Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ignition system problem. NO SPARK=NO START

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2007, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition system problem. NO SPARK=NO START

I have a 2006 evo IX that is heavily modified with a 30R, 1000cc injectors, ams intake manifold, AEM EMS, BUSCHER COIL ON PLUG, etc... well I got the car 3000 miles ago and after about 750 miles of driving the ignition system was arking so I replaced the plugs and that did nothing. Then I replaced a coil and boot because the boot was to short so i suspected that was why it was arking. Apparently it was not, next I re-gapped the plugs to .22 (denso iridiums ikh24) and the car ran fine until the top of 4th where it would miss like crazy and sound like I was making popcorn. I bought another new boot because I saw discoloration on the top of a coil so I thought that was bad , I was receiving the coil today. last night it was raining heavily and i parked the car outside last night and came out this morning and the car wouldn't start just constant cranking. so I pulled the COP off and put a plug in one of the boots and cranked the car to see if it had spark(i know it has fuel pressure)and I was right NO SPARK at all. Any one had this problem before? I am open to try anything so please give me your suggestions. thanks

Last edited by Evoovasti; Oct 25, 2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possible crank postion sensor problem. May throw a "soft code" if the car is not starting. Put an OBDII scanner on it and see if there is a code for the crank position sensor. If so, you have found your problem and you need to replace it. It's not too bad to get to the sensor, but routing a new wire will require signifigant disassembly.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 07:16 AM
Former Sponsor

hes got AEM, obd2 scanner isn't going to do anything.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 07:50 AM

Is the crank position sensor the wire coming out of the front of the motor by the header? because if so I think that could be it because the harness that connects the wires was all wet. could it just be that the sensor is ruined? or I blew a fuse for it? But still there was no spark when I pulled the plugs and the ignition system and cranked the car.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 07:58 AM
Former Sponsor

the harness for the crank position sensor is right behind the valve cover, passenger side. close to the fuel pressure regulator. the wire does come out just to the passenger side of the headers, by the power steering pump. if that sensor isn't working the car will definately not start. can you hook a laptop up tothe AEM? if so, your Tachometer should show 0rpm when trying to start it. the AEM should read like 50-100 rpm when starter is turning. if it reads nothing your crank position sensor has a problem.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 05:43 PM

thanks for the input and help guys. I didn't touch the car all weekend, then about an hour ago I tried to start the car and it started right up.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 03:22 PM

okay well i drove the car all last night started it about 5 times over the course of the night and everything was fine. I parked the car this morning and tried to start it and it just cranked forever never started. I am pretty sure no moisture got under the hood because it was not parked near any sprinklers and it didn't rain. where would I get the software for AEM to check about the crank position senser.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Install this on a laptop. If your laptop does not have Serial port then you will need to go to your local best buy or similar to pick up a USB to Serial adapter, BBY's house dynex one works fine. Connect the laptop, turn key to the on position and connect to the EMS. http://forum.aempower.com/forum/inde...c,17194.0.html

Goto: Configure>units
Click from the drop down menu "AFR" select gasoline and click apply
" " "Load Units" select PSI and click apply and ok

Now Under the File, edit menus there should be various buttons to click, click the last one "tuning" then try starting the car. Also log some pulls in 3rd gear by hitting the F6 key before the pull in the AEM software.

Blake