Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shifter issue. IX MR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2007, 06:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 208 Likes on 123 Posts
Shifter issue. IX MR

Hey all,

Just wanted to see if I could help a friend out.

When the car is parked (running or not), the stock shifter seems like there's something wrong. When you put the shifter in 1st or 2nd gear, it's fine, as well as 5th and 6th. But for some reason when you try and shift it into the 3rd or 4th gears, it takes alot more effort to push it in. It almost feels sort of like a rubbery type feeling. Nothing has been modified interms of the tranny or shifter bushings. Any explanation of what this could be? This happened completely out of nowhere today btw.

Thanks all!
Old Nov 11, 2007, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket clutch installed?
Old Nov 11, 2007, 07:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Nope, no transmission mods at all.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Thats normal, I had that on mine until I changed out all the shifter bushings. The shifter base and the underhood bushings. Feels much better now, it feels tight when getting into the gates.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My friends MR had problems like that too. I would start with the little things first like a fluid change, bushings, and maybe a clutch pedal adjustment. Go from their. Also how many miles does he have?
Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

check your bushings then your shifter cables!!
Old Nov 11, 2007, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Mainly bushings will the trick. You should also change the tranny fluid every 15k miles if you drive sprited-ly, but if you take it to the track then do it every 10 to 13k miles. Also make sure to warm the tranny up before you do a lot sprited pulls or such.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 05:27 AM
EvoM Guru

That doesnt make sense. Why would it do it in only the 3rd and 4th gears though. It's NOT normal, it never did that before until yesterday...
Old Nov 12, 2007, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Your clutch started to wear down? You can try adjusting that and see what happens.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Stop being stubborn and try the things people are telling you. We have heard these things plenty of times before. Stop thinking your buddies car is out of the ordinary. Do what we tell you and then if that doesn't work then complain some more.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 03:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RevMoto
Stop being stubborn and try the things people are telling you. We have heard these things plenty of times before. Stop thinking your buddies car is out of the ordinary. Do what we tell you and then if that doesn't work then complain some more.
Whats with the attitude man? How am I being stubborn with what I said. Your logic makes no sense. If it's only happening in 3-4 gears, why in the hell would it be the fluid. You got to be kidding me...

I questioned why it would be the fluid or even a clutch adjustment is all.

Your attitude doesn't help things

Thanks to everyone else though, he's taking it to a local shop tommorrow.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Fluid changes smoothens up shifts. You barely give any description. Second stop thinking you are the first person with this problem. You haven't even done anything to the car in order to try and fix it but doubt people that have said it more then twice from several people. I could just go and tell you to use the search button. Start with the basics. It is very simple. If your going to be a newb and not listen to myself and the other people that also posted then the search button is where you should be looking. That or take your car to the dealer or the shop since you have no idea what you are doing.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 03:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by RevMoto
Fluid changes smoothens up shifts. You barely give any description. Second stop thinking you are the first person with this problem. You haven't even done anything to the car in order to try and fix it but doubt people that have said it more then twice from several people. I could just go and tell you to use the search button. Start with the basics. It is very simple. If your going to be a newb and not listen to myself and the other people that also posted then the search button is where you should be looking. That or take your car to the dealer or the shop since you have no idea what you are doing.
You just have all the answers don't ya... You're just like most of the people I deal with each and every day...but I won't get into that!

It's not my car there, newb. And everything you suggested is incorrect btw. It's something internal in the tranny.

Later
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Apparently you do not know how to read. I believe I said start with the little things first in order to fix it. You sir are like all the ignorant jackass's that I have to deal with.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ill_take_one
If it's only happening in 3-4 gears, why in the hell would it be the fluid. You got to be kidding me...

believe it or not, it could be the fluid. good luck with that.

Quick Reply: Shifter issue. IX MR