Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Normal Blowby ????????

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2007, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Normal Blowby ????????

Ok question here guys , those who are running a catch can from the pcv port on the backside of the valvecover. The question is

A. How often do you have to empty the catch can due to it filling up with blowby residual vapor and what not??

B. What does it normaly look and smell like I know it seems weird right but I just wonder what the consistency is of it????

C. Also I use a filter on the breather port it is normal to see a slight bit of vapor out of it as well correct?????

Old Nov 1, 2007, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Depends on how much oil your getting. I get about 3ml/week, I think it's due to the #1 cyl which is 5psi more than the others - been like that since 2004 as well as the oil qty going through the PVC.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steelcityevo8
Ok question here guys , those who are running a catch can from the pcv port on the backside of the valvecover. The question is

A. How often do you have to empty the catch can due to it filling up with blowby residual vapor and what not??

B. What does it normaly look and smell like I know it seems weird right but I just wonder what the consistency is of it????

C. Also I use a filter on the breather port it is normal to see a slight bit of vapor out of it as well correct?????

it'll depend a lot on the weather.... When it's hot, any water vapor that's in the blow by (yes, water is a product of combustion) will stay in the vapor form and you'll never catch it. The only thing you'll catch is oil vapor/mist that condenses, and it shouldn't be alot. Once it turns cold, the water vapor will condense in the can, and your volume collected will go up. It'll smell like a$$, and turn a chocolate milk looking color.

At idle, you shouldn't see any vapor coming out of the breather port, the valve cover should be under a slight vacuum, pulling in through the breather port, and going on into the intake manifold. Unless y our catch can is causing a higher dp than the intake manifold is running at idle, you should always be sucking in through the breather port at idle.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

I am not having what I would call alot coming from the pcv I have been using this way for maybe a month and it is just covering the bottom of the can with a hard to describe liquid , that smells like a combination of different things not just oil.

That is why I was wondering about what it looked and smelled like??

I would have to pour it into something to measure it and see how much I have accumulated so far in the 4 week span
Old Nov 1, 2007, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
it'll depend a lot on the weather.... When it's hot, any water vapor that's in the blow by (yes, water is a product of combustion) will stay in the vapor form and you'll never catch it. The only thing you'll catch is oil vapor/mist that condenses, and it shouldn't be alot. Once it turns cold, the water vapor will condense in the can, and your volume collected will go up. It'll smell like a$$, and turn a chocolate milk looking color.

At idle, you shouldn't see any vapor coming out of the breather port, the valve cover should be under a slight vacuum, pulling in through the breather port, and going on into the intake manifold. Unless y our catch can is causing a higher dp than the intake manifold is running at idle, you should always be sucking in through the breather port at idle.
The only time that I noticed the vapor is if I revved the motor while watching the breather . I just notice a small amount of oil residue under the breather filter so I revved her up a bit and noticed a small bit of vapor being emmitted from it. JUst wonderin how normal this was , I believed it to be normal just looking to confirm it.

I used to have it going to a catch can but had recently put the breather filter on it , I think I will buy another can and dump it into that again. I wanted to eliminat the pcv so I used the can for that instead