Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Pure Tuning Evo IX Cosworth Cams Dyno Test

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2007, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4_Wheel_Slide quote:
idk, i really do want to believe that the cosworth make a solid 30whp, im just having such a hard time believing it....

its liek the green turbo... it was marketed to run 10's.... and there are what 5 people doing it and they all have aem and all kinds of extra garbage int he car...

it would have been cheaper to get a 3065r kit for 3k and stick with the stock ecu and run 10's on pump gas.....

Originally Posted by dudical26
I know what you mean. not to knock the green, but every fast car is basically a member of the bushur camp. They are all from around there and go on his dyno and I'm sure they all tweak their setup constantly to get every last MPH out of it.

With that being said, its still pretty impressive.
A couple of corrections: First of all, OKIX only TESTED his whp/wtq on the Buschur Dyno, it wasn't even tuned in any way, shape or form on the Buschur Dyno.
Secondly, it DOES NOT have an AEM, it's stock ecu, stock maf.
It was tuned by me, using ecuflash. It's a FP-Green, and it made 425 whp/ 481 wtq on DB's dyno. The et and mph recently run is the ONLY VIII or IX currently running in the 10's. (Curt's car ran 10.58, no long running 20G-Lt, Davids car ran 10.89 no longer has 20G-LT, Dadriva ran 10.92 no longer uses 20G-LT, OKIX car ran 10.87 with quickest et and MPH recorded for the 20G-LT on a IX and will soon be using an VIII 4th gear). Just wanted to keep facts straight, that's how misinformation gets started to the newbies. If someone else is running 10's, I'd like to know who, where and when.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you guys having any misfire issues...how is your idle?

my friend has these on his MR idles like crap and he gets CEL every so often..
Old Oct 19, 2007, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

We use HKS 272's on the OKIX car. Idle is fine. My car uses the Cosi's and it's idle is fine. Half of the fun of having a performance car is the sound of loping cams. I am considering doing back to back comparisons on the OKIX car. HKS 272 vs Cosi, on the dyno.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 9sec9
We use HKS 272's on the OKIX car. Idle is fine. My car uses the Cosi's and it's idle is fine. Half of the fun of having a performance car is the sound of loping cams. I am considering doing back to back comparisons on the OKIX car. HKS 272 vs Cosi, on the dyno.
please do!
Old Oct 19, 2007, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Just got off the phone with Jarrod at Buschurs. Since we have a baseline already on their dyno with the HKS 272's, I think I'm going to have DB put a set of Cosi's in the OKIX car and see what the difference is. Only problem with this test is that we're having the head slightly ported, not full allout Stage III head. Also, using SS stock size valves. The head flow would be slightly better, but it would still indicate if the cams allow more power to be made. Also, might be good to compare the low rpm torque differences.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Im glad i went with the Cosi cams. I made 362whp/363wtq on pump 93 oct with the mods on my sig.

Heres my graph

Last edited by EVIL_EVO_VIII; Oct 20, 2007 at 09:22 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:07 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gamebred26
you guys having any misfire issues...how is your idle?

my friend has these on his MR idles like crap and he gets CEL every so often..
Idle is rough compared to stock, But bumping the Idle to 950-1000 helps. No CEL or Misfire Issues.

- Aaron
Old Oct 19, 2007, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
More power everywhere..... that is impressive.... But I would like more information.

Please post an after cam without tune chart.

OR

After cam ... but ... before and after tune comparison. It would be nice to see what kind of HP improvements were made from the new tune. Care to leak what area's of the tune needed to be adjusted after the cams?
Old Oct 19, 2007, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PURE TUNING
Idle is rough compared to stock, But bumping the Idle to 950-1000 helps. No CEL or Misfire Issues.

- Aaron

with a stock turbo though right? the guy i know has a gt35r with them and thing is never running right..stalls..etc.

he is on a flash though..
Old Oct 20, 2007, 07:25 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
More power everywhere..... that is impressive.... But I would like more information.

Please post an after cam without tune chart.

OR

After cam ... but ... before and after tune comparison. It would be nice to see what kind of HP improvements were made from the new tune. Care to leak what area's of the tune needed to be adjusted after the cams?
There really isn't a full curve that we can show untuned. We never change a part like this and just run the car through to redline on the first pass. Cars go through a vehicle simulation program to get the A/Fs within a reasonable margin and then the hp pulls begin gradually turning up rpm stop speed on the dyno till we get to redline.
Then they go back through a simulation to verify partial throttle and cruising.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 10:13 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gamebred26
with a stock turbo though right? the guy i know has a gt35r with them and thing is never running right..stalls..etc.

he is on a flash though..
Correct... Stock Turbo
Old Oct 20, 2007, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Keith-PURE Tuning
There really isn't a full curve that we can show untuned. We never change a part like this and just run the car through to redline on the first pass. Cars go through a vehicle simulation program to get the A/Fs within a reasonable margin and then the hp pulls begin gradually turning up rpm stop speed on the dyno till we get to redline.
Then they go back through a simulation to verify partial throttle and cruising.
Riiiiiiggggghhhhhttttt.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 08:02 AM
Former Vendor

Riiiiiiggggghhhhhttttt.
Here you go the fist WOT pull. Notice the boost level and stop RPM. This is how we tune, not just WOT at Max Boost. Sorry to disappoint.

- Aaron

Old Oct 22, 2007, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Boost dropped 10psi @ 3500rpm from the addition of cams alone?

Strange.

I don't want to sound like a punk because I really don't know how well these cams work. But showing gains from start to finish is a very suspect result. If you could explain what areas needed fine tuning that would be nice. It has been said that the upper mivec table needs to be reduced and I would think boost would have to be raised a tad. But... the turbo runs out of air with stock cams so it hard to believe that minimal top end airflow could account for those gains. Lastly theres only soo much you can do with timing. You shouldn't be able to increase timing 4* simply because of cams. I'm just curious. I want you to convince me that this car didn't have other issues prior to cams. Example: a boost leak that was corrected during the swap. To me the second (after) curve looks alot like more boost but you said both tests were done at 23psi.

Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; Oct 22, 2007 at 08:21 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 09:04 AM
Former Vendor

Boost dropped 10psi @ 3500rpm from the addition of cams alone?

Strange.

I don't want to sound like a punk because I really don't know how well these cams work. But showing gains from start to finish is a very suspect result. If you could explain what areas needed fine tuning that would be nice. It has been said that the upper mivec table needs to be reduced and I would think boost would have to be raised a tad. But... the turbo runs out of air with stock cams so it hard to believe that minimal top end airflow could account for those gains. Lastly theres only soo much you can do with timing. You shouldn't be able to increase timing 4* simply because of cams. I'm just curious. I want you to convince me that this car didn't have other issues prior to cams. Example: a boost leak that was corrected during the swap. To me the second (after) curve looks alot like more boost but you said both tests were done at 23psi.
The boost was turned down manually, it was not lost due to the cams. This is the gragh that you said "riiiiiiggggghhhhhttt" to. Since we just don't run WOT right after the install or any tune for that matter due to safety concerns, I cannot provide an accurate before and after on the same ECU tune because we did not do it that way. That would not be fair or accurate to the Cosworth cam results since the stock cams were completely tuned in.

Without going into specifics of the tune, the only changes were fuel and cam angle. The ignition timing map was not changed between the before and after to keep it fair. The car was tuned before and after to the same AF.

Both tests on the first page were done at 23 psi, what is shown above is the first WOT run with the boost turned down not the final result that is shown on the first page. The above graph is the means to the end result. Below are the same graphs with the boost plotted. I hope this helps convince you.

- Aaron

Quick Reply: Pure Tuning Evo IX Cosworth Cams Dyno Test