Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I know this has been discussed but I"M FED UP W/ MY ACT CLUTCH!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2007, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this has been discussed but I"M FED UP W/ MY ACT CLUTCH!

Well after a few attempts at the track over the past month and a half and not being able to make any full boost "clean" passes i've come to the conclusion that my ACT clutch set-up is holding me back

Basically mods down below on an ACT HD w/ the street disc that was in the car when i bought it and only had 500 miles on it if that so i thought i'd keep it in there until it started slipping.

Well it seems to hold the HP but will not for the life of me allow me to shift quickly above 7500 rpm

Made 4 passes and each one would hardly let me get into gear unless i completely let off the gas>>>>clutch in>>>>shift>>>>clutch out>>>>and back on the gas obviously not helping my ET.

I had thought that it was just my driving technique as i still don't have a lot of seat time in the car but i don't think it's me anymore.

Sorry for the slight rant but i had high hopes after getting some new wheels and Nitto DR's which did help me get at 1.67 60 ft but damn that 1-2 shift ARGGGGHHH!

I think it's time for a twin disc set-up.......what do you think?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried to adjust the clutch pedal yet?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Do you have a NLTS mod?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

If your on the stock gear box that could very well be holding you back. The higher the RPM's the harder it will be to do the NLTS like you are trying to do.

I can do it easily in my car around 7K RPM, anything above that and she doesn't like it. And I'm on stock clutch and only basic mods though.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

- I have adjusted it w/o much luck

- Stock gear box w/ only 3000 miles on it and had the evo8 gear(s) put in and the prev owner said they said the syncros looked like new.

- I run an AEM EMS and have not played w/ the NLTS yet.

I know you can program it to drop the rpm while shifting but even still is that just going to be a band-aid cure as i would need the rpm's to drop down past 7000.

Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pr3z
If your on the stock gear box that could very well be holding you back. The higher the RPM's the harder it will be to do the NLTS like you are trying to do.

I can do it easily in my car around 7K RPM, anything above that and she doesn't like it. And I'm on stock clutch and only basic mods though.
Stock gear box works fine with me at 1000whp and shifting at 10k rpms.

Pat if your driving like i think you are your going to have to not slam them in but baby them in with a single disk. I would go to the quatermaster twin disk setup. for power shifting
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
- I have adjusted it w/o much luck

- Stock gear box w/ only 3000 miles on it and had the evo8 gear(s) put in and the prev owner said they said the syncros looked like new.

- I run an AEM EMS and have not played w/ the NLTS yet.

I know you can program it to drop the rpm while shifting but even still is that just going to be a band-aid cure as i would need the rpm's to drop down past 7000.

From hitting those "walls" in your tranny i would venture to say you syncros and sliders are a bit wore now
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ifarted2
Stock gear box works fine with me at 1000whp and shifting at 10k rpms.

Pat if your driving like i think you are your going to have to not slam them in but baby them in with a single disk. I would go to the quatermaster twin disk setup. for power shifting
Paul,

How's that quartermaster clutch for normal street driving compared to the Exedys

Problem is if i drive the car that way it falls outta boost quickly and takes a bit to recover and ET suffers bad

I know this car can easily go deep into the 10's if could NLS every gear and i'm sure the mph can come up 3-5.

Wierd thing is that i was thinking my TC was shot but after a fluid change and some passes it seems to be doing ok (probably me just being overly cautious)

So when i pull the clutch this week i'm thinking the Trans will go to shep for freshnin up.

Also i like the look of David's car w/ the CCW's but i think i may hold off as i thought it would be straight up "bolt-on" affair but it does require 3" stud up front and spacers

The Nitto's seemed to hold up pretty well w/ good track prep so maybe i'll save some dough and just throw some Nittos on my stock rims I know Al went 9's with em.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Paul,

How's that quartermaster clutch for normal street driving compared to the Exedys

Problem is if i drive the car that way it falls outta boost quickly and takes a bit to recover and ET suffers bad

I know this car can easily go deep into the 10's if could NLS every gear and i'm sure the mph can come up 3-5.

Wierd thing is that i was thinking my TC was shot but after a fluid change and some passes it seems to be doing ok (probably me just being overly cautious)

So when i pull the clutch this week i'm thinking the Trans will go to shep for freshnin up.

Also i like the look of David's car w/ the CCW's but i think i may hold off as i thought it would be straight up "bolt-on" affair but it does require 3" stud up front and spacers

The Nitto's seemed to hold up pretty well w/ good track prep so maybe i'll save some dough and just throw some Nittos on my stock rims I know Al went 9's with em.
I really think you just need more time at the track. I went 10.6 with cheap federal $400 dollar tires. You need to revv to 8500rpms with the turbo with the slower shifting to keep in good boost. The quarter master clutches are cheaper and will take a huge beating at the track and keep on going. Its a little more harsh on the street.

Sounds like your getting addicted to the drag racing. I would get a truck or a beater for a daily driver if i where you

Try the half throttle take offs where ya revv her up and slip the clutch real good
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

I really think you just need more time at the track. I went 10.6 with cheap federal $400 dollar tires. You need to revv to 8500rpms with the turbo with the slower shifting to keep in good boost. The quarter master clutches are cheaper and will take a huge beating at the track and keep on going. Its a little more harsh on the street.

Sounds like your getting addicted to the drag racing. I would get a truck or a beater for a daily driver if i where you

Try the half throttle take offs where ya revv her up and slip the clutch real good
Yup def need more track time.....funny thing is even w/ the DR's i slipped it pretty good to 1.8-1.9 60's but when i slipped it less it went 1.6's lol.

I already rev the car to 8500 and tried all kinds of shifting fast, normal, and slow and the car just didn't want to go into gear smoothly.

Sorry Paul but been addicted to drag racing for years now just not on this level as most of my other cars were daily driven street cars.

I have an F150 for towing and a 93 Celica for putting around.......i just refuse to turn this brand new evo into a full drag car....................................YET........ .....maybe next year
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Yup def need more track time.....funny thing is even w/ the DR's i slipped it pretty good to 1.8-1.9 60's but when i slipped it less it went 1.6's lol.

I already rev the car to 8500 and tried all kinds of shifting fast, normal, and slow and the car just didn't want to go into gear smoothly.

Sorry Paul but been addicted to drag racing for years now just not on this level as most of my other cars were daily driven street cars.

I have an F150 for towing and a 93 Celica for putting around.......i just refuse to turn this brand new evo into a full drag car....................................YET........ .....maybe next year
sounds like your syncros are a little beat up now
The 5 speed is really easy to change them out. I did my own.
ya got to find what works for ya at the track to get out of the hole. i know Lucas English half throttles it and slips her real good. he cuts 1.5s and 1.6 runs 11.2 with a stock turbo. he also loves to power shift but he has a twin disk. I think his power level is 429whp and 411 tq. He has 250 passes on his twin disk and no tranny problems. He did have to freshen up his tranny when he had the 6 puck after power shifting allot
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like your syncros are a little beat up now
The 5 speed is really easy to change them out. I did my own.
ya got to find what works for ya at the track to get out of the hole. i know Lucas English half throttles it and slips her real good. he cuts 1.5s and 1.6 runs 11.2 with a stock turbo. he also loves to power shift but he has a twin disk. I think his power level is 429whp and 411 tq. He has 250 passes on his twin disk and no tranny problems. He did have to freshen up his tranny when he had the 6 puck after power shifting allot
Ya still need to find the right technique.....but i def think i'm on the right track.

I'm DONE w/ the ACT and will look into the quartermaster(do you have a link to it) or an exedy since i can get a deal from FULL FUNCTION.

No prob yanking the trans out i think i've done/helped on about 5 in just the past 2 months lol.

By the way haven't heard from ya but i'm guessing the package was received
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Ya still need to find the right technique.....but i def think i'm on the right track.

I'm DONE w/ the ACT and will look into the quartermaster(do you have a link to it) or an exedy since i can get a deal from FULL FUNCTION.

No prob yanking the trans out i think i've done/helped on about 5 in just the past 2 months lol.

By the way haven't heard from ya but i'm guessing the package was received
Yup got her! Thxs! The flange doesn't mate up right for the Q45 tho
Old Nov 19, 2007, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

I think Pat needs to get more track time with the launching, but the clutch is definitely an issue.

Paul, I'm sorry about the flange not being the correct one, I'll let Sean know about it and we can get it figured out from there....

Jerry
Old Nov 20, 2007, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

it sounds like a disengagement problem which may or may not be the actual clutches fault. If the flywheel was resurfaced when that ACT was installed (which it should have been) there is always the chance someone didnt properly machine each 'step' of the flywheel accordingly. This can cause all kinds of disengagement headaches and poor shifting. Especially at higher rpm. I have seen it several times in the past.

Problem is the only real way to figure out whats going on is to pull the trans and clutch and inspect everything. Im sure you could get a disk thickness spec from ACT and have a competent machinist measure the step on your flywheel and see if its within spec.

HTH

-bill

Quick Reply: I know this has been discussed but I"M FED UP W/ MY ACT CLUTCH!