Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can someone explain clipping a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2007, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can someone explain clipping a turbo?

Can someone explain the pro's and con's of cliping a turbo. I was told by a local turbo shop that I can get better spoolup and topend if I were to clip my 50 trim. I asked how that is poosible and he said it the better spool is becasue of the reduced weight of the wheel. This just does not sound right to me.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Clipping is the technique of cutting away some of the material on the fins of the impeller wheel of the turbocharger. In other words, to 'clip' a turbo is to make the fins in the exhaust path smaller. The cut is usually done at an angle of between 10 and 20 degrees - the bigger the angle, the more material is removed from the fins.

This may seem like a dumb thing to do, since smaller fins mean that the exhaust gases will impart less force to the turbine wheel and consequently increase turbo lag. This is true, but the benefit of clipping is found in the high RPM range of the motor. At higher RPMs, the turbo may have already surpassed the required user-set boost levels and is not contributing to engine power.

Since the impeller wheel in the exhaust stream partially blocks the exhaust gas flow (by design), it can act as a significant restriction at high RPMs, when the exhaust flow rate is highest. Clipping the turbo reduces this restriction and allows more air to flow past the turbo wheel at high RPMs, thereby improving airflow through the engine and increasing top-end response.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TeStUdO
Clipping is the technique of cutting away some of the material on the fins of the impeller wheel of the turbocharger. In other words, to 'clip' a turbo is to make the fins in the exhaust path smaller. The cut is usually done at an angle of between 10 and 20 degrees - the bigger the angle, the more material is removed from the fins.

This may seem like a dumb thing to do, since smaller fins mean that the exhaust gases will impart less force to the turbine wheel and consequently increase turbo lag. This is true, but the benefit of clipping is found in the high RPM range of the motor. At higher RPMs, the turbo may have already surpassed the required user-set boost levels and is not contributing to engine power.

Since the impeller wheel in the exhaust stream partially blocks the exhaust gas flow (by design), it can act as a significant restriction at high RPMs, when the exhaust flow rate is highest. Clipping the turbo reduces this restriction and allows more air to flow past the turbo wheel at high RPMs, thereby improving airflow through the engine and increasing top-end response.
good info testudo
Old Oct 11, 2007, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Wow, never heard of that mod?? Good writeup testudo
Old Oct 11, 2007, 09:22 AM

cool dude i might try that
Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't waste your time with clipping. If you need a bigger exhaust housing, get one.