Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Stage 2 Cerametallic Clutch Kit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2007, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exedy Stage 2 Cerametallic Clutch Kit

Maybe I can't drive - that's possible (if that's the case, I'm open to being taught). I have about 16K miles on my Evo IX and the clutch no longer grabs like it used to; my most recent launch smelled bad (i.e. the rancid, burning clutch smell) and I probably slipped it too much.

My car's stock and it's going to stay that way - I think we could best describe my driving style as aggressively abusive: lots of double-clutch downshifts to get into the right gear for turns (and I frequently misjudge the revs to match if the A/C is running) and at least one street launch a week. Yes, I know that's bad and it will shortlen the life of the clutch.

I had an ACT pressure plate fail on me and strand me at work (no fun) before, so even if they've improved, I'm not buying another ACT. I don't think I want to blow $1500+ on a clutch unless it's going to be the last clutch I ever buy - and that seems unlikely given my driving style.

Has anyone had experience with Exedy's Stage 2 Cerametallic (thick)? I take it that you can just replace the clutch disc and resurface the flywheel when it wears out, right?

What does the clutch disc by itself cost, for those of you who have?

And have you run the Stage 2 Cerametallic with their lightweight flywheel?

Thanks!

BoostLover99
Old Nov 16, 2007, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Hey I have an exedy cerametallic stage 2 thick and I love it. I have had it for about 15,000 miles now and have raced and dragged on it plenty of times and it still grabs hard and firm like it did new. Just buy the exedy stage 2 kit, that comes with the pressure plate, cerametallic disc, and the tob, and then just resurface your stock flywheel. Which is what I did, and I love it. You won't look back.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sekula
Hey I have an exedy cerametallic stage 2 thick and I love it. I have had it for about 15,000 miles now and have raced and dragged on it plenty of times and it still grabs hard and firm like it did new. Just buy the exedy stage 2 kit, that comes with the pressure plate, cerametallic disc, and the tob, and then just resurface your stock flywheel. Which is what I did, and I love it. You won't look back.
Thanks, man. I appreciate the feedback.

Any suggestions as to where to go get it?

Thanks again!

BoostLover99
Old Nov 16, 2007, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

I've spoken to someone that has on his Evo and he said that in street driving, it's sometimes hard to engage smoothly. He told me that he had to rev up the engine to at least 3k and then let the clutch out inorder to get the car to start smoothly.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clutch is junk I had it and could not stand it. I still think to this day that clutch and BGII f'ed up my original trans.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by timmiii
I've spoken to someone that has on his Evo and he said that in street driving, it's sometimes hard to engage smoothly. He told me that he had to rev up the engine to at least 3k and then let the clutch out inorder to get the car to start smoothly.
He obviously doesn't know how to drive then as I rev up to around 1500 and engage it smoothly. At first it is harsh, but that's because it is cerametallic 6 puck, but also it's new, every clutch is pretty harsh the first time you drive it.

You can get the clutch from most vendors here. I got mine from an EvoM member that was selling it new for pretty cheap so I couldn't resist. Just contact a vendor and I'm sure they'll help you out!
Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Read my long review/write-up on the Exedy stg2 4-puck cerametallic. Yes, it is always harsh to engage from a stop and requires higher revs than a normal non-pucked clutch. If your car is stock, you have no reason to get a pucked clutch. This is a racing clutch, not a daily driver...
Old Nov 17, 2007, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have it and probably have 100+ launches on it in 6K miles and it's still holding strong. Warrtalon's write-up is informative and spot .
Old Nov 17, 2007, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Read my long review/write-up on the Exedy stg2 4-puck cerametallic. Yes, it is always harsh to engage from a stop and requires higher revs than a normal non-pucked clutch. If your car is stock, you have no reason to get a pucked clutch. This is a racing clutch, not a daily driver...
Thanks for the writeup; it was indeed very informative.

Your writeup seemed to indicate that it got better (in terms of street driving) after a few hundred miles, no?

I don't care all that much about racing - but I do a few "street launches" every now and then.

I just want to get a lot more mileage out of the equipment; maybe that involves modifying my driving style but if I can get a clutch that doesn't require me to do so, all the better.

If you feel strongly that this is the wrong clutch for street driving, can you suggest another?

Thanks!