Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

So whats the trick? Oil pump sproket bolt w/race balance shaft.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2007, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by crcain
I'm curious why are you guys so insistent on loctite on the oil pump sprocket? What would happen if the oil pump sprocket retaining nut came loose?

And let me just clearly ask again, is the OP's question in this thread how to tighten the nut on the oil pump sprocket? And was the answer given to put the balance shaft in a vice... then that oil pump gear won't spin, which causes the gear with the shaft which connects to the oil pump sprocket not to spin. Therefore you can torque down the oil pump sprocket.

In the case of the stubby, you can do the same thing and put the stub in a vice.
Those options will work with the front cover OFF the car; the OP had installed his front cover and was looking for options to torque to spec without access to the rear of the oil pump...
Old Nov 11, 2007, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep understood. I think I was trying to clarify that the technique is to... by binding one gear... you bind the other gear... which allows the tightening.

Also why all the concern over loctite? Seems to me with the retaining nut completely off that sprocket would probably stay on.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 06:19 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The concerns are that if the nut did fall off and lets just say that the sprocket did stay on where do you think that the nut is going to go? It is not a good idea to have an object that large just "floating" around inside the t-belt cover as it will find a way to ruin your day.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 06:27 AM

IIRC, if the oil pan is off you can get an open end wrench on the back of the shaft
Old Nov 11, 2007, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

That makes sense guys was not trying to be argumentative. Just wanting to double check I understand the reasons behind things.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Put the timing belt on, let it tension and hit it with an impact gun? Just an Idea.

Blake
Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Impact guns are not what you should use on lug nuts, much less on a torque to spec fastener like your oil pump
Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:59 AM
Account Disabled

FWIW,I have actually seen people use a 3/8 drive impact gun on an oil pump sprocket retaining nut and lets just say that a new oil pump was needed when done as the nut and sprocket came off in 1 piece as the threaded portion of oil pump was still in nut,broken clean off of oil pump
Old Nov 11, 2007, 09:04 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by cssaddictm4
Put the timing belt on, let it tension and hit it with an impact gun? Just an Idea.

Blake
Absolutely not a good idea.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 09:41 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by crcain

Also why all the concern over loctite? Seems to me with the retaining nut completely off that sprocket would probably stay on.
If the nut comes off you'll:

1. Loose oil pressure when the drive gear disengages on from the oil pump shaft.
2. Your timing belt will loose all tension and pistons will hit valves.

You'd probably scrap the head for sure if that gear came off and if its really not your day you'll spin some bearings, hurt your turbo, and more when you loose oil pressure.

Impact guns are good for cracking your oil pump gears. If you want to do that go for it.

Dido on tightening up the gear with the timing belt on.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Not like a big impact, a small 3/8s on low torque, never had a problem with that.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 04:52 PM
DTM
Account Disabled

Not like a big impact, a small 3/8s on low torque, never had a problem with that.
It doesn't matter what size it is. The key word is "impact"
Old Nov 11, 2007, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Impacts are for REMOVING bolts and nuts. Final torquing should be done manually and preferably with a torque wrench. I absolutely hate working on cars where the last "mechanic" decided to use an impact to torque down bolts/nuts.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 06:57 PM
Account Disabled

Do whatever works for you. I don't care, its not my car.

Think about what an impact gun does and at the same time think about what this does to the oil pump gear teeth. If your fine with that great. I am not fine with that. Specifically I am not fine with stress fractures induced by sharp blows to the thrust surfaces of the gear teeth. It is, after all, a hardened gear we are talking about.

Furthermore I've tried to *remove* said pulley because I didn't care about it as I was replacing the oil pump anyways. It was impossible to remove and would have cost me my fingers had I held onto it with any amount of brutality. Even if using your trusty impact (which says a lot about how well put together your cars are) you need to secure the balance shaft in a vice or with vice grips at a minimum (and the grips are a fairly hack way of doing it IMO).

EDIT:

Welcome diambo. I remember you from the DSM boards from the day. Say at least 5 years ago?
Old Nov 12, 2007, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

WOW alot of people have some strong opinions about what an impact gun can and cannot be used for. In the 17 yrs of being a mechanic I have broken more bolts removing them with air tools then installing with air tools alot has to do with experiance and knowledge of when to stop. For instance never use the impact gun as a final torque and never tighten any low torque yielding bolt all the way with the impact gun. I have even seen in the pits at the track fellow racers installing connecting rod bolts with small impact guns just to get their cars back together to get to the next round of racing and you guys cannot tell me that the pro gt and outlaw guys have no clue as to what they are doing, they just know their limits on to what they can and cannot do, not saying I have ever done such a thing. A low torque yielding thread like the oil pump shaft may brake just by tightening by hand if not careful.

Quick Reply: So whats the trick? Oil pump sproket bolt w/race balance shaft.