Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HTA & Twin-Scroll

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2007, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So evodan, how soon will your testing be done? Waiting on results from the TS setups, and love to actually see the hta35r ts setup be done w/results. Hope to read about it soon.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jspec EVO VIII
So evodan, how soon will your testing be done? Waiting on results from the TS setups, and love to actually see the hta35r ts setup be done w/results. Hope to read about it soon.
we have a little setback right now ''1 week'' so around monday 11-26-07 the 30r will dynoed...... then we install the 35r retune and redyno. then the hta mod if I decide to do it will be 2 3 weeks later....
Old Nov 18, 2007, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can definitely have the turbo re-done by FP and turned into a HTA. This is what i wanted to try with Mynes Performance Top Mount Twin Scroll Kit. Im just waiting on the dough but i know itll be a sick set up. Great low and mid with the ts, and hta. Nevermind the increased top end performance and spool with the Top Mount.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
we have a little setback right now ''1 week'' so around monday 11-26-07 the 30r will dynoed...... then we install the 35r retune and redyno. then the hta mod if I decide to do it will be 2 3 weeks later....
this is just awesome! best of luck
Old Nov 18, 2007, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Gosh a lot of hype with pretty minimal amount of results.

a) DB himself said HTA does not offer any peak gains

b) nobody has tested swapping a PT .63 a/r for a PT .63 A/R GT35R except me
Old Nov 19, 2007, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

I was unaware that top mount manifolds resulted in increased top end performance. Anyone care to briefly explain how this works?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Danner
I was unaware that top mount manifolds resulted in increased top end performance. Anyone care to briefly explain how this works?
well if the turbo is in the normal spot you get all low mid ranges power. if its top mounted then you get all top end power. duuuhh
Old Nov 19, 2007, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

From what I have read regarding Peakboost's top mount kit help keep the turbo spooled when in higher RPM's because the *decreased* back pressure from the long runners. I believe it was called HVS. High Velocity Something ill have to get back to you on that one.

edit: head in the clouds after re-reading my own and ted b's post. And i went and looked back and in on another post concerning the 37R Top Mount and E-85 and how the top mount effects spool with the long runners.

Last edited by Evo8Emperor; Nov 19, 2007 at 11:00 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 09:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
All else being equal, lengthening the runners decreases exhaust pulse velocity. (FYI)
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
PeakBoost website says: " High Volume Solution allows for less manifold backpressure in the top end of the rpm band"

http://cheapturbo.stores.yahoo.net/peevhvsma.html
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:33 AM
EvoM Guru

That seems to make sense in theory. However, I might note that relieving pressure by increasing primary volume (assuming this is in fact the case) would relieve it everywhere (like switching to a larger hotside), not just selectively in one place.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

That is probably true, Ted. However, since there are more pulses and more gas when RPMs are higher, perhaps it simply refers to the fact that exhaust backpressure is likely to be higher at higher RPMS, and that situation is mitigated by the larger primary volume?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Yes, exhaust backpressure is greatest at the hp peak. What I was alluding to is the realization that increasing the volume of the runners or turbine housing sufficiently enough to alleviate pressure up top reduces it everywhere, including ranges that impact spool characteristics.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 05:32 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by tseitz123
Hey! I have a few questions regarding 35R turbos. First of all, these new HTA ones, are they similar or comparable to twin-scroll? Secondly, if I were to get an HTA35R from Forced Performance or Buschur, would I be able to use that with a Full-Race Twin-scroll manifold? And lastly, could someone list out to me the OTHER parts I would need to complete the install (oil lines, gaskets, etc., etc.)
the HTA35R is a garrett 35R with a bigger 7blade compressor wheel. Thats it, just a bigger compressor wheel. The HTA modification does not change turbine wheel or housing, so you could easily use a twinscroll manifold and housing

That being said, twinscroll setups normally dont "like" mismatch turbos, so it might work well, and it might not. Hopefully we can do a back to back test of twinscroll 35R vs twinscroll HTA35R on Evodan's car

Originally Posted by GTVEVO
The new HTA turbo is not twin scroll, it is a normal T3 single exhaust inlet so a twin scroll manifold will not work with a single scroll turbo.
that is not entirely correct -- there is nothing at all wrong with using a single scroll turbo on a twinscroll manifold!!

hell yeah! if i can send the twin-scroll to FP for the upgrade, i'm buying it this week!
Decision made then!!! I'm goin with the Full-Race TS manifold AND TS 35R which I will then ship off to FP for the $450 upgrade to the HTA! Oh boy!!! I can't wait.
you can send the twinscroll 35R to FP and get the HTA upgrade. You just NEED to make sure you get a twinscroll T3 Garrett 35R. The turbonetics twinscroll T4 flanged F1-35R will not work with the HTA!

Originally Posted by evodan2004
me and geoff are dynoing my 30r twin scroll and then putting a 35r twin scroll on and re dynoing the car. we ''MIGHT'' also send it in for the HTA mod and redyno again and see if it dose anything. depends on funds and time. but the 30 to 35r comparison will be done....

evodan!!! i'm in central NJ, Middlesex County, exit 9 Turnpike, exit 123 Parkway! You have this setup? Thats nutty! Where you at in NJ?
i spend a lot of time in union beach (117 on the pkwy), thats where we do most of the east coast builds/fabrication. moving to matawan shortly!

Originally Posted by CBRD
let's get the testing going on my dyno...our new FR twinscroll seutp will be fun.. but not large, and not t3
sounds good chad! sean ivey was going to squeeze us in but i think he's been really busy lately. your dyno would be a great test facility for the TS 30R vs TS 35R test

Originally Posted by Danner
top mount manifolds will not result in increased top end performance. If anything it would decrease the performance because of the convoluted downpipe you have to run...

Originally Posted by Evo8Emperor
From what I have read regarding Peakboost's top mount kit help keep the turbo spooled when in higher RPM's because the *decreased* back pressure from the long runners. I believe it was called HVS. High Velocity Something ill have to get back to you on that one.
i dont think that is correct

Originally Posted by Ted B
Yes, exhaust backpressure is greatest at the hp peak. What I was alluding to is the realization that increasing the volume of the runners or turbine housing sufficiently enough to alleviate pressure up top reduces it everywhere, including ranges that impact spool characteristics.
you are correct (again)!! im not sure if you remember david buschur's stock replacement header test, but a great comparison of this is RNR's stock replacement ramhorn (which lost power everywhere over stock). This is an indication of what happens when too big and too large a runner is used, all else being equal
Old Nov 21, 2007, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Geoff,

In the context of Evo manifolds, what do you consider "too big and too large" a runner diameter?

Quick Reply: HTA & Twin-Scroll