Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Poor gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2007, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any reason why I would get 15mpg with normal driving, on from what I can tell at the time, a stock car?
Old Oct 29, 2007, 07:19 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by grillpt
your never going to get the mileage you did in your 350 as it was not turbocharged
Are you kidding me? If you aren't tracking the car during that tank and you are spending any time on the highway you should be seeing at least 19mpg. Just because you CAN flow more air does not mean you will flow more air. (more air=more fuel). Gas mileage for any reasonably lower displacement turbo car should be much better than its larger NA brethren. Of course cams, fuel delivery, engine setup, state of tune, and driving style can all affect this though.

Originally Posted by w8lifter21
Any reason why I would get 15mpg with normal driving, on from what I can tell at the time, a stock car?
Oh no homes, what did you get your hands on? You should call on the MWIR crew

In any case, both of you should:
Check for boost leaks ASAP. If you find any fix them and then pull your ecu fuse to reset your ecu.
Check your airbox for restrictions (including a clogged filter)
Check your MAF out, make sure it looks clean, if not find the way to properly clean it or replace it.
Make sure your O2 sensor is working properly, maybe someone ran leaded gas and fouled it.
Check your spark plugs for wear and gap if they are copper, replace them if necessary (copper or iridium).

You could also go as far as to flow test your injectors, but the problem here is too much fuel instead of too little. It is possible, however, that one of them is very dirty and sticking open.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's no reason you can't get *much* better than 15 mpg with the stock turbo. By all means, upgrade if you want a different turbo but I'm sure it's the tune rather than the turbo that's improving the mileage.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

I get 240-280 miles per tank 240 if I drive it 280 if I babie it
Old Nov 2, 2007, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

I'll check for boost leaks when I get back home. If its all good then it has to be the tune. I have a feeling ill be making a trip to AMS real soon, if I have all my mods or not. I can't have 14mpg on my daily driver
Old Nov 2, 2007, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Exactly why I am trying to sell my Miata. What supporting mods would I need to have in order to run a GT30/35R besides the following?
-LICP&UICP with larger FMIC(maybe AMS)
-Crower Cams
-Wal 255
-Helix DP, test pipe and HKS cat back
-I believe the car came with an Exedy stage 2 clutch or something similar
-Obviously a tune

Do I need to upgrade the bottom end and valvetrain as well? I'd like to go with a bigger turbo, but I don't see me being able to build either the top end or the bottom end anytime soon
I'm on the stock motor. Just a bolt on SBR 3076 HAFE kit and 850's tuned via ecuflash. I have mods in sig.

I'm running about 1.4-1.5 BAR on it.

It totally balanced the car out. No more meth head stock turbo, and boost when you don't want it. I still see 20psi in 3rd around 3800/4000. And pulls 200% better than the stock turbo on top. And I get alot better gas mileage when my foots not in it.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

350z's get way better millage than evos
evos are sub 20mpg cars

my life time average with the evo is 17mpg.

it almost always gets 17mpg.
when i beat on it i get about 14-15mpg
at the track i will get 5mpg!!!!
on long freeway trips i can get maybe like 22-24mpg but thats rare and only on long freeway trips.

if you dont drive the car hard you shuld get about 17-19mpg

the main reason why the evo gets such bad gas millage is because its AWD

Last edited by riceball777; Nov 2, 2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Another thing to consider is the craptacular Illinois gas. Of course if you get gas from Citgo or some other garbage station you're going to have bad gas mileage, but it's more than just that.

Up here in northern IL it seems all pump gas is cut with at least 10% ethanol and 93 octane costs about $3.20 a gallon. I just got back from visiting family back in Kentucky and gas there is straight 93 octane and an average of $3.00 a gallon. I was getting 300 miles from a full tank all the way down to 1/4 of a tank. In Illinois, I can't get any better than 220 miles before I'm at 1/4 of a tank. I only use Shell gas, no matter where I am at.

So, Illinois thins out the gas and charges you more, causing you to spend more money and get worse gas mileage? Awesomeness.

At least they've got cool firearm laws up here!
Old Nov 5, 2007, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Thats weird, I have a TBE, and my boost is at 22psi thats it. And I was out for a cruise with a bunch of people and used a tank up in a day and a half, and I got 19 mpg. I was racing more than half the time too. I think its odd for you to be getting 15 normal driving!
Old Nov 6, 2007, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

This is so frustrating lol. Anyone care to shed some light on this new "issue" that I noticed last night?

I took off from a stop light and the steering wheel turns and the car moves with the crowns/grooves in the road. On some well worn roads I have to almost fight to keep the car straight. On completely flat roads, car goes straight as can be.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

This is so frustrating lol. Anyone care to shed some light on this new "issue" that I noticed last night?

I took off from a stop light and the steering wheel turns and the car moves with the crowns/grooves in the road. On some well worn roads I have to almost fight to keep the car straight. On completely flat roads, car goes straight as can be.
New tires fixed this

Ok, on my way in to work this morning i'm cruising at about 65-70, 5th gear. I put the pedal to the floor and the stock boost gauge goes all the way to 1.5 bar, then goes down to about 1/2 way between 1.0-1.5, then goes down to just above 1.0bar and then stays there. I let off right as I neared 85-90mph.

Not too sure how accurate the gauge is, just what I saw. That means I spiked to around ~21psi and then trickels down and holds at ~15psi in 5th gear. Sound normal or is there too little info/too many variables?
Old Nov 7, 2007, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

How'd that boost leak test go that you did on Friday?
Old Nov 7, 2007, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

I didn't get a chance to do it, I was out of town because my grandma turned 100!!!
Old Nov 7, 2007, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
congrats on your grandma hitting the century mark...
also if you're hitting 15psi in 5th from a 21psi spike ...you probably have a nice leak somewhere
Old Nov 7, 2007, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
congrats on your grandma hitting the century mark...
also if you're hitting 15psi in 5th from a 21psi spike ...you probably have a nice leak somewhere
I didn't know that a lifetime of fried chicken, gritz, biscuits and gravy, and 30 years of a pack-a-day smoking does a body good, just like milk . We're just happy she is mentally "with it" and in general good health.

Yeah that's what I figured, ~ what PSI should I be holding at so I have a point of reference?

Quick Reply: Poor gas mileage