Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Do dyno #'s lie?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2007, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by warp9
but shops and /or tuners should not try to mislead their customers with an overinflated number. The truth will always come out in the end.
Well, then we will have to start another thread about tuners' ethics
Old Nov 5, 2007, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by homiusang
Well, then we will have to start another thread about tuners' ethics
Indeed
Old Nov 5, 2007, 05:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by wroblewskievo
ams does my tuning and their numbers are pretty accurate. but even they have told me not to look at peak hp and just look at the powerband.
That's because average power through each gear is what determines what happens in the real world, not peak 'dynoracing' figures.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
Without going into a(nother) lengthy discussion, a dyno result should be taken as an indicator and not an absolute. Furthermore, a dyno doesn't tell us anything about things like boost recovery and time to rpm.

The same can be said for calculated estimations, which must fudge on a number of important factors, such as drag coefficients. I know of at least three different ones that give three different results. They are educated guesses, nothing more, nothing less.

Lastly, the one thing that can be said for Dynojets is they are relatively consistent. Eddy current dynos such as Mustangs and DD are better for emulating real-world conditions, but user-defined changes to a simple 'correction factor' and/or different mode settings will give different numbers as compared to another, otherwise identical machine.
All true. I would rather deal with a modest reading dyno and be pleasantly surprised at the track then be mislead at the rollers. I think that would speak volumes about the integrity of the tuner/shop...ala David Buschur. He takes pride in a low reading dyno!
Old Nov 5, 2007, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

All true. I would rather deal with a modest reading dyno and be pleasantly surprised at the track then be mislead at the rollers. I think that would speak volumes about the integrity of the tuner/shop...ala David Buschur. He takes pride in a low reading dyno!
regarding mustang dynos not reading as low as it supposed to be, I agree. Alot of shops/tuners just wanted to make themselves look better, instead of trying to learn how to tune, in order to satisfy all the hp savvy customers nowsdays.

I feel lucky to be tuned on one of those unmolested mustang dynos

Also, I agree with Ted B regarding gearing. From my observation, 350z with 400whp on a Dj only traps 113-114, but on evo, it typically translates to 118
Old Nov 5, 2007, 06:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Many if not most shops that use low reading dynos use them as-is. The ones that alter the correction factor usualy do so only because they fear their clientele are somewhat unfamiliar and may be disappointed with the lower numbers as compared to a Dynojet. The problem comes about when the client isn't aware of this, or doesn't know what the correction factor is, and tries to draw comparisons elsewhere.

Last edited by Ted B; Nov 5, 2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

It would be nice to get some real world dyno/track comparisons posted... there has to be a bunch of racers on here that have gone to the track after a getting dynoed.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by homiusang
regarding mustang dynos not reading as low as it supposed to be, I agree. Alot of shops/tuners just wanted to make themselves look better, instead of trying to learn how to tune, in order to satisfy all the hp savvy customers nowsdays.

I feel lucky to be tuned on one of those unmolested mustang dynos

Also, I agree with Ted B regarding gearing. From my observation, 350z with 400whp on a Dj only traps 113-114, but on evo, it typically translates to 118
There is a lot of unknown variables here and I think that with so many variables comes very different results. I have seen 380whp (TT's DJ) Evos trap 118-119, while other Evo's with 400 trap the same or lower with some of the local DJs on the same track. Here is my ideal but unrealistic solution: We need a shop that has a 1/4 mile track on their back yard with a professional drag racer on payroll to keep things consistent and have the tuner tune during several passes.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Better yet, shops should dyno their shop cars and then bring them to the track. They should try to average the trap speeds and adjust their dynos accordingly.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 06:41 PM
EvoM Guru

That would not work.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

I am sure many dynos aren't as accurate as they seem, but the purpose of a dyno is to see gains, that is why a baseline is important. Anyhow I think your numbers do match up, 400-410whp is about 119-121mph traps in my opinion and that is about what you ran 118.8mph right? I'm sure if you continued running your EVO over and over again you could get a little higher traps and even better E.T.s
Old Nov 5, 2007, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Ah for comparison sake-

EVOs making 400-410whp with 20% lost at flywheel it is about 480-492hp and trap 119-121mph.

C6 Corvette Z06 is rated at 505hp and has better top end and aerodynamics and around 15 to 20hp advantage and traps 120-124mph on the average.

By the way both cars weigh similiar, actually I think Z06 is a little lighter.

HP calculators are neat tools, but not accurate.

Last edited by 3000ways; Nov 5, 2007 at 07:42 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
Many if not most shops that use low reading dynos use them as-is. The ones that alter the correction factor usualy do so only because they fear their clientele are somewhat unfamiliar and may be disappointed with the lower numbers as compared to a Dynojet. The problem comes about when the client isn't aware of this, or doesn't know what the correction factor is, and tries to draw comparisons elsewhere.
+10000
Old Nov 5, 2007, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

It would be nice to get some real world dyno/track comparisons posted... there has to be a bunch of racers on here that have gone to the track after a getting dynoed.
My car with me weights from 3480-3510 pounds (depends if i have the spare with me or not)...

On a DD i have seen 309whp on pump
On the strip i have seen 12.14 @ 114 on the same map...

At the track i did a 12.07 @ 113 on a really bad clutch (slipping all gears and smelling really bad) @ 26psi boost on Sunoco 116 and adjusted map...
On the DD i saw 330whp @ 26psi on racegas on a new clutch though and a bit better map...
Weight the lightest i have ever weighted is 3480 pounds...

Now all you guys that are goon in Math or have good horsepower calculators can play...
Old Nov 5, 2007, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

A Dyno is a tool for tuning.

ALL (even mustang) have a correction funtion.

A dyno can be fooled if the power comes on strong and "over rev's" the dyno drum/wheel even if the correction setting is accurate.

Fun tip: HP=TQ x RPM/ 5252

If the hp and tq curve do not cross at 5252 rpm there has been a correction or fraud

Quick Reply: Do dyno #'s lie?