Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help with emissions test in Denver

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the kid thats buying the car named Scott per chance?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by FatheroftheEVO
Your assumption is technically wrong. the higher "octane" basically-in the simplest statement possible, means it burns slower. slower burning = higher emissions. you would need to be tuned for e85 to pass with a tank of e85.

throwing a bit of e85 or low octane gasoline into the tank will lean out the car a tad, and thats why it would help him pass.
Could you explain why a slower burn will increase emissions? I don't see how it would change emissions unless the percentage of burned fuel is actually different between gasoline and E85. Plus, E85 does burn cleaner, so wouldn't it offset this difference anyhow?

Am I correct in assuming that we can SAFELY dump E85 into our tanks w/no tune. I'm not saying that this would be an ideal setup, I'm just wondering if it's possible. You would make less power, for sure, but it seems that the higher octane and E85's resistance to detonation would mean it would work. I guess this would also be contigent upon having a fuel delivery setup capable of reaching the current map's AFRs with E85.

Another general question is what would the ECU do with the sudden change in AFRs between the two fuels. Would it throw a CEL? Would it simply adjust the fuel trim, injector duty cycle?

This is a great discussion. Thanks!
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:37 PM
Former Sponsor

I've spent quite a bit of time tuning E85. I see no reason to add it to your car. If you add say 2 gallons, maybe it wont do anything, yes the ecu will still try and reach the targeted airflow, but when you reach a certain amount the ecu will not be able to acheive that airflow and you will run lean.

Without monitoring widebands, logging etc you would not know what it was doing until its too late.

DO NOT ADD E85 without proper steps.

PS More octane, gas burns slower, more hydrocarbons left in the exiting exhaust.