Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car runs bad after cams

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2007, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I honestly would do a leak down test on every cylinder first just to check to make sure its not one cylinder thats gone south on you. I have seen one or 2 customers try to do their own cam installs before and they just happened to nick a valve while bolting the cams down and it will cause just enough leakage for it to ide rough and run rough at low rpm but they tend to smooth out a bit more at say 3500 rpm and above but they also tend to lack the power that they should produce. If you by chance did nick a valve or 2 it will cause low vacume at idle and that will cause an almost impossable to tune out rich condition at low rpm's where the motor isn't so efficient compared to higher rpm's and under boost.

Last edited by CandCPerformanc; Nov 1, 2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 04:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CandCPerformanc
I honestly would do a leak down test on every cylinder first just to check to make sure its not one cylinder thats gone south on you. I have seen one or 2 customers try to do their own cam installs before and they just happened to nick a valve while bolting the cams down and it will cause just enough leakage for it to ide rough and run rough at low rpm but they tend to smooth out a bit more at say 3500 rpm and above but they also tend to lack the power that they should produce. If you by chance did nick a valve or 2 it will cause low vacume at idle and that will cause an almost impossable to tune out rich condition at low rpm's where the motor isn't so efficient compared to higher rpm's and under boost.
makes sense...thanks
Old Nov 2, 2007, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

yeah... im gonna get up with troung and head out his way tonight if u wanna tag along bobby.... i have lost too much sleep over this.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by E VOL IX
yeah... im gonna get up with troung and head out his way tonight if u wanna tag along bobby.... i have lost too much sleep over this.
I wish i could. inlaws in town. please keep me in the loop this weekend, thanks
Old Nov 2, 2007, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

i will man.. i know troung is freakin out cause i havent talked to him... I was soooooo hung over the past couple days man..... after halloween im not drinking for a while hahaha... this chick that didnt even speak english was trying to get me to leave with her.... but i think she was just gonna jack me or something
Old Nov 3, 2007, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Any new info on the issue?
Old Nov 3, 2007, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

nope not yet... i got home late from picking my car up in raleigh and never talked to him. I told him to lets put the stockers back in and if it still fails compression then juts take it to dealer and get **** replaced... he said he would just rather build it.. If that is the case there is no need to even try to put the stockers back in... I dunno he is a good friend of mine. I will do whatever he wants
Old Nov 4, 2007, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by E VOL IX
i will man.. i know troung is freakin out cause i havent talked to him... I was soooooo hung over the past couple days man..... after halloween im not drinking for a while hahaha... this chick that didnt even speak english was trying to get me to leave with her.... but i think she was just gonna jack me or something
there you go stereotyping again........

if he wants to build, im in