Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

best "street" set-up?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2007 | 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

i have a 37r with a 2.3l,for me on the street there is nothing better.but for the 1/4 a 2.0 with a 42r seams to be the norm.
Old Oct 14, 2007 | 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Take a look around and find out how many cars have gone 10's on straight PUMP gas and then decide what you need to do.

Let's see...........I can think of one car, but I could be wrong. If there are more than one I don't think there is one quicker/faster than Trent's who has gone 10.6 at almost 134 mph.

His car is running a 2 liter, ours of course, as a matter of fact the entire car has been built by us. Making big power on pump gas is tough and if the combination isn't right you can forget about it. You do not need to change the intake or the throttle body, just port both of them. You will need excellent cams and the turbo will need to be right too.

Making 500 whp on pump is perfectly safe, you will need the tune to be set up with safety features in case you do get poor gasoline. Trent drives his car over 120 miles PER DAY. He has had ZERO problems and has been driving it this entire year at these power levels. Usually races it atleast once a week too.
Old Oct 14, 2007 | 06:25 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Sxhawnn
why is everyone talking about JAM motors and GT35rs if we're talking about the best "street setup." Who the hell needs 500 whp on the street? Do we have to accelerate from 0-60 in less than 4 secs from every stop light? Are we building a street car to go fast and furious or something? Wouldn't an evo green be a much better option than some JAM race motor and a HTA GT35R if we're talking about a street setup?
any stroker motor with a 35R will have mega response if it has proper headwork and supporting mods..

its ALL about the combination of parts... not just the two largest components!!

cb
Old Oct 14, 2007 | 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LT1runner
Jun 272s are great racecar cams, but I don't think you'd want themon a street car.

What is the timeframe you want to be driving your completed car? FP is comming out out with a HTA T 67.

well its my daily driver right now.Im suppose to deploy in dec possibly,so probably while im gone slowly start saving,and ordering all my things to make this possible.

whats a good street cam?ive heard of plenty street evos running JUN.

Also if any vendors,buschur,JAM,anyone reads this please send me a PM with a price on a built 2.3L and head.basically a stroker and head that will get me my goal.Also wanting oliver rods,and most likely venoila pistons.Im gonna need a price on a block already built and ready to go,being im in hawaii,deployed etc i dont trust anyone in hawaii to balance,blueprint,etc my motor.

So far im very interested in JAM.
Old Oct 14, 2007 | 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
any stroker motor with a 35R will have mega response if it has proper headwork and supporting mods..

its ALL about the combination of parts... not just the two largest components!!

cb
Almost feel out of place to argue with someone of your stature But anyways i'll give it the old college try. I'll take your word for it that a great stroker setup can spool a gt35 at maybe late 4k from the dyno graphs i've seen on pump. But wouldn't a 400 whp green be a better street setup for a a fraction of the cost and with a spool that is stock like?
Of course i'm not suggesting that a green can be as fast as a GT35r with a stroker and built head and all that. But we're talking "street" And maybe its cause i'm a noob but I really don't see why you'd even need to make 500 whp on the streets. I think a lot of evo drivers drive cars that are well beyond their capabilities. My car might dyno in somewhere at 300-315 ish and I can't drive that thing to its max potential, in fact, not even close. Even someone like travis pastrana was quoted as saying that something as fast as a z06 is just too much for the streets.

If we're talking about a street car that is rarely tracked wouldn't a GT35r+stroker+head be a complete waste?
Imo someone who does that with a daily driven car is either too obssessed with numbers or plans to completely ignore the speed limit all day everday or even worse, likes to race on the high way on a regular basis putting innocent people at risk.
Old Oct 14, 2007 | 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Fast is relative anyway good luck with your quest GT35REVO.

Last edited by mitsuorder; Oct 16, 2007 at 12:25 AM. Reason: he's just looking for advice on his future setup.
Old Oct 14, 2007 | 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

when i say "street" set up i dont mean my "street"racecar..its just a street set up..you have your track setups which seem to be the 2.0/2.1 and 42Rs,then you have street set up..just b/c i wanna know my "street" set up options doesnt mean im gonna use it for everyday racing.reason i say "street" set up is because i dont have a track here in hawaii and when i move i may or may not have a track.if i lived in ohio/nj etc..i may take a different route,but being in hawaii you have to work with what you got.and im on stock 2.0L its only gonna last so long being a 400+awhp car and daily driven.

Last edited by mitsuorder; Oct 16, 2007 at 12:26 AM. Reason: keeping it nice
Old Oct 15, 2007 | 07:00 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Sxhawnn
Almost feel out of place to argue with someone of your stature But anyways i'll give it the old college try. I'll take your word for it that a great stroker setup can spool a gt35 at maybe late 4k from the dyno graphs i've seen on pump. But wouldn't a 400 whp green be a better street setup for a a fraction of the cost and with a spool that is stock like?
Of course i'm not suggesting that a green can be as fast as a GT35r with a stroker and built head and all that. But we're talking "street" And maybe its cause i'm a noob but I really don't see why you'd even need to make 500 whp on the streets. I think a lot of evo drivers drive cars that are well beyond their capabilities. My car might dyno in somewhere at 300-315 ish and I can't drive that thing to its max potential, in fact, not even close. Even someone like travis pastrana was quoted as saying that something as fast as a z06 is just too much for the streets.

If we're talking about a street car that is rarely tracked wouldn't a GT35r+stroker+head be a complete waste?
Imo someone who does that with a daily driven car is either too obssessed with numbers or plans to completely ignore the speed limit all day everday or even worse, likes to race on the high way on a regular basis putting innocent people at risk.
you are allowed to argue with me as much as you want... in fact you arent arguing at all!! discussions are taking place here.

i think "ultimate street setup" needs to be defined.... and at what cost... obviously i feel our 2.3 35R car is amazing... .but i am putting cost aside....

the green is a fantastic turbo... in fact, something slightly larger to go on a stock mani may be available shortly (wink wink )...

the stroker gives amazing street response, but of course the cost is more significant... and also, i feel that one shouldnt just throw a larger displacement block in the car without making provisions for more flow in and out of the motor...

the green offers a great power band, although ive only tuned a few on the 2.0s.....

its soo hard to suggest what is an appropriate setup for someone, unless they have ridden in similar cars of the power they are requesting... recognize how the delivery is etc....

anyone, pm me anytime or call, if you would like to discuss your options off of the public forum!!

cheers

cb
Old Oct 15, 2007 | 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

ok back on topic.

Ive gotten PMs from david buschur.says he recommends JE/Crower set up for $3300 and there head for $1600 with BF Cams.

anyone else run this set up?
Old Oct 15, 2007 | 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

Thats going to be a nice setup.

I am also getting the 2.3L AMS motor when I get to Georgia next year.

Like your sig "FU*K ALKY/METH INJECTION" lol, dont hate.
Old Oct 16, 2007 | 12:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Ok. So let's try this again shall we? The gentleman is asking a legitimate question. Keep it to solutions or points will be issued if I have to clean again. Got it? Great mmmmk...
Old Oct 16, 2007 | 01:17 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know how much head work is really needed for a goal of 500whp. You may want to use your money elsewhere. You can make 500whp without a strocker motor also. A really good tuner can achieve this on a dynojet. Now I did see AMS make 550whp on 25LBS boost on there traditional stroker motor. Then they used there stroker RR motor and it only took 22LBS of boost to make 550whp. pretty impressive that the increased compression helped that much
Old Oct 16, 2007 | 01:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8TOR
Thats going to be a nice setup.

I am also getting the 2.3L AMS motor when I get to Georgia next year.

Like your sig "FU*K ALKY/METH INJECTION" lol, dont hate.

lol no hating here..lol..i think its more of an accomplishment/safer to put down 500awhp on straight pump.

ive seen to many evos blow motors b/c alky fails..

and pretty much most set ups can run 500 on pump alky,but how many put down 500awhp daily driven and pump gas...

its gonna be a pretty mean set up.i see everyone running AMS stroker,slowboy,BR,etc...if i do go with AMS or buschur im gonna go with the aggresive set up,but so far im liking JAM.kinda pricey but seem to have good motors.but BR has been PMing me and there another option.

what would be more aggresive/streetable?venolia/oliver?JE/Crower?

Last edited by GT35REVO8; Oct 16, 2007 at 01:58 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2007 | 01:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xcelr8
I don't know how much head work is really needed for a goal of 500whp. You may want to use your money elsewhere. You can make 500whp without a strocker motor also. A really good tuner can achieve this on a dynojet. Now I did see AMS make 550whp on 25LBS boost on there traditional stroker motor. Then they used there stroker RR motor and it only took 22LBS of boost to make 550whp. pretty impressive that the increased compression helped that much

yeah ive looked into the 2.3RR and yet its a good motor the price tag i too high for me too personally dump into a motor when i have other great options for cheaper.Eric quoted me $7500 for the 2.3RR
Old Oct 16, 2007 | 02:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsuorder
Ok. So let's try this again shall we? The gentleman is asking a legitimate question. Keep it to solutions or points will be issued if I have to clean again. Got it? Great mmmmk...
thank you!

ok anyways,more suggestions.thanks

Last edited by mitsuorder; Oct 16, 2007 at 02:55 AM.

Quick Reply: best "street" set-up?