Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Full Race Manifold on Evogreen IX - Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:01 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oracle1
Is it worth swapping the OEM manifold for the Full Race Manifold on a IX with an Evogreen turbo?
im a little biased, but if you plan on staying with a green, its a good mod to make. here is a good comparison of a buschur ported manifold vs full-race manifold

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
I don't understand this porting of the stock manifold being a better solution over headers. The purpose of the equal length headers is to isolate exhaust gases into seperate pulses from the exhaust valves. Each runner will get it's own self-contained exhaust pulse which, under extreme pressure, will direct flow to the turbine housing in a non-turbulent fashion which should cause faster spoolup and good flow. There is little chance that the exhaust gases would collide with each other and back up into the head with this manifold. The 'log' manifold can, which would play havoc with the efficiency of the motor. Porting the 'log' doesn't take this problem away - it only causes better flow, but the flow is turbulent as opposed to directed like the headers would be.
pretty good explanation

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
The stock evo mani is a very well designed twin scroll manifold. The full race is very well designed manifold as well. But on the evo it is only good for 6whp. Not worth the 1k price if you ask me. especially since the tubular manifolds add so much heat to the engine compartment.
6whp? look at the dynoplot above, i see peak gains of ~25 whp, and significant spool improvement...

Originally Posted by bkuddah
have your manifold ported, then swaincoat it =D
Originally Posted by 596736
If your on a budget port the stocker. It might not look as good as the full race but it performs just as well
Originally Posted by scheides
Yup, the full-race is the only manifold that is worth a damn on the stock (or green) turbo. If you're on any sort of a budget, just get your stock exhaust manifold ported and coated, you will see nearly identical results.
Originally Posted by stig's_mentor
or u could send your manifold and 02 housin to xrmoto on mlr im sure he could do a good job portin it, then u can have them coated by one of those rally guy's u know. i want the full race mani as well, but not sure if it's gonna give me more power, or more lag
porting helps a little (very little) but will not perform as well as a full-race manifold. .. i disagree you would see identical results. if the car was otherwise 100% stock with stock o2, stock downpipe, stock turbo stock everything, then maybe they would perform the same, but thats only becuse the engine cant breathe so the manifold isnt being used anywhere near its potential...

Originally Posted by SoCalRedLine
A tubular header, no matter how great the welding, will eventually crack, and need to be re-welded. no problem if youre on a race team...maybe a problem if youre sponsered by your pocketbook. cost to benefit fo rth estocker outweighs the tubular mani... wait to get a 35r...then buy the manifold.
Originally Posted by Burklow
My only concern with a full race or tubular manifolds is cracking. Apparently they all do at some point or another.
Full-Race manifolds will not crack and will not need to be re-welded. Our manifolds are very overbuilt and are meant for street cars that see inclement weather, hot summers, freezing winters, snow, sleet, ice and everything in between. long term durability and reliability is paramount
Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Very reassuring to hear!

Only one thing to do now...
Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

I guess it's the whole "You get what you pay for" philosophy. Megan tubular headers (around $200) are the ones I see cracking all the time. Some guys figure if it cracks in less than a year, the company replaces it with a brand new one under warranty. I've only heard of one high quality AMS tubular ever cracking. All depends on how it was taken care of too.

After looking a little more at the full race manifold, I think it's a quality product. I couldn't find any search results of it letting anyone down. Didn't mean to judge too soon, but I guess I'm always a little bit paranoid of parts I haven't seen installed yet. Little expensive? yeah, but if it does the job everyday without a problem, who cares. You'll spend more in the long run if you bought a cheaper product (::cough:: megan) and damaged something.

This will be a brand I would consider when/if I do a 20G-LT.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
im a little biased

6whp? look at the dynoplot above, i see peak gains of ~25 whp, and significant spool improvement...

I would say you are more than biased. Burshur tested your manifold on his near 500 dynojet hp car. It was good for 6hp. There was no significant spool improvement. I can pull up the dyno graph for you if you like. I will trust a back to back from buschur on a maxed out setup, over your back to back on a 340hp car.

I cant wait for one of your twin scroll manifolds to be swapped in to a flying maxed out setup and we find it looses hp like good tuners have been saying for 40 years.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 05:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Full Race, I'm having trouble reading your dyno. In what RPM range is the 25 whp gain?
Old Oct 25, 2007, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it looks like the graph follows increments of 500rpm, with the hp/tq crossing at 5252rpm.

from this example, there appears to be 500 rpm or so sooner spool with the Full-race and like 15whp extra on the topend as well...
Old Oct 25, 2007, 07:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
why is the lower power number on the full-race-geoff dyno chart so smooth & damped?

i have to believe that a after market header will make more power than a stock mani that's ported on a fp-grn if everything else is in place to allow the entire aspect of the engine/turbo to breath, including the tune......i said i beleive, but i will find out in the next month or 2 if the megan header is worth the hassle or not, with my own test.....
Old Oct 25, 2007, 09:37 PM

I have a hard time readingthis graph, but 25whp is ridiculous. The smoothing looks perfect on one pull and crazy on another.

I would love to see back to back testing done. Any tuners out there willing to do this that has access to a FR manifold and BR ported stocker?

Anyone in the MD/PA area up for a back to back testing? I have a BR ported stocker in my garage. Maybe we can talk Chad up at CBRD to do some "free testing" LOL.
jason

Last edited by Cali2MDevo8; Oct 25, 2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
It would need to be done with an FP EvoGreen, and not an OEM turbo, to see if there's a significant difference.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Can u clarify your signature modifications and dyno numbers with the track time of 11.65@116mph?Your sig says Green+meth... and you mentioned dynoing 387whp and running 116mph.
I have a pretty basic common setup I would say:

Snow Performance Meth kit
FP GREEN
Full Race Manifold
Hallman MBC
GSC 272's
ARP Head studs
Helix Intercooler pipes
Turbo XS FMIC
Helix 3" TBE w/ titek O2 Housing
Walbro FP
PTE 780cc Injectors

My numbers on the dyno were 387hp 385tq on 91 octane & 100% methanol. I just ran this past weekend a best of 11.65@116mph with a 1.72 60'ft. My downside is I have an MR so I have to shift to 5th gear before crossing the line but no biggie. Out of curiosity, are my dyno numbers to low or high for the times I hit at the track?
Old Oct 25, 2007, 11:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by caLi4G63
I have a pretty basic common setup I would say:

Snow Performance Meth kit
FP GREEN
Full Race Manifold
Hallman MBC
GSC 272's
ARP Head studs
Helix Intercooler pipes
Turbo XS FMIC
Helix 3" TBE w/ titek O2 Housing
Walbro FP
PTE 780cc Injectors

My numbers on the dyno were 387hp 385tq on 91 octane & 100% methanol. I just ran this past weekend a best of 11.65@116mph with a 1.72 60'ft. My downside is I have an MR so I have to shift to 5th gear before crossing the line but no biggie. Out of curiosity, are my dyno numbers to low or high for the times I hit at the track?
Where were you tuned? Which dyno, I mean?
Old Oct 25, 2007, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

DynoJet @ Tuning Technologies
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by caLi4G63
DynoJet @ Tuning Technologies
On a Dynojet, I would hope to hit those numbers without meth. Good ol 91 octane!! How much boost?

Last edited by Cali2MDevo8; Oct 26, 2007 at 12:29 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cali2MDevo8
On a Dynojet, I would hope to hit those numbers without meth. Good ol 91 octane!! How much boost?
What I'm trying to say is that Dyno numbers mean nothing, they may seem low or high, I really don't care. The car drives awesome and obviously it's capable of pulling good times. Before the meth setup I was pulling 321whp & 321tq, low numbers right? With that power I was doing 12.3's at the strip on straight 91 octane. And yes, 91 octane blows big time!

edit: I'm running a peak of 28psi

Last edited by caLi4G63; Oct 26, 2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spent198
My Full-Race manifold decreased turbo spool time and increased power significantly once tuned. Keep in mind I sent it for Swain-Tech White Lightning coating before install. Unfortunately I do not have a baseline dyno graph, but I do have the before-tune vs. after-tune graph uploaded...

Theoretically, the Full-Race manifold should work with the FP Green turbo. Correct me if I am wrong.

-Carl
there is something wrong with your car if its only making 326hp and you have all the stuff thats in your signature go back to turbotrix asap

Quick Reply: Full Race Manifold on Evogreen IX - Yes or No?