Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

stock airbox vs aftermarket intake

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2007, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock airbox vs aftermarket intake

alright, i've been running on the green turbo and cams for a while now with the stock intake box. i've heard of many many people running the green with aftermarket intakes and was wondering if it REALLY really does help. I don't want to lose the reliability and good filtering of the stock aribox (air, dirt, water). i have an injen setup sitting at home and i just don't really like the look of aftermarket intakes. so what i'm asking is will the stock airbox really be a restriction for the green turbo? obviously, not for the stockers.

by the way, i will be putting in gsc s2 cams and building my block soon this winter break so i might be leaning towards throwing maybe a buschur intake pipe in.

so.........again..is it really a restriction for the green...especially with cams? how big of a restriction? 10hp? 20? 30? i've been searching and i really haven't come across anyone running a green with the stock airbox (which PROBABLY means it is a restriction anyways) but i need to know from the pros...(that's you)
Old Nov 16, 2007, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well if you look around you will find that the stock box has proven to be a restriction. Many people find that its adequate for just an exhaust and tune. After more bolt ons the more power an aftermarket intake will gain. As far as the turbo inlet I am not sure how much can be gained there but just adding a conical filter with come type of shielding or leaving the stock snorkel on works. I have most basic bolts ons and adding my buschur air filter yielded 12hp and about 200-300rpm earlier spool...so with your setup I would suspect 15-20hp possibly. If you add a full intake system with piping extra tuning will be needed and possibly recalibrate the MAF which is no big deal if you take it to a knowledgable tuner. Pay no attention to people saying they made 400hp on stock airbox because if they had an intake they would have made 430hp. Just my thoughts.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

It most definitely will benefit your engine if you incorporate a means of blocking the ingestion of the hot under hood air, and if you road race, it will make an even bigger difference. It's very easy to fabricate one or if you into "bling", you can pay a bunch of money for something really purtty.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears87
Well if you look around you will find that the stock box has proven to be a restriction. Many people find that its adequate for just an exhaust and tune. After more bolt ons the more power an aftermarket intake will gain. As far as the turbo inlet I am not sure how much can be gained there but just adding a conical filter with come type of shielding or leaving the stock snorkel on works. I have most basic bolts ons and adding my buschur air filter yielded 12hp and about 200-300rpm earlier spool...so with your setup I would suspect 15-20hp possibly. If you add a full intake system with piping extra tuning will be needed and possibly recalibrate the MAF which is no big deal if you take it to a knowledgable tuner. Pay no attention to people saying they made 400hp on stock airbox because if they had an intake they would have made 430hp. Just my thoughts.
totally agree~!
Old Nov 16, 2007, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedLanEVO
alright, i've been running on the green turbo and cams for a while now with the stock intake box. i've heard of many many people running the green with aftermarket intakes and was wondering if it REALLY really does help. I don't want to lose the reliability and good filtering of the stock aribox (air, dirt, water). i have an injen setup sitting at home and i just don't really like the look of aftermarket intakes. so what i'm asking is will the stock airbox really be a restriction for the green turbo? obviously, not for the stockers.

by the way, i will be putting in gsc s2 cams and building my block soon this winter break so i might be leaning towards throwing maybe a buschur intake pipe in.

so.........again..is it really a restriction for the green...especially with cams? how big of a restriction? 10hp? 20? 30? i've been searching and i really haven't come across anyone running a green with the stock airbox (which PROBABLY means it is a restriction anyways) but i need to know from the pros...(that's you)
I think you are using the wrong Cams for your turbo (S2 w/ a FP Green per your signature)...You'd probably benefit more from the S1s, a better TB, and an intake manifold.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cij911
I think you are using the wrong Cams for your turbo (S2 w/ a FP Green per your signature)...You'd probably benefit more from the S1s, a better TB, and an intake manifold.
WELL, I GUESS I'LL TRY THESE OUT AND THEN IF I DONT LIKE THEM, GO WITH MILDER CAMS. IT WILL BE A COMPARISON THEN AND I WILL POST IT UP...I GUESS?
Old Nov 26, 2007, 07:08 PM

Do aftermarket intakes that work on the stock turbo also work on the green 20g?

Last edited by Evo8you2007; Nov 26, 2007 at 07:11 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo8you2007
Do aftermarket intakes that work on the stock turbo also work on the green 20g?

Old Nov 26, 2007, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

I agree with dbsears87