an AWD and the numbers didn't change much as most expected it would.

I would love to dyno it on an AWD but my evo would take a beating having to drive it to canada or Washington and I don't like to put miles on her. To ship it there is costly and takes too long and the costs outweight the benefits. Especially when I just want to know my numbers. So with that in mind I had a local alternative of using a 2 wheel dynojet available.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Everyone needs to knock it off with the badgering. The guy asked an innocent question and there is no reason to tell him to delete it.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

this is pretty common with the VW r32 crowd. they use a FWD dyno to tune. they just disconnect the driveshaft. not sure how you would do this on an Evo.

and yes its true, the HP numbers are inflated when you do this. i've seen 100whp off at the 6-700whp level.

just use a street dyno, it will get you really close.

Last edited by EvoBroMA; Oct 9, 2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

I think I remember Buschur doing this back then to one of their Evos. If I remember correctly they had to weld their front differential remove driveshaft and plug up one end of the transfer case.I thikn they got about 250 to the front wheels off a stock 03 Evo, and about 220awhp with the same car. I think I remember correctly so if anybody else remebers anything like this you can chime in.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 08:25 PM
Former Sponsor

just take a few logs and use DLL
Old Oct 10, 2007, 03:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
just take a few logs and use DLL
Those aren't as accurate as I was looking for but thanks for the info!
Old Oct 10, 2007, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stEVOx
doesnt the rear diff disengauage when the hand brake is pulled?
couldnt u do it that way
huh?????? go try to do a front wheel drive burn out with the E-brake pulled and find out

Quick Reply: Is it ok to dyno in FWD mode?