Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

timers/cooling

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2003, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question timers/cooling

hey guys, i just got my evo and am tired of cooling it down just for driving a mile down the street. any recommendations on good reliable turbo timers? also, while i research, anyone know how long the turbo should be cooled down for driving in town, long distances, and somewhat pushing it? thanks i really appreciate your help.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 02:17 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Hi. I'm in the "ya don't need no stinkin turbo timer" camp. Unless you are beating the tar out of the car in that mile drive, you do not need a turbo timer.

I have never found any benefit to using a turbo timer. If you take a couple of minutes on the drive home to not beat the crap out of the car it is fine. If you plan on punishing the car right up to the time that you shut the key off then maybe you need one. Otherwise a turbo timer is a waste of money and time. - Dave Buschur.... and he sells them.

Talk to a few tuners in your area who actually know what they are doing and you'll find that the use of synthetic oil precludes the need for a long cool down period unless you garage is located at the end of a 1/4 mile track. It is a bling bling...

Speedlimit...
Old Jul 14, 2003, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

If you do a search in these forums, you will find a lot of information on turbo timers. You won't go wrong with the big name brands like HKS, Blitz, etc.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

i agree with speed limit. just run it easy on about a mile or two before you get home.