Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Look what came out of my differential

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2007, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look what came out of my differential

I did a drive line fluid change yesterday and everything went smooth until i got to my diff. When I pulled the drain plug out, instead of metal shavings on the magnet, it was covered in a metal powder paste that had the consistency of anti-seize along with a few solid chunks.

These are the chunks I dug out (penny for size comparison):

Do any of you guys have some ideas as to which parts of the diff internals these came from? By the way, the car feels fine and I havent noticed a change since the last fluid change. Is this something I should be worried about?

Thanks for any help
Old Nov 5, 2007, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

LOL! I don't know but I think those chunks came out of my differential too because mines whines like crazy. Yeah I did notice pasty stuff and tiny metal particles, but the ones you have picture above is way bigger than the ones that came out of mines.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 07:04 PM

I notice a whine too sometimes, its like the diff is humming
Old Nov 5, 2007, 07:07 PM

Those deffienatly look like either a bearing race or a part off a gear flange. Something thats been heat treated and ground. Dosent appear to be a gear tooth, it has no curviture to it.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh damn!Thats never good.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 07:20 PM

both pieces are identical with the exception of the pieces sheared off of the one on the right. the edges are clean like they were machined (or forged) to be this shape. they dont look like they broke off of anything, its more like fell out of or off of something in there.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

rear diff correct?

looks like pieces of the floaters for the differential clutch packs, the dark marks look like the grooves to allow lubricant inbetween the plates

id say your in the market for a new diff

while i may not have parts falling out of my diff, i can say that the rear diff on my 03 is quite tired. i began noticing it about 6 months after adding a stiff rear swaybar & it has gotten progressively worse since then to the point where it is now behaving like a open diff

in my case i believe the OEM rear diff/Clutch Plates went because of the increased wear & tear of trying to equalize the wheel speeds with one tire in the air, which in my case/driving style happened quite often, accelerating the problem

are you running an upgraded rear swaybar?
Old Nov 6, 2007, 06:49 PM

Yes, rear diff and the dark lines are definately grooves.

I do not have an upgraded sway bar but i do have a hellaciously steep driveway on a narrow street that leaves me with a horrible angle of attack. i have to stop at the bottom while the garage door opens, put it in first, turn the wheel all the way to the right, and try to ease my way up into the driveway. almost always, for a moment i end up with 3 tires on the driveway and one still on the paved street and occasionaly the rear tire that hits the driveway first breaks loose and lets out a chirp. I dont know if this could have caused the damage over time, but its all i can think of.

I wish I wasnt in the market for a new diff, but I guess I am.

Last edited by macevo8; Nov 6, 2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

I agree with funevo. Looks like part of a bearing race. In the rear diff, there are 8 races. If you have access to a borescope, you could probably find it pretty easy.

It also wouldn't hurt to take the differential cover off and peak inside to see what you can find.

You could also try to find the diameter or radius of those pieces. Draw what you can in outline on a piece of paper, then use a compus to complete the circle and measure. Might help troubleshoot what it actually is.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

I looked at the pictures first, hahaha. I'm sure you can guess what I was thinking.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

LOL - rear diff's spitting out loose change?
I hate pennies, so that wouldn't make me happy. Maybe Franklins coming out would be nice.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
I looked at the pictures first, hahaha. I'm sure you can guess what I was thinking.
I was like what f'ed up assembly guy would put a penny in your diff??? But then I read.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
since our rear diffs are a "clutch" type, they should be rebuildable, and even setup more aggressive. When I was involved with 240sx's guys were packing in more clutches and setting the rear diff to be more aggressive. Someone who knows about our diffs chime in for me.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 07:57 AM

HAH! I knew someone would think the penny came out. Thats why I put the note in parentheses at the top. Man I would have caught hell if that note wasnt there.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
lmao...i am with the other people that thought a penny came out lol ....good laugh

Quick Reply: Look what came out of my differential