Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

So whats the trick? Oil pump sproket bolt w/race balance shaft.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2007, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The suggestion in this thread to use an impact gun was focused on how to get a bolt to torque without being able to reach the backside easily. Impact guns can sometimes tighten bolts in these situations (think tierods that are spinning when you try to get them to start up the taper), but there's a huge difference between high strength suspension components and oil pumps.

There's no reason not to simply do it right. Take off the front cover, carefully immobilize the rear of the gear shaft, properly torque to specifications, put it back together. I probably don't need to remind you that (1) you should relieve the gear teeth alittle and make sure that there are no factory burrs of any kind on the back flat side of the gear before installation (2) you install the gears matching the dots, if they're on the gears, (3) you use lots of high quality assembly lube on the gears and shafts and (4) you prime the pump before you put on the timing belt and assemble it.

If you're interested in making sure you don't have high oil pressure issues, you also relieve the pressure relief valve on the back of the filter housing while you're doing this job.

Enough said.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had this issue once. I re-installed the old timing belt and properly tensioned it. The belt tension was enough to reach the specified torque (with a torque wrench) and it didn't jump teeth. Then I installed the new belt. I didn't use the new belt to avoid damaging it.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_VR4
If you're interested in making sure you don't have high oil pressure issues, you also relieve the pressure relief valve on the back of the filter housing while you're doing this job.

Enough said.
Do you want to explain this a bit, along with positive and negative affects. I have never done this with one so school us please.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

bringing this one back up top. Even if you can get the balance shaft in a vice, the gears in the oil pump will still take the load when you tighten the oil pump gear nut, right? Is this ok? Or would it be better to rig up some sort of tool using the old timing belt and a strap wrench of sorts, so that the gears on the inside of the pump don't see the load when your torquing the nut down? If the gears can take 40 ft.lbs. of force, it's no biggy, but does anyone know for sure?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
bringing this one back up top. Even if you can get the balance shaft in a vice, the gears in the oil pump will still take the load when you tighten the oil pump gear nut, right? Is this ok? Or would it be better to rig up some sort of tool using the old timing belt and a strap wrench of sorts, so that the gears on the inside of the pump don't see the load when your torquing the nut down? If the gears can take 40 ft.lbs. of force, it's no biggy, but does anyone know for sure?
I don't think they can, which is why I also made a specialty tool to get the job done correctly.