Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New record for pump gas, set with the HTA35r

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
Dave,

First off thanks for the in-depth explanation you posted..........as i know you do not have to share your hard learned information with the rest of us

Very interesting to hear what you have to say in regards to head porting and cam selection.

FWIW - I too disagree w/ the statement about the Mustang vs DynoDynamic dynos as we have had cars that had testing done on our Mustang and another shops DynoDynamic and ours was about 25-30 hp less.

My ? is how does all of this change if any when speaking in terms of an Evo9 w/ Mivec

Have you guys any experience w/ building a car w/ similar mods BUT w/o porting the head........as it seems to me that this is where a lot of power is made as you stated.

I'm currently waiting to install the 2nd fp and wil try and run the boost up as high as possible but just wondering if we'll hit a wall in terms of hp w/o the head being ported.
With some basic up grades and just bowls cleaned up we made 924whp with a 42r. Jake Montgomery runs 159mph at 9.1 et with a unported head on his dsm. I would venture to say a ported head if done right is good for 20-40 whp.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great job Buschur Racing!
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ifarted2
With some basic up grades and just bowls cleaned up we made 924whp with a 42r. Jake Montgomery runs 159mph at 9.1 et with a unported head on his dsm. I would venture to say a ported head if done right is good for 20-40 whp.
I would say its not only about peak HP but also Tq and the entire powerband.. I have seen different port jobs change the way the tq curve carries rather than drop off..
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

nice results, off topic when are you guys running the holiday specials?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The ports on 1G DSM heads are larger than the ports in an EVO head, and even when both are ported, the 1G still flows a little higher. Here's a comparison from Fox Lake, who builds CNC'd cylinder heads that John Shepherd uses: http://www.foxlakeracing.com/shep.php

Compared to stock, a well ported cylinder head will pick up 50-65 CFM and still have good port velocity.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by USP Motorsports
I would say its not only about peak HP but also Tq and the entire powerband.. I have seen different port jobs change the way the tq curve carries rather than drop off..
I agree
Old Nov 14, 2007, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

This is a dyno chart of Trevor's Green on E85 vs the car in this thread with the HTA35r on C16.

After going through the dyno to find the comparison I realized WOT wanted pump gas. This will give you an idea though.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

I have flow tested a lot of cylinder heads here from other companies. I have kept notes from all of them that we have tested and the flow charts.

There are many companies making BS claims as to high their heads flow and other companies that are porting them and the heads loose flow everywhere but up and over .400 lift, which is retarded as there aren't many cams that go much over .400 lift in the first place. Then these companies advertise they gained XX% on their port work, problem is that gain is at .500 lift and it is useless.

We did back to back testing from non ported to ported heads. When we did it we did it on small turbos, maybe stock actually, been 3 years and I don't remember. I say if you are sticking with the stock turbo or probably even the Green, porting of the head is going to gain you very little in power.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ifarted2
I will say as already said that 1G heads have larger intake ports then 2gs and Evos. I have a mildly ported head from a local machine shop that seems very knowledgable. He (the owner) said that 1g heads intake ports should only be deburred/smoothed. All the porting should be focused in the bowls and exhaust side. If you get aggressive with the intake side you actually lose power execpt peak HP. He also noted 2gs and EVO heads take well to only mild porting on the intake side.

I would like to ask Dave B If what I read in Turbo is true about your guys stage 3 head that uses .5mm oversize valves? it seems most shops use 1mm over. Is this to avoid peaky power and obtain a good curve while improving flow or is this a typo? Thanks!

I also remember years and years ago the Extremes old race/ported heads only used oversive valves on the exhaust side regardless if a 1g or 2g and there were no Evos.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
does anyone have thoughts on the top mounted turbo kits, is the manifold worth the money or should i stick to the basic ram horn set up? nice work david, great numbers and knowledge as always
Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whitey4d
I will say as already said that 1G heads have larger intake ports then 2gs and Evos. I have a mildly ported head from a local machine shop that seems very knowledgable. He (the owner) said that 1g heads intake ports should only be deburred/smoothed. All the porting should be focused in the bowls and exhaust side. If you get aggressive with the intake side you actually lose power execpt peak HP. He also noted 2gs and EVO heads take well to only mild porting on the intake side.

I would like to ask Dave B If what I read in Turbo is true about your guys stage 3 head that uses .5mm oversize valves? it seems most shops use 1mm over. Is this to avoid peaky power and obtain a good curve while improving flow or is this a typo? Thanks!

I also remember years and years ago the Extremes old race/ported heads only used oversive valves on the exhaust side regardless if a 1g or 2g and there were no Evos.
On the 1014whp dyno pull our intake was never touched just some mild porting and plus 1 under cut valves. I do agree with David said in his last post
Old Nov 14, 2007, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

It is not a typo, .5mm oversized valves is what we GENERALLY use.

Yes, I have a thought on top mounted turbo kits.................do you see one of them on any of the cars setting records? Didn't think so
Old Nov 14, 2007, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Im sorry I was trying to point you out with what you said. I just used your quote because the unported DSM head phrase. I do agree with what you said. I just dont think most Evo owners know the difference in size from a 1g port to an Evo port. Extremely different. I have seen some flow bench numbers that say that 1g head floe better then 2gs stock by a good amount. then take that same head and having it ported with stock size valves then outperform the 1g head.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Get the air in and back out as easily as possible. I'd venture to guess I could run a GT42R on this same car at 40 psi of boost on 93 octane without a problem. The reason is the compressor wheel is efficient, keeps the charge air temps cool and the exhaust wheel keeps back pressure down which keeps the cylinders free of the old backed up exhaust from the last event.

Dave I'm going to hold you to this comment next year!LOL
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

knightracer, I'm looking forward to it!

Quick Reply: New record for pump gas, set with the HTA35r