Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Gauge Dilemma, dont know what to buy....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2007, 05:50 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts
Gauge Dilemma, dont know what to buy....

So I am thinking of replacing the A-Pillar on my Evo with one of those triple gauge pods. They hold 52mm gauges. I was also thinking of going with the double pod that replaces the trim on the top of the steering column. I definately want a shift light so I dont have to look so carefully at the tach. I am thinking of going with this one from autometer.

As far as the other spots (I would have a total of 5) I'm not sure what to go with. The autometer tach/shift light is expensive. They sell them on ebay for about 170$ including shipping. I was looking at these "glow shift" brand gauges. Does anybody know if these are any good? I was thinking:

Shift light & Oil Pressure for the steering wheel pod. (this takes up 2 spots)
Possibly a Boost Gauge, A/F ratio, Fuel Pressure Gauge for the A-Pillar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-07...spagenameZWDVW

Here is the auction where you can see the stuff I"m looking at..

Feedback is appreciated. - Also installation tips are nice if anyone has any for me...
Old Nov 8, 2007, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That gauge looks a little tacky to me, perhaps it's just a bad picture. If it's just a shift light that you're looking for, why don't you just purchase a shift light and mount it somewhere in your field of view?
Old Nov 8, 2007, 06:57 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Having a gauge "mounted" anywhere will look much worse than this one. I dont want anything attached with brackets. I have seen this one in a flash demo somewhere and It only looks bright like that when it is lit up. It is dark when you are below your shift point.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Look for the raptor shift light. Pretty cheap and small and can be mounted anywhere. Personally, I think the triple a-pillar pod looks really bad and impedes your view way too much. I'd go with a dual steering column pod or center console pod.

http://www.raptorperformance.com/
Old Nov 8, 2007, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

I don't like the pillar pods, so I got the one that replaces the radio bezel. I really like the setup.

Old Nov 9, 2007, 08:09 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

I really like the idea of having the gauges on my A-Pillar and my steering column, my mind is made up on that. The problem of choice is what gauges do I get, and what brand do I buy. It's my fault maybe I wasnt clear on my confusion.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 08:15 AM

I would buy defi guages...the two guages that are a must imo is boost and egt the third one is debatable ie fuel press or oil press. I would also get an AEM wideband too while you are at it. OR you can always buy a zextronic
Old Nov 9, 2007, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

defi is a very good gauge i have 3 of them on my pillar the bf red ones...im getting a steering column gauge now for wideband and egt but im stuck on which egt to get also...will probably end up going with defi though
Old Nov 9, 2007, 08:41 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

have you guys ever heard of this "glow shift" brand. The link is up top in my original post.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by v8hater
I would buy defi guages...the two guages that are a must imo is boost and egt the third one is debatable ie fuel press or oil press. I would also get an AEM wideband too while you are at it. OR you can always buy a zextronic
Not quite...the 2 gauges that would be a must would be oil pessure and boost. When you start modding it and get it tuned, then get a wideband 02 sensor like AEM/Innovate. I'm assuming you like the look of the 3 pod A pillar and the steering column but I can almost guarentee you you will wish you went with something more subtle after the novelty of it "looking cool" wears off. I had the exact same setup at first.

I had autometer c2 gauges. Ricey as all hell but I liked the look at first. The 3 gauges reflect off the window at night and the 2 on the column block your fuel gauge and some of your tach and speedo. Its just not convenient at all. Eventually I got defi BFs(which I would not recommend because they're innacurate) and put 3 above the ac controls and 2 on the a pillar. Since they were black gauges they didn't reflect at all really and it was much more user friendly. I had 1 aem wideband on the column and it was a convenient set up. If I could do it all over again though, I'd go less gauges. You really don't need them all.

Your probably gonna do the 3 pod a pillar thing anyway so to answer your question...

Boost on column, Wideband 02 on column, oil pressure on pillar, oil temp on pillar, egt/fuel pressure(your choice) on pillar. Good luck
Old Nov 9, 2007, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jp7
have you guys ever heard of this "glow shift" brand. The link is up top in my original post.
haven't heard of em, but from the looks of it, they're designed with aesthetics in mind rather than accuracy, stick with autometer, defi, stewart warner for good quality.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Have you also looked at Prosport gauges? Here is a link:
http://www.ultimate-cc.com/web/ProsportGauges.php

As far as gauges I think you need boost gauge, wide band, oil pressure, and EGT.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Yea, prosports are what I am running and they have been great. I run them in white mode in the daytime and amber at night. I love em
Old Nov 11, 2007, 04:34 AM
Account Disabled

Yeah, I'd go with the Prosport Gauges !!!