Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Full Race Manifold on Evogreen IX - Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2007, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmm - Not good...

money is not really an issue but if it does not make a great difference with the evogreen turbo then I will not bother.

However, like most cars when changing headers, if they really do make a difference then I will get it.

Just confused - want to make sure it is worthwhile upgrade.

Does it make any difference is noise?
Old Oct 24, 2007, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

one thing about headers is CARB cert.

The stocker is carb certified, so in states where you can get a ref ticket (CA)...porting is your best bet.

Tubular headers are great for race prepared cars. Not really DD...

A tubular header, no matter how great the welding, will eventually crack, and need to be re-welded. no problem if youre on a race team...maybe a problem if youre sponsered by your pocketbook.

cost to benefit fo rth estocker outweighs the tubular mani... wait to get a 35r...then buy the manifold.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the Full Race manifold with my FP Green but I really can't give a fair comparison against the stocker since I installed the Full Race manifold together with my FP Green. I remember David Buschur doing a test on the Full Race manifold along with other manifolds but I can't remember how high the boost was when he tested these. I run 28psi on my EVO so at these boost levels i'm not sure if the Full Race has a greater advantage over the stock cast piece.

As stated by others, if money is not a problem at the moment, go for the Full Race, it's been proven to work so you don't have to have any doubts of it not working or being a downgrade. Good Luck!
Old Oct 24, 2007, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

My only concern with a full race or tubular manifolds is cracking. Apparently they all do at some point or another. I know some are going to say it has never happened to them and it may not, but it is just a risk IMO. To me, I rather stick with the iron stock manifold and get it ported. Buschur does a port and jet coating for the stock one for about $200. I'll take a little power for reliability.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mhgsx
What exactly does this have to do with OUR manifold?? How about actually searching to see if the ported stocker has been compared to the FR? (hint....it's been done....which is why you see so many people recommending to port the stocker.)
What do you mean? This information has everything to do with the stock 4G63 manifold considering it is a "Log" manifold design. I have seen the comparison (read and re-read it numerous times), and I was not impressed with the testing methods employed. There are too many extraneous variables that come into play during dyno testing, but I would love to be proved wrong by a flow test. I would also like to make you aware that Full-Race has since re-designed the ProStock turbo manifold and has tested and re-tested to determine that it indeed will flow much better than the stock "Log" manifold even when fully ported and coated. If you really want to get technical (and maybe even to learn a thing or two, which I think you need to do considering your point to the Search button is wholly unimpressive), you may want to contact those who are actually involved in the R&D of these pieces. Geoff is incredibly knowledgeable and will respond to your e-mail quickly and completely. To save you the trouble, I will send him an e-mail this evening and be sure to post the information in this thread. You have to pay a high price for the best product on the market. I obviously disagree with your statement, but to each his own.

Take a look at this thread as well...
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=232192

For some reason, there are always those which simply do not appreciate quality craftsmanship to the degree that it is due.

-Carl

Last edited by Spent198; Oct 24, 2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Burklow
My only concern with a full race or tubular manifolds is cracking. Apparently they all do at some point or another. I know some are going to say it has never happened to them and it may not, but it is just a risk IMO. To me, I rather stick with the iron stock manifold and get it ported. Buschur does a port and jet coating for the stock one for about $200. I'll take a little power for reliability.
The Full Race brand is synonymous with professional grade performance and unsurpassed quality. I have not once heard of any issues regarding cracking on Full-Race manifolds.

EDIT: I have sent an e-mail to Geoff, he is out of the office until Nov. 6th but I will post his reply when received.

-Carl

Last edited by Spent198; Oct 24, 2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by caLi4G63
I have the Full Race manifold with my FP Green but I really can't give a fair comparison against the stocker since I installed the Full Race manifold together with my FP Green. I remember David Buschur doing a test on the Full Race manifold along with other manifolds but I can't remember how high the boost was when he tested these. I run 28psi on my EVO so at these boost levels i'm not sure if the Full Race has a greater advantage over the stock cast piece.

As stated by others, if money is not a problem at the moment, go for the Full Race, it's been proven to work so you don't have to have any doubts of it not working or being a downgrade. Good Luck!
For ****s and giggles...

How do your dyno numbers compare to those of FP Green turbo motors with the stock cast iron manifold?

-Carl
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Spent198
For ****s and giggles...

How do your dyno numbers compare to those of FP Green turbo motors with the stock cast iron manifold?

-Carl
I haven't really done a comparison between people with the Full Race manifold and those with the cast iron piece. I rather not look at dyno numbers because I feel that this is an invalid comparison as dynos read differently. The best I can do is observe my track times and compare that to others. This past weekend I ran a 11.65@116mphl; this was done with 387hp and 385 tq on a local dyno when I was tuned.

In the end, I think people will be fine with the stock cast piece but if it really bothers someone and they feel they need the Full Race manifold and money is not an issue then they should go ahead and get the manifold; it will perform.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by FL_SilverEvo8
i guess the only it is worth getting a tubular manifold if your useing a bigger turbo. am i right on that?
I think yes. The question, though, is whether or not the bigger turbine wheel on the EvoGreen is big enough to take significant advantage of a tubular header like the Full Race.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:30 PM

BR did a back-to-back dyno comparison on the stock manifold; his p/p manifold and the Full-Race manifold. The FR manifold made more power but not much. I think the thread was back in 2005.

I would suggest getting the Hotside ported/polished/coated as well.

I have a BR ported/polished/coated manifold sitting in my garage right now.

Jason
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
^ your right, however i beleive his test was with a oem turbo &

not a fp-grn/20g-lt turbine wheel/turbine housing mods.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by WOT
^ your right, however i beleive his test was with a oem turbo &

not a fp-grn/20g-lt turbine wheel/turbine housing mods.
Yeah, it was performed with an evo 8 turbo, if i recall correctly. I'm sure an evo 9 and especially a Green would show some more gains.

Like I said, I have a BR manifold sitting in my garage and have my hotside on it's way to BR in the morning. I'll be connecting it to a Green soon enough. Wish I had a FR tubular manifold to compare.

Jason
Old Oct 25, 2007, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

I haven't really done a comparison between people with the Full Race manifold and those with the cast iron piece. I rather not look at dyno numbers because I feel that this is an invalid comparison as dynos read differently. The best I can do is observe my track times and compare that to others. This past weekend I ran a 11.65@116mphl; this was done with 387hp and 385 tq on a local dyno when I was tuned.

In the end, I think people will be fine with the stock cast piece but if it really bothers someone and they feel they need the Full Race manifold and money is not an issue then they should go ahead and get the manifold; it will perform.
I agree with you, and thank you for adding to my comment regarding the sometimes unreliability of dyno testing as a tool for comparison. Congrats on your quarter mile times, that is impressive.

Originally Posted by Cali2MDevo8
BR did a back-to-back dyno comparison on the stock manifold; his p/p manifold and the Full-Race manifold. The FR manifold made more power but not much. I think the thread was back in 2005.

I would suggest getting the Hotside ported/polished/coated as well.

I have a BR ported/polished/coated manifold sitting in my garage right now.

Jason
I commented about this test in my above post, but thanks for the heads-up. The main reason I disagree with some of the information posted here is the fact that (according to the dyno I was tested on) I have seen significant power increases with just a few minor modifications and I attribute some of that success to the Full-Race manifold. For those members who have not seen the results on a first-person basis, the dyno testing performed by Buschur has become the sole source of knowledge regarding manifold comparison. May I remind all of you that the tests were performed by Buschur Racing, the same company providing (and profiting from) the services of porting and coating the stock cast iron manifold.

-Carl

Last edited by Spent198; Oct 25, 2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Can u clarify your signature modifications and dyno numbers with the track time of 11.65@116mph?Your sig says Green+meth... and you mentioned dynoing 387whp and running 116mph.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Spent198
I agree with you, and thank you for adding to my comment regarding the sometimes unreliability of dyno testing as a tool for comparison. Congrats on your quarter mile times, that is impressive.

I commented about this test in my above post, but thanks for the heads-up. The main reason I disagree with some of the information posted here is the fact that (according to the dyno I was tested on) I have seen significant power increases with just a few minor modifications and I attribute some of that success to the Full-Race manifold. For those members who have not seen the results on a first-person basis, the dyno testing performed by Buschur has become the sole source of knowledge regarding manifold comparison. May I remind all of you that the tests were performed by Buschur Racing, the same company providing (and profiting from) the services of porting and coating the stock cast iron manifold.

-Carl
BR actually supports the FR manifold. It did make more power than his ported manifold. This was done back in 2005 and in the same thread, he tested the "ebay 02 housing" and was kind of upset that an "ebay" product actually made power as well.

Would love for someone to do some more testing, but still don't think $1000 is worth a few extra ponies

Quick Reply: Full Race Manifold on Evogreen IX - Yes or No?