Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help with emissions test in Denver

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2008, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wished you would have let one of us know ahead of time. We could have met up with you and done a look over for you to ensure you were getting a good car.

Good luck and pre-welcome to the Evo camp!! You're on the right track just for that...

Cheers-
Erich
Old Jan 17, 2008, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by batmoEVO
I just don't want to let some punk drive my car. I have been trying to figure a way around it, but can't so far. I did try the RapidScreen thing (white vans by on-ramps). I went by it on six different occassions, but I didn't pass for some reason, and they wont tell you why you didn't pass, so now I have to go let some punk drive my car....

What do people with Ferrari's do? They don't go where we go.

By the way - it's 4 years exemption for a new car.
Get your car tuned with the new patched rom that has Valet mode, that's what I did and the guy came back a little sad.. (had him limited to 3000rpms).
Old Jan 17, 2008, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by afmafia
i thought if your car was obd2 all they did at testing was plug a computer to the port?

fp green forsale brand new
bbr mr wheels forsale
How much you want for that green?
Old Jan 28, 2008, 05:26 PM

So just got an emissions test done today. It turns out that their dyno equipment is not compatible with our cars (don't really know why), so all they did was let it idle for a few seconds and that's it!!! They didn't even plug in the OBDII cable!! Passed w/flying colors.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

congrats
Old Jan 29, 2008, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

I got a registration renewal in the mail telling me to get mine tested b4 i renewed registration. Long story short took off my ams tbe, got on the ole stocker...was a pain in the ***. Got it tested, the kid driving my car on the dyno decided to punch it and almost lost control of the car on the dyno. Paid my 25 bucks, went to register and they told me i actually didnt need to have it done, and it was an error in their system.... So now im waiting for a warmer night to throw my ams back on, im out 25 bucks and some DB kid got the ride of his life in my evo.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 07:48 AM

That's why I also turned my boost down to the minimum 11 psi before hitting the emissions place. All I did was put the cat back in (left the aftermarket exhaust in the car), turn down boost, and put the OEM ROM image back in.

Jeff1121, don't you have to go to an EviroTest facility as well in Littleton? From what they told me yesterday, none of the EnviroTest facilities should be compatible with our vehicles. He said that our cars were a safety concern with the equipment they had. Maybe that's why numb-nuts almost lost control of your car...

By the way, all new cars are exempt from emissions for 4 years in CO.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

It did just fine when he wasnt mashing the gas, but it was an awd dynometer so there really was no issue at all. I dont know why they would have told you that... Perhaps the thought you car wasnt compatible because he know u were driving a barely legal road rocket??

That's what i thought too about the new cars being expempt, but i asked a friend who works for the local govt. bout new emission laws that are supposedly coming out, and didnt think to check. Oh well.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Got to light off the cat earlier or else the gas won't oxidize, that is rather in depth involving ign and cam timing. What I do know is the cat does not work lean or rich of stoich
Old Feb 3, 2008, 01:13 AM
Evolving Member

im thinkin about goin e85, just so next time i have emissions i wont have to worry about it. no hassle changing exhausts, cams etc.. just maybe turn down the boost.

does anyone know if emissiosn with e85 in boost is worse?

where did you batmoevo, that they told you the evo wasnt compatible?
Old Feb 4, 2008, 12:51 PM

I went to the Broomfield EnviroTest facility.

From what I have read, E85 has less potential energy per unit volume than gasoline, has an octane rating at or above 100, and burns much cleaner. It seems to me that you could dump in E85 without modification and have a better chance of passing emissions. The higher octane means that at a given AFR, E85 should be safer than gasoline, but make less power. When trying to get an emissions, this is perfect!!!

Don't know if you would pass w/o a catalytic converter, but that would be an interesting test.

Let me know if you find out anything more!
Old Feb 4, 2008, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff1121
i just registered in Littleton and they didnt require it. I bought my first evo in foco and they never required it either...
Jeff your car is exempt unitl you sell it to someone else. new cars have exemption sitckers, but Littleton most certainly requires emissions.

If hes moving to foco and registering it here, dont bother even wasting time geting emissions done. Its a waste of your money.

But if you want to pass emissions, more valve overlap is best, but make sure you dont **** anything up. also, you dont need your stock exhaust on, thats not going to change anything. putting the stock cat back in would help. additives help. run a small amount of e85 or 85 octane if you cant find e85. just a small amount, like 2 gallons for a tank. then, right before you go in, drive the **** out of the car, get it HOT. you will pass no problem.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by batmoEVO
I went to the Broomfield EnviroTest facility.

From what I have read, E85 has less potential energy per unit volume than gasoline, has an octane rating at or above 100, and burns much cleaner. It seems to me that you could dump in E85 without modification and have a better chance of passing emissions. The higher octane means that at a given AFR, E85 should be safer than gasoline, but make less power. When trying to get an emissions, this is perfect!!!

Don't know if you would pass w/o a catalytic converter, but that would be an interesting test.

Let me know if you find out anything more!
Your assumption is technically wrong. the higher "octane" basically-in the simplest statement possible, means it burns slower. slower burning = higher emissions. you would need to be tuned for e85 to pass with a tank of e85.

throwing a bit of e85 or low octane gasoline into the tank will lean out the car a tad, and thats why it would help him pass.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Do you need to have your stock wheels on to do an emission test.

Reason I'm asking is because, I bought my car used with aftermarket rims, and although I won't have to have my emissions done for another year or so, I wanted to be prepared when that time comes around.

Thanx,
Old Feb 4, 2008, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

im planning on running e85 with an e85 tune as well..it should produce more power, and also cleaner. Theoretically

Quick Reply: Help with emissions test in Denver