Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

oil temp, water temp, oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2003, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil temp, water temp, oil pressure

Hi guys,

I have just installed the DEFI BF turbo boost, oil temp, water temp, oil pressure, exhaust temp and the multi link display on my EVO VII. What I find out is that:

1. Oil temperature seems quite high, 80 - 93 degree while driving normally.
2. Water temp is quite high as well while normal driving too, 82 - 86 degree. It gets hotter while stuck in the traffic 98 degree.
3. Oil Pressure, I don't understand how this work but it moves up and down and peak at 6.9
4. Turbo Boost pressure, 1.35 bar and hold all the way till rev cut.

what I wanna know if the readings are normal. If any of you have installed one of these gauges would you mind telling me if the reading from my gauges are normal?

Thanks!!!
Old Jul 12, 2003, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Boost pressure is right. We get 19.5psi, which is equivalent to 1.35 bar:
http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm
Old Jul 13, 2003, 12:50 AM
EvoM Guru

80-93 degrees C (176-200F) for oil temps is not high, oil temps generally run a bit higher (5-15F) than your water. Most average modern engine operates with water temps around 200-230F, especially in the summer with the AC going.
I have an oil temp gauge as well (3-4 weeks), and I have found that oil temps of 95C to 105C is normal in the summer, with hard/track driving I have seen up to 110C so far.

I think these temps are perfectly normal and I will not be worried unless the oil temp starts getting close to 120C (248F). The oil takes quite a bit longer to get up to full operating temperature (15-20 minutes), unless you start getting on it. I try not to go over 4K or generate full boost until the oil temp is at leaast 70C (160F).

I don't have oil pressure or water temp but once again these values are not out of line with what I have seen on other cars. 100PSI oil presure is a bit high but when the oil is cool/thick it will be high untill it's up to temp.

If your car is completely stock then the boost does not sound right. From my own measurments and factory spec, you should see around 1.3 Bar (19PSI) in the lower rpms, above 5K rpms the boost quickly tapers to 1.1 Bar (16PSI) and stays there till red line. I don't necessarily think that 1.35 bar holding to redline is dangerous, it is just considerably more than what a stock car should be making.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 12:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Just noticed this is a VII so 19.5 may be perfectly normal for that car.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by SILVER SURFER
Just noticed this is a VII so 19.5 may be perfectly normal for that car.
Thanks Pal.

I was informed that the reading from the DEFI gauges are normal, nothing should be worried as my car is still considered stock.

One more question, where do you guy mount the exhaust temperature sensor on? Exhaust manifold or front pipe? I don't want to drill a hole on my HKS exhaust manifold.

Cheers
Old Jul 13, 2003, 08:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Most people including myself are mounting them 4-6" from the exhaust port, in the header (exhaust manifold). I put mine on cylinder 1 (far left facing the engine), it is supposed to be the hottest running cylinder. Putting it after the turbo will give much cooler temps and generate more lag time in the readings you see.
So is 1.35 bar till red line normal for a completely stock VII? I just wonder because your intake and down pipe may have caused slightly higher boost. Does the VII have the same turbo size/flow characteristics as the VIII? Knowing this would make me a little more comfortable running 20PSI in a VIII.

Regards,

Eric
Old Jul 13, 2003, 05:52 PM

I would rather mount it on the dump or front pipe. My car is equiped with HKS Turbo back exhaust, HKS Intercooler piping Kit, ARC air box, Monster Sport turbo suction Pipe and HKS exhaust Manifiold. Stock boost was 1.2 and now it is 1.35 in day time and 1.45 at night time. Oh, I am in Malaysia. 35 degree everyday.