Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Full Race Manifold on Evogreen IX - Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2007, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Full Race Manifold on Evogreen IX - Yes or No?

Is it worth swapping the OEM manifold for the Full Race Manifold on a IX with an Evogreen turbo?

Put me out of my misery

TIA
Old Oct 23, 2007, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

send the OEM mani to buscher and get it ported thats the best thing i guess
Old Oct 23, 2007, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

or u could send your manifold and 02 housin to xrmoto on mlr

im sure he could do a good job portin it, then u can have them coated by one of those rally guy's u know.

i want the full race mani as well, but not sure if it's gonna give me more power, or more lag
Old Oct 23, 2007, 05:46 PM

have your manifold ported, then swaincoat it =D
Old Oct 23, 2007, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your on a budget port the stocker. It might not look as good as the full race but it performs just as well
Old Oct 23, 2007, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stig's_mentor
or u could send your manifold and 02 housin to xrmoto on mlr

im sure he could do a good job portin it, then u can have them coated by one of those rally guy's u know.

i want the full race mani as well, but not sure if it's gonna give me more power, or more lag
My Full-Race manifold decreased turbo spool time and increased power significantly once tuned. Keep in mind I sent it for Swain-Tech White Lightning coating before install. Unfortunately I do not have a baseline dyno graph, but I do have the before-tune vs. after-tune graph uploaded...

Theoretically, the Full-Race manifold should work with the FP Green turbo. Correct me if I am wrong.

-Carl

Last edited by Spent198; Oct 23, 2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 596736
If your on a budget port the stocker. It might not look as good as the full race but it performs just as well
Have you ever seen Full-Race's dyno comparisons between "Log" manifolds and Equal-Length manifolds? If not, I suggest you do a search.

EDIT:

Here, I will help you out.
http://www.evans-tuning.com/media.html

Click on FR Manifold Test. This is just one example of Equal-Length (significantly) outperforming "Log" manifolds.

-Carl

Last edited by Spent198; Oct 23, 2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

I don't understand this porting of the stock manifold being a better solution over headers. The purpose of the equal length headers is to isolate exhaust gases into seperate pulses from the exhaust valves. Each runner will get it's own self-contained exhaust pulse which, under extreme pressure, will direct flow to the turbine housing in a non-turbulent fashion which should cause faster spoolup and good flow. There is little chance that the exhaust gases would collide with each other and back up into the head with this manifold. The 'log' manifold can, which would play havoc with the efficiency of the motor. Porting the 'log' doesn't take this problem away - it only causes better flow, but the flow is turbulent as opposed to directed like the headers would be.

Just my 2 cents.

I've had excellent results with my Megan headers as far as more torque and faster spoolup. My setup can spool just as fast as a MIVEC in the low end.

-M
Old Oct 23, 2007, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
I don't understand this porting of the stock manifold being a better solution over headers. The purpose of the equal length headers is to isolate exhaust gases into seperate pulses from the exhaust valves. Each runner will get it's own self-contained exhaust pulse which, under extreme pressure, will direct flow to the turbine housing in a non-turbulent fashion which should cause faster spoolup and good flow. There is little chance that the exhaust gases would collide with each other and back up into the head with this manifold. The 'log' manifold can, which would play havoc with the efficiency of the motor. Porting the 'log' doesn't take this problem away - it only causes better flow, but the flow is turbulent as opposed to directed like the headers would be.

Just my 2 cents.

I've had excellent results with my Megan headers as far as more torque and faster spoolup. My setup can spool just as fast as a MIVEC in the low end.

-M
Yeah, what he said!

-Carl
Old Oct 23, 2007, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to hi-jack, but would similar results be netted by a Evo IX? I'm still on a stock turbo, but even in that case would it be worthwhile?
Old Oct 24, 2007, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spent198
Have you ever seen Full-Race's dyno comparisons between "Log" manifolds and Equal-Length manifolds? If not, I suggest you do a search.

EDIT:

Here, I will help you out.
http://www.evans-tuning.com/media.html

Click on FR Manifold Test. This is just one example of Equal-Length (significantly) outperforming "Log" manifolds.

-Carl

What exactly does this have to do with OUR manifold?? How about actually searching to see if the ported stocker has been compared to the FR? (hint....it's been done....which is why you see so many people recommending to port the stocker.)
Old Oct 24, 2007, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
The stock evo mani is a very well designed twin scroll manifold. The full race is very well designed manifold as well. But on the evo it is only good for 6whp. Not worth the 1k price if you ask me. especially since the tubular manifolds add so much heat to the engine compartment.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

i guess the only it is worth getting a tubular manifold if your useing a bigger turbo. am i right on that?
Old Oct 24, 2007, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Not worth the money over a ported/coated stocker. If you have money coming out your ears, go for it though.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 02:55 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Yup, the full-race is the only manifold that is worth a damn on the stock (or green) turbo. If you're on any sort of a budget, just get your stock exhaust manifold ported and coated, you will see nearly identical results.

Quick Reply: Full Race Manifold on Evogreen IX - Yes or No?