Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO VIII Immobiliser Key "Need Help"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2003, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO VIII Immobiliser Key "Need Help"

Need advice...

I lost my immobiliser key just 2 months after collecting my car. Need advice on how the immobilser system work and how where can I get the key from and have it coded.

Anyone can advice me here?
Old Jul 11, 2003, 01:39 AM
Evolved Member

go to the dealership and they should be able to get u a key, either make cut it themselves or order u one. when you got ur evo one of the keys rings that the keys are on had a lil metal tag, that was the serial number for your key, if you kept that it might make things a lil easier. It might cost upwards of 40 bux though.

best of luck to ya.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 03:08 AM

I did check with my agent and was told that the key contains a mirco chip that once inserted into the ignition will give the signal to fire the engine. However, the key need a special device known as the MUT II to program. Unfortunately, none of the importer in Singapore are able to do that. As such, my agent have to get in touch will their supplier in Japan to get it coded and ship over. I was told it would cost SGD$400 or US$230 for a key. Hope to get advice from the experts in this forum.
Cheers,
Old Jul 11, 2003, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

I would say that you are outta luck....unless you are willing to disable the immobilisor, and use a normal key.

Could YOU call a dealership in japan and ask? They may be willing to make you a key if you show them proof of ownership.

I also think it's irresponsible for large importers (like the ones you deal with out there) to not carry the stuff needed to service the special needs of the cars they sell.

SC~
Old Jul 11, 2003, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

I had to have one of my factory keys resynced the other day. The tech told me that if you leave the battery unplugged overnight the key will loose sync and they have to re code it with the MUTII, it only takes a second for them to do it, but htey do need the MUTII attached to your car. You cannot add an additional key yourself unless you have two working keys (the details are in the owners manual).

Funny thing is one of my keys was working fine after leaving the battery disconnected overnight.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:23 AM

I am still waiting for my importer to check with Japan side. According to my importer, the format is in jap and they need people to translate it.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:31 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

It's always a good idea to purchase a 3rd key, unprogrammed when you buy a car with this type of system. As has been mentioned, you need 2 keys to reprogram an extra key, so just follow the directions in the manual and do it yourself. So, with 3 keys you will have a backup plan if you manage to lose or break one.