Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

6 speed Issue

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2007, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Location: I'm Canadian living and working in Dubai/Kuwait/Bahrain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6 speed Issue

Hey guys I have an IX 6-speed.
I did a U-turn and all of a sudden I hear some kind of strange sound fron under my car like metal coat hangers hitting eachother... my gears all engage and the car is drivable but on my way home nice and slow like 1 min drive away i felt the gears not go in as smooth and feels notchy at one point i couldent get it out of 3rd... IMO i think the tranny is fine however, recently I had my clutch changed and am wondering if i have a faulty throwout bearing or something to do with the clutch installation it drove fine for 1000km's till now.. I dont launch the car or drive the gears too hard so am pretty ticked off...

Can anyone give some input

Thanks
Old Oct 19, 2007, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of clutch did you just install?
Old Oct 19, 2007, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Stock clutch..am producing 380 bhp and 386 lb/ft torque
the clutch is not slipping or wasent slipping... I havent really punched it since i heard that sound and the gears were funny...
Old Oct 19, 2007, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

380 whp?
Old Oct 19, 2007, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

crank
Old Oct 19, 2007, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

1st I would look under the car to see if anything is caught up to make the "coat hanger" noise.

Next question is who put your clutch in? It may be the TOB but unlikely since you didnt upgrade your clutch and are still running the stocker.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

If you are having a "notchy" felling and the car is hard to get in gear (when cold) or hard to get out of gear you may need to adjust your pedal so that the clutch fully disengages.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

i remember T/O bearings going bad sound like a roaring...kinda like a bad wheel bearing
Old Oct 19, 2007, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

555R - whats up Dirrrty Jerrrrz, used to live there.....
Old Oct 19, 2007, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Tom, I've had exactly the same issue!! Funny.. But i was flooring it and the clutch slipped (that i have even posted a video o evoM) and i heard the hanger sound!!

After which my gears are so sticky to get out and quite hard to get in.. I still am wondering what to do and why this happened.. I know the hangers sound is my exedy slipping but what's the gear stiffness issue!?!

Wael
Old Oct 19, 2007, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Ok I went for a spin and I threw it onto reverse and when i released the clutch half way the car didint move or felt like I had the handbrake on then it jerked back all of a sudden when i released it...
I then parkd pushed the clutch and when i tried to put it in 1st it wouldent go in so easily and the car moved ever so slightly forward....?
the relese bearing sound when the clutch is released sounds more aggressive then before aswell
Old Oct 19, 2007, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Engine off, clutch in, gears pretty smooth except 4th feels restrictive and seems like there is more play in the gears all together.... oh well open her up tomorrow and have a look at the clutch then the gears...
Old Oct 19, 2007, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

I think its your gear.....6 speed trans are weak...My friend is also have the same kind of problem 3rd and 4th gear.....Hes now changing his 6 speed to a 5 speed...
Old Oct 20, 2007, 03:46 AM
Evolving Member

Well the evo is in the garage and they are working on it.. first going to check the clutch for any obvious dammage then proceed to the gear... will take some shots of what i find in the mean time here are some pics for the sake of looking at something...
*edit* Oh and has anyone had issues with the exedy twin would you recommend it over the stocker with 380bhp?and 386 torque?..

Last edited by dxbtune; Oct 20, 2007 at 03:51 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Ok well they dropped the tranny and had a look at the clutch it was slightly burnt up but no sighns of failure..in anycase going for the exedy twin next...

They then opened up the tranny only to find that there were peices of the 3-4th gear selector on the bottom aswell as pieces of the spring...
Apparently there are no springs in the 5speed and it's new to the 6speed and is a weak point..apprently if it goes then you get problems like what happened to me, the selectror breaks?!..anywyas im ordering the parts asap and fixing it up no dammage to the gears thank god the pieces managed to fall straight to the bottom and the super slow driving avoided the parts to get sucked around into the gears once on bottom fromthe oil turbulence...

one side of the gear had the spring and the other side didint, I suspect the gear being off alighnment contributed to the selector busting during a hard shift...

Last edited by dxbtune; Oct 20, 2007 at 08:05 AM.

Quick Reply: 6 speed Issue