Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Idle Fix

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2007, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bnice so say if my idle stepper motor is on top would that mean i have less likely a chance of melting it ?
Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo8Emperor
Bnice so say if my idle stepper motor is on top would that mean i have less likely a chance of melting it ?

exactly , the meth will not sit/puddle up like it would sitting @ the bottom.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Oh cool. BBK TB the adapter plate goes on top so i should be good to go. Thanks for the info.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
There are two different style stepper motors for the EVO. One used on the EVO8's and then one used on the EVO9's. The ends are different. Since you melted one I am going to assume it was the one with the plastic end.

The easiest and smartest fix is to find the earlier model stepper motor which has a steel tip on it and put that in the car. Eliminating the stepper motor function is not a smart thing to do.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8Emperor
Oh cool. BBK TB the adapter plate goes on top so i should be good to go. Thanks for the info.
thats how my SRT-4 was and I ran a dual nozzles on a hahn 20g. m12 and m5 sooo yeah thats alot of meth.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
There are two different style stepper motors for the EVO. One used on the EVO8's and then one used on the EVO9's. The ends are different. Since you melted one I am going to assume it was the one with the plastic end.

The easiest and smartest fix is to find the earlier model stepper motor which has a steel tip on it and put that in the car. Eliminating the stepper motor function is not a smart thing to do.
didnt know that, I even search and ask around about a steel one and came up empty. wish I would have known that then i would of bought a 9 one when I bought my other one.

would you care to explain why it isnt smart?

I understand the IACV job, the only problem I have is cold start thats it. even with the ac, fans etc (i know the iacv step the idle up) the car doesnt fall on its face. I have cams as well. my idle is set around 1000 and tps is still 0.

why wasnt this posted, this problem has been around as far as I search for couple years. (sorry furstration)

David do you know the model # off top of your head of the steel one. That way we can have this info for others that encounter this problem. As you can see in my thread I never knew there was a difference. I assume they used the same ones and since I search this issue really detail.

If my post comes off angry, my bad. Just I have been dealing with this problem for months.

Last edited by bnice01; Nov 20, 2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

I don't have a part number, I'd suggest finding one off a 2003, there is a noticeable difference in the looks of the ends, it is obvious when you see it.

Getting rid of the idle air control motor just gets rid of some of the good idle control,that's all.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Oh sick i have an 03 so i guess i should have any extra precaution along with mounting it up top instead of below the TB. Good to know. Ill have to check at home and see if mine is indeed metal at the end.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 11:56 AM

any issues still? or is it all resolved?
Old Nov 20, 2007, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I don't have a part number, I'd suggest finding one off a 2003, there is a noticeable difference in the looks of the ends, it is obvious when you see it.

Getting rid of the idle air control motor just gets rid of some of the good idle control,that's all.

you sure because I have an 03 and my last IACV was an 03 as well. both burnt to a crisp

yeah I know, i guess was just giving ya a hard time
Old Nov 20, 2007, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

I have not seen a failure in an IAC on any car but EVO9's with the plastic model.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 04 melted the surrounding plastic near the inner metal pin.

bnice, one more thing to check, what was also melted on mine was this small white plastic pendlin flapper down stream the stepper. It might be melted too , it has two small screws and is spring loaded so pay attention how you got it out. It also has two plastic bearings which may be melted.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Had the same problem with the idle for 6 months.

1. I thought it was my BOV leaking.
2. Broken MAF
3. Broken UTEC, giving bad signals to the ECU

After researching about the idle steper motor, I knew that was the problem. I learned that by having methanol injection the idle steper motor would corrode and melt inside.

Symptoms of broken idle stepper motor.

1. Cold Start issues, car would stall right away when starting the engine cold.
2. Car would run in limp mode.
3. Running very rich, and getting poor gas mileage.

Problem was solved when I unpluged the Idle steper motor.

1. No more stalling
2. Perfect Idle - almost a year now running without the idle steper motor.

The downside of pulling the idle steper plug is when you cold start the car. You have to give is some gas when you start it cold otherwise it will stall.

Once the car is in operating temperature the idle is perfect at 950rpms.

That is because of the mechanical idle system, you have to heat it up in order for it to expand and get that perfect idle when you adjust it at the top of the TB.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
terrible pictures. My throttle body is dirty like that
Old Dec 10, 2010, 06:40 PM

Melted two 03 iacv

Quick Reply: Idle Fix