Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Anybody do ARP rod bolt "Upgrade" stage 5 Buschur

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2007, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See, even newbie's like me can write interesting posts, once in a blue moon
Old Nov 26, 2007, 02:15 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rofl, david is funny as hell!
Old Jan 3, 2008, 02:43 PM

A shop told me that my rod bearing was starting to go. I have 300 hp and i rev to 7600. never low on oil so I'm not sure why this is happening. Its a very slight noise They told me that they would have to remove the head and take the piston and rod out through the top. Why can't the just remove and replave just the bearing from the bottom like the rod bolts done here?
Old Jan 3, 2008, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Evonrails,

If you're rod bearings are "starting to go" and you already have a noise, it's probably due to your stock rod bolts having stretched, allowing more clearance for the bearings, and causing the bearings to start being bashed. There's probably no harm in starting at the bottom of the motor, and checking the condition of the bearings and clearances first. You might get lucky.

If, as is more commonly found, the bearings AND the big end of the rods are both out of spec, that can't be fixed in the car. The rods have to be taken out and either replaced with better quality rods, or the caps shaved and the big ends resized into proper specification so that they will provide the proper clamp force and clearance with your new bearings.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:29 PM

okay i took the rod bearings out and they look great. No wear or play. Nothing, nothing at all wrong. So what I have done now is just put everything back together.

My question is... can i reuse factory rod bolts and torque the to the 15 lbs +90 degree factory torque specs? That is what I have done for now. I haven't started the motor up yet.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 08:09 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Evonrails
okay i took the rod bearings out and they look great. No wear or play. Nothing, nothing at all wrong. So what I have done now is just put everything back together.

My question is... can i reuse factory rod bolts and torque the to the 15 lbs +90 degree factory torque specs? That is what I have done for now. I haven't started the motor up yet.
that makes no sence to do that,,, your in there take advantage of it and put some new stronger bolts in there for cheap inssurance
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
pork, chicken, italian, turkey, summer or maybe a little African, it doesn't matter as long as it's firm and still has the bone in it. Just take it and smile! haha

Glad you guys find me humorus.
lmfao
Old Mar 1, 2008, 06:32 PM
Former Sponsor

http://www.arp-bolts.com/Catalog/Cat...talog_0033.pdf

Straight from ARP. Call them up and ask them for yourself. They'll tell you to have them resized. People that don't have the means of doing it will tell you it doesn't need to be done.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
If the engine is in good working order and the bearings are also good, there is no reason to re-size the rods. We have the mean of re-sizing rods, that statement is as rediculous as your claim to the first 8 second 4g63 DSM.

We've done rod bolts in no less than 25 EVO's and have never had a single problem.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

It wasnt even "their car" it was Glazars how can say they did it? and didnt they have a big falling out and only used one or two of their engines. To the person that reused a torque to yeild bolt do not start the engine. the bolts are stretched that you reused. That why you turn them 90* thats the stretching of it instead of torqueing it to an actual #. you will probably ruin your crank by reusing those bolts.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 05:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by whitey4d
It wasnt even "their car" it was Glazars how can say they did it?
Because he was running 9.50's before we did the motor work
Old Mar 19, 2008, 09:54 PM

oh yeah, the shop was wrong about my motor. Never did find out what that noise was. only heard it that one time. I took the caps off and looked at the bearings and all. everything was fine. I reused the bearings and studs by torquing them to spec and turning 90 degrees. I had the car tuned after that. its been back together for about three months with no problems. I put down 365 hp and 385lbs torque on 30 psi with meth.