Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Hollow out HFC?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2007, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hollow out HFC?

I did a quick search, but no results. Has anybody hollowed out their HFC's?

I have a Buschur TBE with HFC. I was thinking instead of getting a test pipe, I could just hollow the catco HFC, will also help with visual inspections. Now, I'm sure this isn't as good as a test pipe, but if it gets me atleast 80% of the gain that switching from HFC to a test pipe would, then I'm all for it ... I don't see why it wouldn't work....Anybody?
Old Oct 17, 2007, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

well, you could sell the hfc and just get a cheap test pipe (ebay ftw) or a rally cat (a test pipe with a cat shield to make it look stock) from speedelement
Old Oct 17, 2007, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That is a knive of doble edge. If you only care about the visual inspection, then you can hollow it. It really depends on where you live. I live in AZ and we do have emissions.

If you hollow the HFC then you wouldn't pass emissions unless you have your original cat. But if you have a back up plan(spare cat) I wouldn't see why not. I know I would fail emissions with a hollow cat.

Carlos
Old Oct 17, 2007, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
That is a knive of doble edge. If you only care about the visual inspection, then you can hollow it. It really depends on where you live. I live in AZ and we do have emissions.

If you hollow the HFC then you wouldn't pass emissions unless you have your original cat. But if you have a back up plan(spare cat) I wouldn't see why not. I know I would fail emissions with a hollow cat.

Carlos
he's in PA, and if its anything like CT then all he has to pass is an OBD2 scan. so in other words, if he has no CEL's, then he's good to go. the only thing i would worry about is if the exhaust note got louder due to the hollowing-out.

-Chris
Old Oct 17, 2007, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As long as there is no CEL then go for it.

Carlos
Old Oct 17, 2007, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

I will trade you for my Testpipe!
Old Oct 18, 2007, 03:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 80210
I will trade you for my Testpipe!
I wouldn't mind that, it's just that I have the Buschur exhaust so one end is flanged and the other end is slip fit.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

So, if I did hollow my cat, assuming it'll be basically the same as a test pipe, performance wise, will I need a tune? (Yes PA is just a scan, no CEL, you pass).

Right now, I'm flashed for the mods I have. Will hollowing the cat seriously affect the tune? I know I'll get mixed answers, if any answers, haha. I don't mind it being louder or raspier, I just want to go faster, for free
Old Oct 30, 2007, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
So, if I did hollow my cat, assuming it'll be basically the same as a test pipe, performance wise, will I need a tune? (Yes PA is just a scan, no CEL, you pass).

Right now, I'm flashed for the mods I have (see sig). Will hollowing the cat seriously affect the tune? I know I'll get mixed answers, if any answers, haha. I don't mind it being louder or raspier, I just want to go faster, for free
Anybody?
Old Oct 30, 2007, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Right now, I'm flashed for the mods I have. Will hollowing the cat seriously affect the tune? I know I'll get mixed answers, if any answers, haha. I don't mind it being louder or raspier, I just want to go faster, for free
If your car was tuned with the HFC, then yes, you will need to get the car tuned again with the punched out HFC. If I were you, I'd get a hold of a test pipe and sell your HFC, saves you money. Hell, for the price of tests pipes now, I'd just buy it and keep the HFC ont he side just in case.

Jerry
Old Oct 30, 2007, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Full Function
...I'd get a hold of a test pipe and sell your HFC, saves you money...
Yeah, I assumed I'd need a new tuned, but I just wanted to make sure.

Why do you reccomend getting a test pipe rather than just hollowing my cat? Would I not have the same benefit? It's free!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 30, 2007, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IF youre capable, i would hollow the cat. Or get creative and tack weld some of the stock cats heat shields on a test pipe. Im using a test pipe and do wish i had a gutted high flow cat. Its still possible to pass emissions with a test pipe, Not visually but it can pass the test if warmed up properly. Ive some cars in the past that passed like that.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Mine is a Ultimate Racing Empty no need for a reflash as long as you have mechanical fix for your rear cat sensor. Then you will get no CEL.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 05:41 PM

I bought a cheap used HFC from someone here and decided to gut it. I still used the o2 fix so the cel wouldn't pop. The sound level didn't change much at all. I was flashed with a gutted stock cat on the car and after i put on the gutted HFC my AFR didn't change much.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I assumed I'd need a new tuned, but I just wanted to make sure.

Why do you reccomend getting a test pipe rather than just hollowing my cat? Would I not have the same benefit? It's free!!!!!!!!

Look at it this way, the HFC may have been free, but you can SELL it for money, which is potential profit for you. You can buy a test pipe, tack on some heat shields, and it will look the same as it does now. Having the pipe instead of the hollow HFC seems moor logical, but to each his own I guess.

Jerry

Quick Reply: Hollow out HFC?