Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

noisy gear box??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2003, 04:49 PM
In Timeout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noisy gear box??

anybody else have a problem with noise comin from switchin gears.... lets say especially 1st to 2nd... here a click/clunk type sound... not 2 loud but still its a sound.. ive had this noise for a while.. its def not every time.... and no its not the sound of my synchros cuz i kno wat it sounds like... its more like the sound of a ****t up tranny sorta =X
Old Jul 15, 2003, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

yes its normal
Old Jul 15, 2003, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

It's an AWD car with straight cut gears and triple synchros in 1st and 2nd gears and an LSD...of course it's gonna make noise!
Old Jul 15, 2003, 11:29 PM
In Timeout

Originally posted by NOVA EVO
It's an AWD car with straight cut gears and triple synchros in 1st and 2nd gears and an LSD...of course it's gonna make noise!
yea but how come sometimes it doesnt..? does that mean when it doesnt make any noise im switchin the gears perfectly matching the synchros?
Old Jul 15, 2003, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

yeah mine does the smae thing

its almost like a grind

but 1st and 2nd are straight cut for durability so they wine
Old Jul 16, 2003, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

What I've noticed is that if I match the revs to the new gear (going up or down) the tranny is smooth. It just takes a touch of practice and requires blipping the gas on downshifts.

If I let the syncros do all the work, I need to give the tranny a couple of extra tenths when shifting, espically going into either first or second. I do hear the light clicks as things line up; and I'm sure if I hurried things I could get them to grind.

The tranny seems quick, but not as fast or as open to slamming gears as some I've driven.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 02:04 AM
In Timeout

erioshi i think you are lost...... how would u rev match before switchin gears... i mean u could SORT OF.... but that would mean u would have to always slam the gear in bcuz rev will overdrop if not and just let go of the clutch FAST as hell which isnt ehb est thing 2 do
Old Jul 16, 2003, 03:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ChillinEvoVIII
erioshi i think you are lost...... how would u rev match before switchin gears... i mean u could SORT OF.... but that would mean u would have to always slam the gear in bcuz rev will overdrop if not and just let go of the clutch FAST as hell which isnt ehb est thing 2 do
i think hes talking about rev matching on the downshifts. you have to blip the throttle right before you shift down, if that's not the way you're downshifting....take some time and learn how to rev match.

As for upshifts....yah that noise and feeling is totally normal.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 04:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah I get that clunk and just overall noisy operation when I can hear it with my windows open.. It is normal, most performance transmissions make weird noises and because of how the engine and trans are mounted, alot of that noise is transmitted into the car.. Don't sweat it. If you are concerned, you can have someone change the fluid in the tranny and look for metal particals..
Old Jul 16, 2003, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

I only seem to get it when the gearbox is cold and I shift bellow 3,000 rpm's on the 1-2 shift. I get the clunk about every morning pulling off from my driveway and putting through the neighborhood. Redline shockproof gearlube seemed to cut down on it a bit when cold and it's nice and smooth once it warms up.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 02:40 PM
In Timeout

ahh thanks for your input it puts some of my concerns at ease... as for blue rocket... i can downshift.... ahh yea... i can downshift.. probably even faster than you =P
Old Jul 17, 2003, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by ChillinEvoVIII
Not sure if this is what erioshi is talking about, but when upshifting you can rev-match. Not by blipping the throttle like when downshifting, but by waiting a fraction of a second in neutral before upshifting. If timed right, you don't even need the clutch: the gear will slide right in. Still, I second (third?, fourth?) the point that the noise is normal and not to be worried about.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 07:09 PM
In Timeout

ok coo jus checkin