Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch is slipping, got a couple questions about the replacement.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2007, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch is slipping, got a couple questions about the replacement.

I just purchased a 2004 EVO VIII with an ACT HDSS and Xtreme Lightweight Flywheel combo. Roughly 15k miles on it, and it's slipping at high RPMs. I've decided that instead of dropping the $1,400 on the Exedy Twin, I'm going to go with another ACT and see how it holds up with my own style of driving. My only concern is will I have to replace my current lightweight flywheel along with a new ACT clutch and pressure plate? I'm pretty sure it would be safe to just keep the current flywheel but I figured I'd ask some fellow EVO owners who have maybe been in the same situation knowing how a ton of us go through clutches like crazy.

Looking for some quick and helpful answers. All input is welcome and thanks in advance for the advice.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Do yourself a favor and if you dont want a recockulous clutch just gat the exedy twin disc standard duty instead of the HD. The act will lock you out at high RPM shifts, and if your going to buy a flywheel too just spend the extra and get the exedy.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 12:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by natilution
I just purchased a 2004 EVO VIII with an ACT HDSS and Xtreme Lightweight Flywheel combo. Roughly 15k miles on it, and it's slipping at high RPMs. I've decided that instead of dropping the $1,400 on the Exedy Twin, I'm going to go with another ACT and see how it holds up with my own style of driving. My only concern is will I have to replace my current lightweight flywheel along with a new ACT clutch and pressure plate? I'm pretty sure it would be safe to just keep the current flywheel but I figured I'd ask some fellow EVO owners who have maybe been in the same situation knowing how a ton of us go through clutches like crazy.

Looking for some quick and helpful answers. All input is welcome and thanks in advance for the advice.
In most cases our flywheels can be resurfaced unless they are warped really badly. Have a machine shop check the flywheel before putting it back in with the new clutch kit.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

im not surprised, act clutches are grossly overrated as far as tq capacity goes, ive seen them slip in less than 6 weeks with a car that was only making half the tq the clutch was rated at... sorry act, im just not a fan anymore...

do as burnall says and go for the exedy twin...
Old Oct 30, 2007, 08:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evo L
im not surprised, act clutches are grossly overrated as far as tq capacity goes, ive seen them slip in less than 6 weeks with a car that was only making half the tq the clutch was rated at... sorry act, im just not a fan anymore...

do as burnall says and go for the exedy twin...
You're entitled to your opinion as is everyone on here. My post was simply to answer whether or not our flywheels can be resurfaced. My post was not about ACT vs. Exedy .