Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Simple answer? Oil Loss 1 qt/ 500 miles. BAD BLOWBY?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2007, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
honestly i would take it to a pro...not your "mechanic"...from what your said about him it doesn't seem like he knows exactly what he is talking about. theres a big difference between a mechanic and someone who builds engines for a living.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ChuckP
My last car was a G35 coupe. After 20k miles, it started consuming about a quart of oil every 500-700 miles. When i would get on it, i could see dark smoke out the exhaust. (was running test pipes).
Infiniti performed a compression test, which it passed. They then did a leak down and it failed. It ended up being that the piston rings on one of the cylinders were fried. But i got a new long block for free.
Just throwing that out there..Good luck, hope its nothing major.
Thanks Chuck! I am waiting to do the "leakdown" as I think it will show more then a compression check. I broke it in like I was supposed to, not sure if it is a ring it would be from the initial break in. could have broke somewhere down the road no? Maybe running too rich too long without a tune could have dousched the rings?
Old Nov 2, 2007, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by feldguy
You know I had a thought....did you ever go ahead with the fund raiser we had been talking about oh so long ago?
Which one? the Winged Warrior event for the kids? Or the "OH CRAP, I just blew up another part.......... fund raiser?"
Old Nov 2, 2007, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zlancer
honestly i would take it to a pro...not your "mechanic"...from what your said about him it doesn't seem like he knows exactly what he is talking about. theres a big difference between a mechanic and someone who builds engines for a living.

Actually, my "mechanics" are Mitsubishi mechanics.(At the local dealership) Not many 4G63 engine builders around me. I am smack dab in the middle of Buschur and AMS mileage wise.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

I not entirely sure what caused my rings to go. But to this day i blame it on my accidental 3rd to 2nd gear down shift on the highway. Mechanical over rev probably got the best of my rings.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ChuckP
I not entirely sure what caused my rings to go. But to this day i blame it on my accidental 3rd to 2nd gear down shift on the highway. Mechanical over rev probably got the best of my rings.
That sux Chuck, not sure what or IF the rings are bad on my car, or something else. I know I need to finish a tune, I know I am the reason gas is over $3/gallon (I am buying too much oil ) It might be a problem with the head? who knows. I do know, I will find out, and let you know.

I drive the car daily, it idles fine, runs fine, etc... but the pcv valve keeps popping out, and I drip a spot or 2 of oil where ever I park, the rest is going somewhere it shouldn't. I blew up my TC at the dragstrip a year ago, just off the launch control, KABOOM! Might have messed up a ring then? Not sure, it is the price we pay to play I guess.

I have boosted to 24psi a couple times in the last 8 months or so, and since it looks like a diesel, I stopped boosting much. It gets there fast, but if I slowly build boost, and watch the gauge, when it hits 10 psi, it flutters, and jumps up and down fast (from 5-10psi) if I try to hold it steady at 10 psi of boost. Could this be the boost pressure you are stuffing in the engine, blowing past the rings? blowing out of a boost leak? again, My Nickelodeon mechanic mind doesn't understand that. LOL. More symptoms/numbers up soon.

Chuck, I bet you did your "over-revving" on the twisties down to Santa Cruz? LOL. I went to school at Palmer West in Sunnyvale, so I know the "Bay Area" quite well...........and the roads there.

Last edited by smokedmustang; Nov 3, 2007 at 05:26 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Ok kids, here is the verdict. Does anyone have Dr. Jack Kevorkians phone number on speed dial?

Ok, I did 4 cranks each plug hole, (All plugs removed).

From Drivers side over to passenger side, with and without oil, here are the #'s

NO OIL:

1= 135
2= 129
3= 130
4= 130

Now with a capfull of oil in each hole (I guessed that would be a "squirt" of oil )

With OIL:

1. 137 (+2)
2. 138 (+9)
3. 148 (+18)
4. 152 (+22)

Now no matter what conversion factor I use..................I get the same answer.....I'm Screwed!

I imagine it was because I was UN-Tuned, and caused an oil wash out of the cylinders which caused this to happen. Imagine the Irony that I DITCHED THE METH because I didn't want to ruin this motor with the "washout"!!!!! My luck blows, but I am being put thru a test, and nobody told me to put my pencil down yet, so it will be on the road again in the spring! Thank God winter is here!! Any other suggestions? Since I think I don't need a leakdown check now, I will just change the rings and get my cylinder head beefed up while I am at it.

So before you guys get in my perdicament, remember this: CHECK FOR BOOST LEAKS (Will make the car run RICH till you plug them up), and GET TUNED! I am still going to go with www.mellontuning.com once I get it tightened up!!! Thanks for looking in, and am open for anything else I should do over the winter.

Last edited by smokedmustang; Nov 3, 2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smoked.....in all seriousness, I would consider just yanking the entire shortblock and have it freshened up.....

The idea there is that its gonna cost you a bit of cash anyways if you're not doing it yourself...

So if you send it out to BR or AMS, you are guaranteed a short block once again.

This time it needs a solid tune! And trust me with this break in stuff....once that motors warms up, give it a good pounding to seat up those rings.

babying it never got an engine anywhere.

But good luck, as always, if there is anything i can do let me know.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by feldguy
smoked.....in all seriousness, I would consider just yanking the entire shortblock and have it freshened up.....

The idea there is that its gonna cost you a bit of cash anyways if you're not doing it yourself...

So if you send it out to BR or AMS, you are guaranteed a short block once again.

This time it needs a solid tune! And trust me with this break in stuff....once that motors warms up, give it a good pounding to seat up those rings.

babying it never got an engine anywhere.

But good luck, as always, if there is anything i can do let me know.
Thanks a lot for your input (as always) What should the "normal" compression numbers be anyway? 175? Again, I have the winter to mess around with it, so I will take your advice. again thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

I will beat on it once it warms up, I heard that as well somewhere.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is an awesome article on breaking in an engine. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Used this on my 2 Streetbikes, and a rebuilt 4g63 on my old 2G.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by suekie
Here is an awesome article on breaking in an engine. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Used this on my 2 Streetbikes, and a rebuilt 4g63 on my old 2G.
Thanks suekie! You guys are making this into a very informative/useful thread! And thanks for the HUGE outpouring of pm's with Dr. Kevorkians cell number! jk

Last edited by smokedmustang; Nov 3, 2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hi my friend, did you do this test with the engine warmed up?
also did you talked to ams about the compression numbers what they should be?
Old Nov 3, 2007, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jrsimon27
hi my friend, did you do this test with the engine warmed up?
also did you talked to ams about the compression numbers what they should be?
WELCOME HOME AGAIN! Good to see you again.

I drove the car for 1 hour this morning, shut it off for 1/2 hour and checked it. It wasn't HOT, but warm. I haven't asked AMS what the #'s should be, but I gather this is LOW, and when I put oil in the holes, it raised the numbers Indicating a "ring" issue. The motor always used oil, always popped out the PCV valve off the valve cover. I was told by many down here in indy with modded/stroked/big turboed 4G63's that "excessive oil consumption" is normal for a stroker, so I left it at that. I can't recall when the "Diesel" smoke at WOT started, I had an O2 sensor go bad a few months ago, and that was like that for a few weeks running PIG RICH, so not sure what went and when. It was also tuned on the dyno twice with boost leaks (didn't know there were leaks), and not sure you would see a "ring" problem on the dyno anyway. Neither of the tuners mentioned the "Diesel" smoke, so I assume whatever started, started AFTER the dyno sessions. I will be putting it up for the winter soon, and start taking stuff apart again. (Always have a winter project with it anyway).

The starting point, or the origin of where the oil was leaking from, was never found. Put in Dye, changed head gasket 3 times (in case it was from there), and nothing. still leaked. I was told it might be from the "freeze plug" once, but that happened to not be the case. All this diagnosis stuff was done by mitsubishi mechanics.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Forgot to add, plugs were white on the electrode. I thought that meant a "lean burn" does that sound right?

Quick Reply: Simple answer? Oil Loss 1 qt/ 500 miles. BAD BLOWBY?