Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 won't pass Emissions/smog test.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2007, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 won't pass Emissions/smog test.

My friends evo 8 it throwing codes out. So it won't pass emissions testing in Oregon. It's Throwing the following codes:

P0172: System too rich, Bank 1
P0243: Turbocharger wastegate solenoid malfunction A
P0300: Random/Multiple cylinder Misfire Detected.

Any help to troubleshoot the problem will be greatly appreciated!

And my mods are: ETS 57 trim, LICP, UICP, MBC, TBE, DOWNPIPE, PLX Wideband, HKS Intake, 720 cc Injectors, 255 lph fuel pump, and custom re-flash.

Last edited by nx302stang; Nov 8, 2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
P0300 to Evos is like the Cold-sore version of Herpes, just about everyone has it.

BTW tell your friend to get on here himself and use the search function (not trying to be a dick but how can he possibly have those mods and not even be willing to come on here and find out for himself?)
Old Nov 7, 2007, 04:23 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by nx302stang
My friends evo 8 it throwing codes out. So it won't pass emissions testing in Oregon. It's Throwing the following codes:

And my mods are: ETS 57 trim, LICP, UICP, MBC, TBE, DOWNPIPE, PLX Wideband, HKS Intake, 720 cc Injectors, and custom re-flash.
P0172 is Most likely o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 that may be dying ..OR... fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose fell off,
p0243 is most likely solenoid is unplugged electronicly or he does not have any flash and has hit Boost/Fuel cut from overboosting
p0300 could be related to p0172 and be a by-product of running so rich.
The problem with diagnosing cars over the net via their "friends" is we have no info on this car and you may not have enough info on your friends car to be of any use to anyone to diag.
Have your "friend" post all his mod's and everything done and we (members of evom) can be of a bit more help.
Your car will never go through emmissions test and pass if your check engine light is on or if codes have been recently cleared and readiness tests have not run and passed....
Old Nov 7, 2007, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

still running a cat on the car? How about cams? If he doesn't want to put it back to some resemblence to stock (the turbo should be able to stay on, but stock cams and stock cat probably will be a must), he's SOL. Need to find a "tuner friendly" inspection station if you catch my drift.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by turboDan
P0172 is Most likely o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 that may be dying ..OR... fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose fell off,
p0243 is most likely solenoid is unplugged electronicly or he does not have any flash and has hit Boost/Fuel cut from overboosting
p0300 could be related to p0172 and be a by-product of running so rich.
The problem with diagnosing cars over the net via their "friends" is we have no info on this car and you may not have enough info on your friends car to be of any use to anyone to diag.
Have your "friend" post all his mod's and everything done and we (members of evom) can be of a bit more help.
Your car will never go through emmissions test and pass if your check engine light is on or if codes have been recently cleared and readiness tests have not run and passed....
My buddy is overseas so I'm taking care of his car for now. The tags expire next month. And I know all the mods to the car since I used to own the car and did most of the mods to it. Thanks for the help. Any other feedback or help will be appreciated!
Old Nov 7, 2007, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When was the last time you changed your plugs?
Old Nov 7, 2007, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by ray3328
When was the last time you changed your plugs?
Plugs were changed about 5000 miles ago. Gapped right.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

I brought mines to a Sean Ivey he got mines to pass inspection.
I also had a bunch of codes too. Maybe a tuner around your way can help.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

wait let me get this stright, he knew he had a SES light and he decided to try and get his car inspected anyways? um.....
Old Nov 8, 2007, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
still running a cat on the car? How about cams? If he doesn't want to put it back to some resemblence to stock (the turbo should be able to stay on, but stock cams and stock cat probably will be a must), he's SOL. Need to find a "tuner friendly" inspection station if you catch my drift.
The car has not Cats. And there is no such thing as a tuner friendly inspection station. (as far as I know) We have to go thru DEQ which is a governmental entity.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
wait let me get this stright, he knew he had a SES light and he decided to try and get his car inspected anyways? um.....
The SES light didn't turn on until the smog inspector plugged the car into the DEQ computer. And i've driven the car 50 miles, unplugged the battery and connected it again. Drove another 50 miles and it turned on after warm-up.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 09:39 AM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
yeah the ses codes can be there before the light turns on. Is there any good tuner around your area that you can take the car to? It may be some hose/electrical connection are unplugged from the car. Do a good check around the engine compartment.

Check for unusal unplugged hose behind the intake manifold.
Check for electronic connection that may get unplugged below the intake box.

I got similar codes before and it was due to thing got unplugged for some reason.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nx302stang

And my mods are: ETS 57 trim, LICP, UICP, MBC, TBE, DOWNPIPE, PLX Wideband, HKS Intake, 720 cc Injectors, 255 lph fuel pump, and custom re-flash.
172 is either o2 sensor gone bad or ****ty tune/ injector scaling. Either way trims are maxed out negative hence the reason for the code

0243 is probably because the factory boost solenoid is not plugged in

0300 lots of reasons from tuning to real missfire to engine noise. That is going to be the hardest one to deal with.

Best bet is to register in a county that does not have emissions and let you buddy sort it out when he gets back.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by G20
yeah the ses codes can be there before the light turns on. Is there any good tuner around your area that you can take the car to? It may be some hose/electrical connection are unplugged from the car. Do a good check around the engine compartment.

Check for unusal unplugged hose behind the intake manifold.
Check for electronic connection that may get unplugged below the intake box.

I got similar codes before and it was due to thing got unplugged for some reason.
I checked all connections. Everything is hooked up.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 11:52 AM

I cleared the ECU, and all the CEL codes are gone, except the P0300 misfire code. Arghh this is starting to frustrate me!

Quick Reply: Evo 8 won't pass Emissions/smog test.