Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

need help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2007, 07:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
need help!!!!!

What should I do if a valve keeper fell into the oil gallery while installing retainers and springs. Will it hurt anything if I don't retreave it from the oil pan. I'm already done with the install. Please, any help will be great.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by REDEVO1113
What should I do if a valve keeper fell into the oil gallery while installing retainers and springs. Will it hurt anything if I don't retreave it from the oil pan. I'm already done with the install. Please, any help will be great.
oooooooo...not sure if that goes down to the oil pan but then again, take a look at a service manual (ebay for 4 bucks) if it did go down to the oil pan, retreive it! u don't want that floating around when the crank is turning at 7000 rpms. doesn't hurt to look and see. only takes a few mintutes to take off the oil pan. only thing is you gotta use gasket maker for that pan..no gasket was ever made by mitsu for it.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

first question, how can you be done with the install, assuming you are missing a keeper?

Secondly, at a minimum, get one of thoe telescoping magnets and try to run it around the bottom of the oil pan to pick it up. Yeah, you may need to bend it a bit to be able to run the bottom of the pan, but $3 tool is expendable at this stage of the game. If that doesn't work. Start it, idle it for a minute or two, drain the oil and if it doesn't come out, try the magnet again.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 07:58 PM

I had extra keepers!!!!
Old Nov 7, 2007, 08:00 PM

were can I buy a telescoping magnet, and how much are they. Also is there alot involved if I do have to drop the oil pan.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by REDEVO1113
were can I buy a telescoping magnet, and how much are they. Also is there alot involved if I do have to drop the oil pan.
go to your local autozone, pepboys, or whatever discount auto parts store you have in the area. They usually keep this type stuff at the counter, for impulse buys, like bubble gum and cheap spark plug gappers. They're cheap, like $3 or so.