Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HELP! Big oil leak and car doesn't want to start...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2007, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you see any signs of detanation or a hole burned in the piston I would quickly inform all the EVO owners that you tuned not to drive their cars until they got retuned.

Last edited by scottatyamaha; Oct 8, 2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

lol
Old Oct 8, 2007, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Shew, that's bad news.

Now, for the worst news:
If your motor is seized, then there is probably enough damage that you won't be able to get away with stock sized internals. You MIGHT not even be able to get away with going 0.020" over. If you broke a ring, and it seized the motor, then there *could* be significant scoring of the cylinder walls. You could try to use some replicating material, to make a mold of the damage, that would make measuring easier, but more than likely, it would be taking the bare block to a machine shop, and having them bore it 0.020" over and see if the damage is removed...If there's still signs of damage, then your last option is boring 0.050" over. At that point, one might consider buying a shortblock from Buschur, AMS, or Jackson Machine.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, so your saying most likely, I'll HAVE to go with like eagle rods and wiseco pistons, or something like that? Why is that exactly? And when you say .020 over what do you mean exactly, making the cylinder .020" bigger? I don't know much about engine internals and what you do in this case?

My friend and I are going to pull the head off tomorrow and find out what happened exaclty, but how do we know if I'm gonna be able to use stock size internals or not? If the damage is minor, or if there are little scrapes??

Thanks
Old Oct 8, 2007, 07:49 PM
Account Disabled

could have melted a piston, due to a very lean tune........post pics after you pull the head...i wanna see the carnage.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 07:55 PM

Damn this TOONER doesn't even know what boring ".020" over means? Wow, hope the owners of the Evos you tune read this thread. Sorry for busting your ****s but its the truth.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sekula
Ok, so your saying most likely, I'll HAVE to go with like eagle rods and wiseco pistons, or something like that? Why is that exactly? And when you say .020 over what do you mean exactly, making the cylinder .020" bigger? I don't know much about engine internals and what you do in this case?

My friend and I are going to pull the head off tomorrow and find out what happened exaclty, but how do we know if I'm gonna be able to use stock size internals or not? If the damage is minor, or if there are little scrapes??

Thanks
0.020" over is boring the cylinder walls 0.020" greater. You don't have to go with forged internals at all. You can buy stock pistons/rings that are 0.020" larger and 0.050" larger.

What I was saying, is if you did it yourself, you could save the $1500 or so for labor and thus put that money towards forged internals.

(granted, a DIY for this caliber isn't for the mechanically inclined). Although I would never suggest buying from mitusbishiparts.net, you can at least shop around for pricing there. A lot of dealers will match or come close to their prices.

Last edited by 56Hotrod; Oct 8, 2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Oh5GSR
Damn this TOONER doesn't even know what boring ".020" over means? Wow, hope the owners of the Evos you tune read this thread. Sorry for busting your ****s but its the truth.

scary huh
Old Oct 8, 2007, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

ONE day i over revvd and my motor and blew it. damage was catastrophic melted the entire piston, hole in block the head was shaped like a friggin rainbow, i had just bought it from a used car dealership it had a VISHNU XFLASH...with there little stupid ****ing BLEEDER VALVE....and a steel mesh air filter forget what the brand was. Thanx to AMS they gave me an awsome deal on a longblock and tuned it I couldn't have been more happy with them.

If I have offended any Vishnu or vishnu lovers out there then GOOD...congrats on figureing out how to blow up a stock 4g63 long block with the pathetic 245 whp!

OHH yea and your stupid little bleeder valves.

OOOO i can't wait for the replies on this.......
Old Oct 8, 2007, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Oh5GSR
So since I didn't know what boring means, it means that I don't know how to tune??? Good logic...I've tuned plenty of cars and not one has blown up, complained, unsatisfied, etc, unlike other tuners in the area, who have had customer cars blow up or say that they didn't feel a difference. A couple days before this happened, I tuned my car pretty rich at around 10.5-11 and low timing just for cruising, since I was selling my LM-1, and waiting for my other wideband to come in, before I actually re-tune my car.....So don't talk **** about my tuning if you don't know anything about my tunes and don't know what was the cause of this. My car has over 60,000 miles on it, and I have been modding/tuning it for the last 10,000 miles and it's seen plenty drag strips/races , so I'm sure the motor has gotten enough, I just wasn't expecting it this soon. And thank you for the people that have been helpful and helping me out in this situation...I'll post pics tomorrow and let you know what the problem was, if we do find it out.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

^ yea I cant wait to see pics of the hole burned through the piston.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 08:02 AM
Account Disabled

I agree with the others on here. If you don't know basic engine mechanicals, you have no business changing the fuel/spark curves. Sure you may be guessing, and you may have some knowledge that you were shown by someone who actually knew what they were doing, but this doesn't make you a tuner. There's a classic line "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" and you've proven that you have "a little knowledge" with your posts.

First you said this:
my car has been running with this tune for about a year now...
Then you said this the next day:

A couple days before this happened, I tuned my car pretty rich at...
So, which was it?

it's just some freak accident,
a 60,000 blown engine is rarely a freak accident, it's typically an over-pressure of the cylinder pressure. the white smoke is where you blew your head gasket. you probably also fried your piston ring lands, which is why your engine is seized. Are you aware that an overly-rich condition can cause detonation as well?

I don't know to be honest..
finally some honesty... and I agree.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

wow^
Old Oct 9, 2007, 09:11 AM

I heard you have a 50trim or equivalent, run stoopid amount of timing on pump gas, and spray n02. All from very good sources as well as running into your posts in the nitrous category on here. "freak accident I think not"

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=276601
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=297114
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=299241

is why I doubt your tuning "skills".

Last edited by Oh5GSR; Oct 9, 2007 at 09:20 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

wow a big warning to those who received a tune from this guy. not to say his tune is safe or not (who can say without looking at it) but he's an amateur tuner (even if a good one) and should be double-checked by a pro.