Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Swapped 6 speed to 5 speed and having problems (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2007, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Swapped 6 speed to 5 speed and having problems (PICS)

Ok one week ago I got a freshly built 5 speed tranny and got a new clutch and flywheel put in. Tonight i was driving and did a 1st to 2nd gear pull. As i shifted into 2nd and floored it, the car was just bouncing off the rev limiter . So i see to make sure i was in gear and all the sudden 2nd and 4th gear dont work. Also possibly reverse but i didnt want to try that since i was moving foward I took my car to a shop to get all the work done and when i came to pick my car up they told me the shifter "linkage" was all bent up and they "fixed" it. Now since i got my car back it now has 800 miles well past the break in period. So i figured it was the shifter Cables....So i look under the hood and heres what i see.

So i look at a buddies evo and heres how his is..

Then later i realize how far back the shifter was after what happened.
Heres neutral.

Heres first.

Heres second.

I dont know what happened. maybe the shop that did this put the wrong shifter cable even i did supply the 5 speed conversion kit i bought from shepard racing.

Any and All help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

why would you even take the car in that condition?

I'm not trying to knock you, its not your fault if you didnt know better, but didnt you find it a little funny every time you shifted to 2nd and 4th your hand would end up in your drink lol

Hopefully the place you took it to back their work and wont hassle you.... There are many poeple that did the conversion so consider this a free bump!
Old Nov 8, 2007, 11:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SlowSportSedan
why would you even take the car in that condition?

I'm not trying to knock you, its not your fault if you didnt know better, but didnt you find it a little funny every time you shifted to 2nd and 4th your hand would end up in your drink lol

Hopefully the place you took it to back their work and wont hassle you.... There are many poeple that did the conversion so consider this a free bump!
I think you misread it. The shifter was like that AFTER i had the problem from not being able to go into 2nd or 4th. The shifter was fine BEFORE.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 11:54 PM

Try disconnecting the linkage from the transmission, putting the shifter in it's regular neutral position, and than take a look at the linkage and see how it relates to the transmission. Maybe on the six speed the linkage is connected further down, hence your having too much slack in the linkage. I might be sleepy, but its worth a shot.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by riceclown
Try disconnecting the linkage from the transmission, putting the shifter in it's regular neutral position, and than take a look at the linkage and see how it relates to the transmission. Maybe on the six speed the linkage is connected further down, hence your having too much slack in the linkage. I might be sleepy, but its worth a shot.
The car SHOULDNT have the six speed linkage. It should have the 5 speed cables since thats what i supplied to the shop i took it to.

Does anyone think they might have just used the six speed cables and that might be the problem why it is the way it is??
Old Nov 9, 2007, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

anyone???
Old Nov 9, 2007, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

message ttp or warrtalon both of them have done the conversion.... i know there are others and they need to get the sand out of the vaginas, but they should both know
Old Nov 9, 2007, 08:32 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Nov 21, 2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
PM ASE_Tech@TTP our driveline tech.
Ok cool thanks for the help!

BTW sometimes the shifter goes back to normal and then comes back to being very wierd which would be, 2nd 4th and reverse all dont work and seem to be very "mushy" and the shifter comes back WAYYYY too far. I went to the shop to see what was wrong with it and they just told me it was the bracket that connects to the tranny and shifter cables that shifts the tranny. But the bracket seems fine.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Does the shop know what they're doing? They might have flipped the cable around, the top one might supposed to be where the bottom one is and viceversa?

Last edited by timmiii; Nov 9, 2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 12:20 AM
Account Disabled

They seem to have used the five speed cables by looking at the pics you posted.They didnt put them in the wrong place either. I WOULD START BY looking at the outside linkage while someone moves it from gear to gear as in 1st to 2nd to4th etc. make sure both cables move freely.If not then look at the linkage inside the car. If they do move properly then look at the routing of the linkage cable's.Make sure that all the shift linkage is tightly mount to every thing.Make sure the linkage inside the car is clipped into the correct spot and onto the shifter inside the car. just a start.

Originally Posted by SlowSportSedan
message ttp or warrtalon both of them have done the conversion.... i know there are others and they need to get the sand out of the vaginas, but they should both know
lol. sorry man i have been busy these past couple of days not having time to help as much as i would like to.As for sand in vagina that sounds painful lol.

Last edited by Luis@TTP; Nov 10, 2007 at 12:23 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ASE_Tech@TTP
They seem to have used the five speed cables by looking at the pics you posted.They didnt put them in the wrong place either. I WOULD START BY looking at the outside linkage while someone moves it from gear to gear as in 1st to 2nd to4th etc. make sure both cables move freely.If not then look at the linkage inside the car. If they do move properly then look at the routing of the linkage cable's.Make sure that all the shift linkage is tightly mount to every thing.Make sure the linkage inside the car is clipped into the correct spot and onto the shifter inside the car. just a start.

lol. sorry man i have been busy these past couple of days not having time to help as much as i would like to.As for sand in vagina that sounds painful lol.
Alright cool ill do that today.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 07:06 AM
Account Disabled

wow someone F'd up
Old Nov 10, 2007, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Shacochis06
wow someone F'd up
It wasnt me! But the worst thing about it is that I have to take care of this. The shop really isnt even helping me out even it should be their problem.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Why would you switch to a 5 speed when you had that nice 6 speed?

At any rate, take your car to another shop with a new 5 speed linkage & cables. Looks like the original shop doesn't know what they're doing.

Quick Reply: Swapped 6 speed to 5 speed and having problems (PICS)